Help me decide: ASUS RT-N16 or Netgear WNDR3700?

Wow , it works, only it shows all the drives on my pc :lol:

Tried the same video, I felt that it was slightly choppy like when the camera pans across a scene and all. Airplay it was smoother but I think it downscaled the video as well before pushing it to the ipad

Select Samba and it will show you your PC and all its shared folders in OPlayer HD.
The iPad I had received was faulty and had many other problems. It has now been replaced. The thing is that iPad left a bitter taste and thus instead of checking the iPad I got as replacement, I put it for sale straightaway. I am waiting for my N10 to be delivered and if someone doesn't pay my asking price then I will just open it up and test both of them this weekend and choose which one is better for me.

Wow , it works, only it shows all the drives on my pc :lol:

Tried the same video, I felt that it was slightly choppy like when the camera pans across a scene and all. Airplay it was smoother but I think it downscaled the video as well before pushing it to the ipad

Exactly. In my case it was very choppy. But right now I cant say that whether it is because of the iPad or the router. So i am gonna check with all three, my laptop, iPad and N10 this weekend.

my question got lost somewhere in the big discussion.. pratik if you listening, can u answer this one..

can i put my dsl login credentials in apple router? like at my netgear, i get authenticated for my mtnl broadband with phone number for ID and CA number as password..

my mtnl dsl is in bridge mode. SO my netgear wifi router does the authentication work.. does apple airport extreme has this feature where i put authentication credentials in apple router and not the dsl router..

my question got lost somewhere in the big discussion.. pratik if you listening, can u answer this one..

can i put my dsl login credentials in apple router? like at my netgear, i get authenticated for my mtnl broadband with phone number for ID and CA number as password..

my mtnl dsl is in bridge mode. SO my netgear wifi router does the authentication work.. does apple airport extreme has this feature where i put authentication credentials in apple router and not the dsl router..

I am guessing from this article www.ehow.com/how_5863503_set-modems-routers-airport-extreme.html, that you can.

i got Airport extreme yesterday for 10,710 Delhi.

Hooked it, it worked great.

But........

just about 15 feet from the router, 2 concrete 6" walls away, i am getting less than full signal.. the same i used to get from my old not so costly router..

any comments?

on terrace, of my 2 floor house, where router is on staircase of first floor, i get no signal at all.. absolutely no signal with my ipad..

lets see what u guys think..

^ Told you

well between a big discussion, i never found anyone saying that "don't buy airport extreme, its coverage is bad". Perhaps coverage was praised by pratik..

When you say 'worked great', what exactly did you mean?

worked great.. well, i meant worked without much configuration and was quick to get connected via mac interface.. that's all. Although, i have no problems fiddling with normal router's interfaces..

I find websites are opening snappier than with my old router with same ISP.. and guest network is a good option..

i also found out i do not have any 5ghz device in my home including my ipad 2.. so could not test 5ghz band..

but, i don't understand why the signal not that great as i expected..

i mean on terrace it gets disconnected at extreme ends.. i mean about 40 feet diagonally away..

i don't want to judge as yet, cos its a premium product. I must say, i am disappointed with coverage but there are other things to a router other than coverage... thats what i am evaluating..

performance so far is good.

also, these are the times, when u wish u had return policies like developed countries... lets see if FDI brings this culture...

i got Airport extreme yesterday for 10,710 Delhi.
on terrace, of my 2 floor house, where router is on staircase of first floor, i get no signal at all.. absolutely no signal with my ipad....

How much did you spend on your old router which gave nearly the same coverage? specify model if possible, whats the use of spending 10-11k on a router if we can get nearly the same coverage from something cheap :confused:

but, i don't understand why the signal not that great as i expected..

i mean on terrace it gets disconnected at extreme ends.. i mean about 40 feet diagonally away..

Every wall reduces the signal by 3-6dB, and RCC reduces it three times as much. In-ceiling wiring also interferes with the radiation, plus all routers are omnis. Careful placement is the key to getting good wireless, this is the fifth time I am saying in this thread. I do understand that router configuration is daunting to some, but you can achieve excellent results with a bit of tweaking and moving the router to a better location.

If you need more signal strength, you can fallback to 54Mbps. This will increase range by using all three antennae for one signal - I get four to five times the throughput in very remote locations that are serviced with a repeater. In N mode I get about 11Mbps and in G mode about 48Mbps, when the repeater is on the ground floor (router on third floor - about 45 feet through two RCC slab ceilings, but almost vertically in a straight line). 40 feet from router through one or two walls does not sound like less range than usual. I get a little more than that because of some pain taken in placement.

I do not believe that there are many, if any, better metrics for a router than throughput and coverage, and how they are traded off for each other.

