Man got electrocuted on top of train

I've always thought the flash that happens when you electrocute yourself,especially in cartoons was something they showed for effect, much like the sound of NOS. never knew it actually happens :ashamed:

Youtube will doing some good public service by keeping this video up. Damn it should be broadcasted in all stations in Mumbai .

touching mains is nothing like that. I've lost count of how many times I've done it :p

EDIT: still dangerous though. Dont try it at home folks!

actually, AC voltage would repel you while DC attract, to put it in simple terms

so when you do come in contact with AC volts in ur mains, ist partially yur reflexes pulling you away and mostly AC current at work :p

although, high voltages either AC or DC = instant toast

Rave said:
actually, AC voltage would repel you while DC attract, to put it in simple terms

so when you do come in contact with AC volts in ur mains, ist partially yur reflexes pulling you away and mostly AC current at work :p

lol why would ac repel and dc attract :p
In ac, there's a point of no voltage, so u have a chance to pull urself back, so its only ur reflex at work, whereas in dc u have no chance cuz its coninuous in most cases. that's why at lower voltages dc is more dangerous.
but yea, at 25kV, doesnt matter whether its ac or dc :p

raksrules said:
Is the distance between the cable and the train roof less here ?

the distance between the new trains and the wire is less. so far only the new trains + mail+ freight run on these tracks. old trains cant run on them i think due to the ac/dc difference.

so when any oversmart guy stands up he becomes the next good conductor for the electricity i think. happened once last month when someone stood up and the full current to the train just went out. it came back after he was thrown down on the roof of train by the severity of the shock. people who saw him said he was burnt black as charcoal.

tifosi said:
lol why would ac repel and dc attract :p
In ac, there's a point of no voltage, so u have a chance to pull urself back, so its only ur reflex at work, whereas in dc u have no chance cuz its coninuous in most cases. that's why at lower voltages dc is more dangerous.
but yea, at 25kV, doesnt matter whether its ac or dc :p

yes, i was merely translating a joke i read on the forum once about some vivia questions, or maybe it was an answer from someone in our lab exam :lol:

Rave said:

Once I was setting up something of UPs and by mistake the ups went on . and if i remember correctly it felt same as AC . but batteries dont give ac . dont they ?

I was thinking of the dude who was reaching up to him... how would his family feel if he too had gotten fried trying to save the guy? Btw, wouldn't the people in the bogie also feel the shock or is it insulated from the top of the train?

^ insulated ofcourse, else no one would be going to work and Hitler would be kicking himself in his grave for not thinking about plan that earlier.

chiron said:
I was thinking of the dude who was reaching up to him... how would his family feel if he too had gotten fried trying to save the guy? Btw, wouldn't the people in the bogie also feel the shock or is it insulated from the top of the train?

6pack said:
^ insulated ofcourse, else no one would be going to work and Hitler would be kicking himself in his grave for not thinking about plan that earlier.

Yeah, there would be insulation of course, but it was still dangerous for the people outside. It was sheer good luck that none of the people outside were in contact with him or the metal body on the outside. Even the typical so called insulator materials have their limitations of stopping power and 25kV is nothing to laugh about. At high voltages electricity can jump across air gaps.
max_demon said:
Once I was setting up something of UPs and by mistake the ups went on . and if i remember correctly it felt same as AC . but batteries dont give ac . dont they ?

Maybe you touched some point on the output end of the inverter circuit. Even though a UPS runs on a DC battery. It still needs to convert the DC to 220V AC to drive the equipment connected to it.

I got electrocuted once while fiddling around with a 6V battery and a step down transformer connected without a diode to stop reversal. I had 100's of electric shocks in my life time, but that was the worst one yet though it was just for an instant. I had a Multimeter connected on the output end, It showed 999V before it got fried. That's why they put a diode on the secondary coil output going to the battery.

[OT] I get static shocks all the time. Whether I touch someone or something like the car door. It's damn irritating. And when it starts it goes on for like weeks at a stretch. Does it happen to anyone else ? :ashamed: [/OT]

max_demon said:

prolly bad earthing

Sei said:
[OT] I get static shocks all the time. Whether I touch someone or something like the car door. It's damn irritating. And when it starts it goes on for like weeks at a stretch. Does it happen to anyone else ? :ashamed: [/OT]

:rofl:...nothing to worry about. You wont die;)

Back