Help me decide: ASUS RT-N16 or Netgear WNDR3700?

I bought mine for just 120 $ for sealed box and airport express for 60$.
My airport extreme went in my house and airport express went to uncles house where it covers two floors adequately. Entire floor where located it has best range and streaming and one floor below it gives pretty good coverage that except bed rooms , hall and kitchen area is covered well and entire upper floor is excellent range.
And again same experience in uncles residence. Just no reboot and excellent coverage. This express replaced triple antenna tp link.
And their also no complaints from uncle and cousin. Its in service since last four months. They have all good things to say about it when i asked them.

I will tell about our buildings. These are 1980's constructions with solid 12 inch brick walls and all concrete. RCC structures.
Drilling with drill machine is headache even for professional persons.

And for that kind buildings,these apple routers just one each are proving adequate.

Small test for all those apple haters.
Does your laptop connect at full speed of your router and wifi card specifications.
Do you ever see connected at 300 mbps. 450 mbps.

My latitude 6520 with centrino 6300 connects at full 450 mbps with airport extreme and at 300 mbps with airport express.
For those who may not know where to see this,
Its either at windows task manager network pane. Or at networking center.

Competitive price for a dual stream N450, everybody else wants 13k+.

Do you have any devices that can make full use of it. Or can upgrade them to do so. Your mac pc's might be able to use it but the ipad will be single stream only, possibly 40Mhz mode in the 5Ghz, if its a recent model.

The problem with that is all well & good until those apple products need to communicate with others.

Excellent post. I must say.
My environment is all mixed
My home has four laptops two dells one lenovo one 6yrs old vaio.
One desktop
One network printer
One normal all in one both are brother printers.

Two iPads and two iPhones and couple of galaxy.

All pc and apples connect well and with airport utility.

You wont believe how I set up airport extreme.
I switched it on,
My iPhone picked it up straight away from wireless section of settings.
Then it itself gave option on same page set up this airport extreme.

Within one or two minutes , entire network was set up with passwords and security as well.

I never had to bother to login to some url and type this password that password save setting reboot an all which I used to do with buffalo and asus.

Since then its working and not a single time I felt i need to reboot the router.

I will tell about our buildings. These are 1980's constructions with solid 12 inch brick walls and all concrete. RCC structures.
Drilling with drill machine is headache even for professional persons.
Airtel got the job done inside 10 minutes. This isn't a problem if you own the premises. Punch a hole, run the wire in a conduit outside the house to upper levels as necessary.

And for that kind buildings,these apple routers just one each are proving adequate.

Small test for all those apple haters.
Does your laptop connect at full speed of your router and wifi card specifications.
Do you ever see connected at 300 mbps. 450 mbps.
Those are link speeds and do not mean much, what they do is confirm your client can talk 2 or three stream on both bands.

The real test is throughput. For that you need something like iperf. client + server and test throughput in different locations. That will give you a better idea as to how fast stuff really is or isn't being received. That is real world.

You are incredibly fortunate that you are happy with the extreme. But you had to take the risk and buy it. because it worked for you it may or may not work for others. That is the really frustrating thing about all this wireless business :(

Its easiest for student types & temp workers who only need coverage in the same room or at the most in the next one. They can go botom of the barrel cheap 2.4Ghz and be happy. Once you want coverage in the whole house the game gets more complicated.

My latitude 6520 with centrino 6300 connects at full 450 mbps with airport extreme and at 300 mbps with airport express.
For those who may not know where to see this,
Its either at windows task manager network pane. Or at networking center.
I'm not really sold on the three stream business as yet. Its good for a strong to medium signal once you get away throughput drops to the point you wonder what the big deal really is.

The reality it would seem to me in the router market is,
to get good one stream, you need to get a two stream router and to get good two stream you need to get a three stream. I'm not quite sure why that is. Maybe power amplifiers. maybe 2xT 2XR just receives better than 1xT 1XR

What do you all think ?

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for taking out time to write an elaborate answer.. really appreciate it.. i think, any router above or around 10k price is proving to be good for my kind of requirements with 8 wifi and 3 wired devices at home + occasional guests pouring in my 2 story building of 15 by 60 feet dimensions each floor.. router placed in middle of both floors..
You will get good coverage in the region of the router and in the region directly above it. If you want coverage in the back rooms that might be challenging depending on how your house is built. Again if your requirements are light then it will not matter.