How much did you spend on your old router which gave nearly the same coverage? specify model if possible, whats the use of spending 10-11k on a router if we can get nearly the same coverage from something cheap :confused:

about 1300 bucks max..netgear wgr614..

I do not believe that there are many, if any, better metrics for a router than throughput and coverage, and how they are traded off for each other.

i was thinking to use 1 router for my whole house.. repeater option seems better..

i have tried different placements for AE.. coverage does improve a bit.. i finally got coverage on terrace.. but not full bars.. RCC and stairs RCC made double RCC blockage with 1 wall in between.. so about 2 RCC + 1 wall.. that made no signal reach on terrace..

i may use airport express in future as repeaters for areas with bad coverage, if i construct another floor..

I finally got fed up of single router solution too and went for repeater as well. Got the N66u and EA-N66 pair. I might have solved my problems keeping one router somewhere in the center of the house but wasn't able to do so. So now I have the router on one floor on one extreme of the house and the repeater one floor below on the opposite extreme of my house and get full coverage on both floors.

Will try to post a quick review sometime soon

If you need more signal strength, you can fallback to 54Mbps. This will increase range by using all three antennae for one signal - I get four to five times the throughput in very remote locations that are serviced with a repeater.
Could not reproduce this with a SISO tablet, I think your experience applies only to MIMO clients.

In N mode I get about 11Mbps and in G mode about 48Mbps,
You've got the WNDR 3700 if i'm not mistaken, i don't see any option in the WNDR 3800 to set to G. I've tried upto 54, 150 & 300 and there is no difference in transfer speeds.

The upto 300 gave me a link speed of 150Mbs so the tablet was doing channel bonding but the transfer speeds showed no improvement over the slower ones which surprised me.

15 feet away with two 11 inch walls in between gives me a signal of 55-60 dbM on 2.4 Ghz and 80dbM with 5Ghz. I use the 2.4 Ghz exclusively now. This corresponds to 4/4 to 3/4 wifi bars on the tablet so it gets the signal well enough. There is just one channel available to me on that band so i'm ok for now.

- - - Updated - - -

well between a big discussion, i never found anyone saying that "don't buy airport extreme, its coverage is bad". Perhaps coverage was praised by pratik..
Yeah and pratik has an intel centrino 6500 laptop, which is a n450 client.

Your ipad 2 is a single band n150 client that will only connect at n65 in reality on the 2.4 ghz band.

i also found out i do not have any 5ghz device in my home including my ipad 2.. so could not test 5ghz band..
A dongle could fix that if they are laptop/desktop.

don't want to judge as yet, cos its a premium product. I must say, i am disappointed with coverage but there are other things to a router other than coverage... thats what i am evaluating..

performance so far is good.
Upgrade your clients and you will see an improvement, the tablet won't benefit unless you get one with MIMO .

also, these are the times, when u wish u had return policies like developed countries... lets see if FDI brings this culture...
FDI will bring more products, return policies is up to credit card companies. People on amazon ain't buying stuff with cash, their credit card allows them a month to reject a purchase on any pretext. This is where the try & buy comes in.

Presently Indian CC do not offer the option to reject a purchase, the only difference to a debit card they offer is they allow you to settle the bill later.

Your ipad 2 is a single band n150 client that will only connect at n65 in reality on the 2.4 ghz band.

A dongle could fix that if they are laptop/desktop.

Upgrade your clients and you will see an improvement, the tablet won't benefit unless you get one with MIMO .

FDI will bring more products, return policies is up to credit card companies. People on amazon ain't buying stuff with cash, their credit card allows them a month to reject a purchase on any pretext. This is where the try & buy comes in.

Presently Indian CC do not offer the option to reject a purchase, the only difference to a debit card they offer is they allow you to settle the bill later.

Oops, did not switch on 5ghz band on AE, it turns out you have put it on manually. Found ipad2 does support 5ghz and my dell xps laptop as well.. but poor signal on dell laptop but ipad gets full bars about 10 feet away with 2 - 4" walls in between..

well, regarding return policy, if you buy with cash from a mall anywhere in developed countries, like i used to buy in london sometimes, you just go and return and get cash back.. but we in India proudly write: bika hua maal, wapas nahi hota". I once purchased an APC on line UPS worth 46k with batteries - 2KVA ups - recommended by the apc dealer as per my told requirements. Once installed, i found that not even 25% load was there when i put all my devices on it. I asked him to replace it with a 1 kva unit within 12 hours of installation. He said, since the box is open, i cannot replace.. (i got it replaced with some persuasion though)

not fare, people should have choice to try and return.. but i understand in India, these policies will be rather exploited than used for genuine reasons..

Oops, did not switch on 5ghz band on AE, it turns out you have put it on manually.
Very good, so even ipad2 supports 5ghz. Thought only ipad3 and above did so.

Found ipad2 does support 5ghz and my dell xps laptop as well.. but poor signal on dell laptop but ipad gets full bars about 10 feet away with 2 - 4" walls in between..
4 inch walls, how lucky you are :)

Now you need to do a file transfer test and see what transfer speed you get. Just copy a 100-200MB file.

2.5MB/s with the ipad2 will be very good. Your dell might do better than that.

Am surprised you went with the extreme thought you had decided on tp-links.

well, regarding return policy, if you buy with cash from a mall anywhere in developed countries, like i used to buy in london sometimes, you just go and return and get cash back.. but we in India proudly write: bika hua maal, wapas nahi hota". I once purchased an APC on line UPS worth 46k with batteries - 2KVA ups - recommended by the apc dealer as per my told requirements. Once installed, i found that not even 25% load was there when i put all my devices on it. I asked him to replace it with a 1 kva unit within 12 hours of installation. He said, since the box is open, i cannot replace.. (i got it replaced with some persuasion though)

not fare, people should have choice to try and return.. but i understand in India, these policies will be rather exploited than used for genuine reasons..
It means people with doubt and no cash to lose will not make a purchase so the seller loses as a result. But he cannot sell an open product because no customer will accept it. Both lose customer as well as seller. So they get less stock because they cant shift it and few months after a product is announced you cannot find it anywhere except online.

What madness :(

Could not reproduce this with a SISO tablet, I think your experience applies only to MIMO clients.

Maybe. The only SISO client I have is a Sony Xperia Mini Pro, which has the worst Wifi performance known to man and loses all signal more than 15 feet from the router - sensitivity is about -65dBm. Therefore I cannot validate or reject that hypothesis.

You've got the WNDR 3700 if i'm not mistaken, i don't see any option in the WNDR 3800 to set to G. I've tried upto 54, 150 & 300 and there is no difference in transfer speeds.

54 = G mode (a wifi scanner will display it as transmitting a 802.11G signal when backed off to 54Mbps). The 3700 (V2) has three modes, 2x2 40MHz (300Mbps), 2x2 20MHz (130Mbps) and 54Mbps. I see a 6-8dB signal strength improvement between 130Mbps and 54Mbps in remote locations(>40 feet), with no difference in transfer speeds. When closer to the router the 130 mode gives me 1-1.5MB/s extra throughput (and roughly similar signal strength), but that is meaningless because I rarely, if ever, use the 2.4GHz band anyway.

The 6dB signal strength indicates to me that the router duplexes the transmitters in 54Mbps mode.

single band n150 client that will only connect at n65 in reality on the 2.4 ghz band.

Wifi is a big victim of the technology marketing scam. This is a prime example of that truth.

Hello everyone!

i was about to post another thread by the same title, but suspecting that one such thread must already be present here on TE as well (as it's on the net on many other websites), i checked and found this. am seeing that the discussion is currently in progress on apple's airport extreme. sorry to interrupt, but being still confused after reading several pages on this topic over the net, i need some suggestions with regards to my usage.

am not well-versed in networking subjects, but can understand a few basics. i currently have a 450TC1 router in my PC room, and have connected the desktop to it (wired) & laptop (wireless). i need a better router now (preferably to be installed in 'repeater' mode) to stream HD movies to my media player placed in the hall, about 10-15ft away from my PC room, with 1 interrupting wall. am confused between the 2 models in the subject. am getting the asus one (used) for 4k, while the netgear one i'll have to buy a new piece for ~6k. the media player supports 802.11n. am the only wifi user at home (single floor), with only a laptop, the desktop, and the media player to connect to the router (most of the times, not simultaneously). would the dual-band on the netgear router be beneficial to me, given the price-difference? i have a seagate NAS, but getting to use the router for torrent-DLs sometimes would also be good, though not absolutely necessarily. could someone pls suggest to me, keeping in mind the price-factor & usage, which one should i go for? basically, to put, am not sure whether i need the dual-band or not, given the price-difference as well. please advise. the net-plan i have is of MTNL's DSL 1333 NU (1 mbps day, 2 mbps at night/Sundays).

thanks!

Is your media player not connecting to the current router?

My understanding, though maybe incorrect, is that operating router in repeater/AP mode loses the ability to use the built-in 'NAS' function.

am not well-versed in networking subjects, but can understand a few basics. i currently have a 450TC1 router in my PC room, and have connected the desktop to it (wired) & laptop (wireless). i need a better router now (preferably to be installed in 'repeater' mode) to stream HD movies to my media player placed in the hall, about 10-15ft away from my PC room, with 1 interrupting wall.
So you have a g router whose max output is 54Mbs.

You did not mention what media player you are using ? so i will assume its a 2.4Ghz n capable that has a max link speed of 72Mbs. At the distance you described it will probably link up at 65Mbs or even 54Mbs with either of the two router models mentioned in the thread title.

In other words pretty much the same as your g router currently. A marginal improvement. That is provided you cannot upgrade your media player, if you can then you can use either router to replace your 450TC1 and get an improvement.

See what matters more here isn't range (you are within it) but throughput. So a repeater is not a good idea because it will halve your throughput. For web browsing its not a problem but for media streaming a repeater is the opposite of what you want.

You best option and cheapest one is to run a cat5 cable from the 450TC1 to the media player provided it accepts a ethernet connection. However this might not be your easiest option.

To give you some reference. I get a real life SMB transfer speed of 5 Mbs from the same distance but through 2 walls with a tablet. That means the max file size i can transmit over two hours is < 5GB. Anything more than that and it will lag. But less than that works fine. I'm good upto 720p. Or even 1080p provided the file size transmitted remains less than 5GB over the viewing duration.

Note that this is with a tablet which is an inherently low powered device. A media player that will allow a N300 dongle or has a wifi PCI-ex chip say would manage double that easily if used as the media player.. So file sizes of 10-15GB become feasible.

In addition a key point i've noticed here is the wifi capable media player must buffer properly and be optimised for wifi transmission. If the player isn't up to scratch then your network (wireless or not) might be adequate but the viewing experience will still be under par.

am confused between the 2 models in the subject. am getting the asus one (used) for 4k, while the netgear one i'll have to buy a new piece for ~6k. the media player supports 802.11n. am the only wifi user at home (single floor), with only a laptop, the desktop, and the media player to connect to the router (most of the times, not simultaneously). would the dual-band on the netgear router be beneficial to me, given the price-difference?
5 Ghz requires the clients to be placed a third of the way closer than 2.4G. It also requires powered clients that can take a dongle or pci chip to get the advantages that 5Ghz offers.

What is the capability of your media player's wi-fi ? can it be upgraded, replaced entirely or is it fixed.

Being the only wifi user in the home is good, but how busy is the wifi neighbourhood around you ? Are there lots of other wifi networks around you or not ? When you try to connect up to your wifi, do you see a long list of other networks.

i have a seagate NAS, but getting to use the router for torrent-DLs sometimes would also be good, though not absolutely necessarily. could someone pls suggest to me, keeping in mind the price-factor & usage, which one should i go for? basically, to put, am not sure whether i need the dual-band or not, given the price-difference as well. please advise. the net-plan i have is of MTNL's DSL 1333 NU (1 mbps day, 2 mbps at night/Sundays).
If you don't require dual band the asus 16n is a good model which would serve your needs. In terms of hardware they are pretty similar 128MB RAM with 16MB flash. Just that one is dual band and the other is not. Both are N300. If your wifi clients are N300 then you get twice the transfer speed. Otherwise you will not get much improvement.

Ok.
So I finally got to test out all 3 devices on the network with the same file.

My el-cheapo router is connected to my PC via ethernet.
My laptop, Nexus 10 and iPad 4 connect with the router wirelessly(not at the same time). No neighbourhood networks to speak off.

The file i chose for this test is a 14GB mkv format rip of the Avengers Blu-ray. It was stored on an external HDD connected to my PC.

I had tested this file with the iPad before and it wasn't able to play it stutter free for even a second.

I used the MX Player on the Nexus 10. In Software decoder mode the result was the same. Playback with lots of stuttering. However it plays the file without any stuttering when I select the Hardware Decoder mode. It is however not perfect because it pauses every few seconds. There is no tearing or stuttering but it pauses every few seconds as if buffering the file and then it plays for a few seconds flawlessly.

I used the Media Player Classic on my laptop to play the same file. The playback was flawless for the most part. In high intensity quick action scenes as in the scene in Avengers when Ironman jump starts one of the engines, there was same stuttering as experienced on the iPad and the N10 in S/W decoder mode.

So is the router really the culprit here, or is it just too much to ask off present day Wi-Fi technology or it's implementation on my PC or the Nexus when I say i want to stream 1080p content without any stuttering.

BTW, I get constant 2.5 MBps data transfer speed when I am transferring any files over the network from my PC to my laptop. Haven't checked with the N10 as ES File Explorer doesn;t show the data transfer speeds when copying data, but I have found the speeds to be more or less the same.

If it helps, I am attaching a screenshot of the Network Signal Info app on my Nexus 10. BTW, the N10 is capable of connecting via the 5 GHz channel, so if that can help increase the throughput, I can invest in a 5 GHz capable router as well. I usually sit 1 ft away from the router.

Back