If you can find a vendor that will allow you to try out a couple of products then you will get your match. But the problem i find is once you open the box you own it. No return or exchange. And this is with flipkart, so forget about smaller shops.

with ddwrt though and if i touch 14k budget, i can have 2 usbs, dual concurrent bands and hdd streaming, 3g connection facility + fabulous coverage and throughput in n66 asus.. but 14k is a bit too much right now..
I'm looking at the wndr 3800 currently, it only has 1 usb but you can attach a hub so its not limited.

You don't want to get a 3700 because the one that is being sold right now is a v3. The one everybody raved about was v1 & v2. What is the wndr 3800 ? its a v2 with double the RAM & flash and some cloud software. It runs open-wrt & dd-wrt. open-wrt seems to be more attractive to me at the moment but i'm still trying to figure out what attractive actually means.

Router manufacturers have this annoying habit of keeping the model number the same and changing the hardware underneath.

wndr 3700 v3 has no 3rd party support as it runs a broadcom chip whereas the wndr 3800 can use all the stuff that was done for the v2 with the atheros.

if i have to remain around 10k mark, trying to figure out whats best.. :)
Harpreet has a conservative suggestion that i've seen in other threads. If you own the house then you can wire it as you see fit and buy cheap TP-links N300s and set up access points as you like. That will give you very good coverage but you will be limited to the 2.4Ghz band.

Now whether 2 or 3 tp-links does a better job than one powerful router is hard to say. Pratik seems to think otherwise, presumably he ran those tp-links with dd-wrt and still found them to be lacking.

Thing with many cheap components is its modular and easier to manage and cheap to maintain, one router goes, replace it. you still have a network. You main guy goes and you have nothing until you get a replacement from the service center. Asus IIANM has a 3 year warranty so thats not bad.

You need to conduct a site survey, so get a program like inSSIDer or wifi analyser and see how crowded the 2.4 ghz space where you live actually is. it might be very crowded in which case you will be better off with dual band or you might be very lucky and find its not very crowded at all in which case 2.4 ghz will work very well. It stretches a third of the way further than 5Ghz does.

The drawback here, if you're lucky to have a 2.4 ghz spectrum is that it only applies on the day you did the test, 6 months or a year from now more 2.4 networks might crop up and mess with your throughput. You will then wish you had got a dual band. So there is a hedge to consider.

After going through asus then buffalo then dd wrt. Over last 3 yrs,
None of them could deliver flawless youtube streaming on my bsnl broadband at 2mbps.
But apple router can deliver that.

Broadband connection remains same. Client config. Remains same. Only change is wifi router.

Why is that ??

Secondly. I had to reboot router every now and then to fix it. But apple router is on since box was opened.

Why is that ??

Dont enjoy bashing apple and its router.
Its solid product and supported by solid firmware.

If apple products are bought at right price. They are the best.
Its your fault that you do not know where and how to buy apple gear at right price

OP has found quite right price in india. So its pretty good.
It because people dont understand how mac is written its a very well written OS which only works within the boundaries infact no one can beat it in that boundaries but the moment it puts the feet out its lost and hopeless.Its a solid product at a very steep price.

I agree steep price. Thats why I said once you know the correct market price of apple product. You should decide then. Not on seeing the mrp.

@blr_p

You are right about through put part.
I will tell you my no.s
Over gigabit,its around 650-800 Mbps.
Over 450 mbps 3*3 stream,it moves big files.
I can stream 1080p file from my desktop to my tv connected to laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now my desktop and laptop is part of windows home group and I can just click on any video shared over from desktop and it starts right away and have no lags or stutter to report.

wow.. i am happy to see the debate, constructive one.. and yes, nice to know a place like TE to get informed via right people..

I like the idea of harpreet narrated by blr_p.. I am actual doing the same in my house right now. 1 dsl in bridge mode hooked to a 54 mbps wifi old netgear white router - this router further extends via lan to a switch (not gigabyte) and another same wifi netgear white router hooked to the primary netgear for my room..

so total 4 router including the dsl one from mtnl.. And i did this arrangement last week when i was getting constant drops on connection over wifi.. I just distributed the load. The system is much better and has not required a single reboot in last 3 days when there is a very heavy use in my house.. really 24X7 heavy usage.. sometime multiple youtube streaming happening,torrents, browsing, teamviewer meetings, IP phone calls (over VPN).. etc..

Also, changing the DNS to openDNS made my life much easier.. I asked the mtnl linemen to also check the wiring from post got it redone..

Now, after doing all this, i found that my frustration for months was not because of ISP but too much load on a poor low standard wifi router, getting the brunt of over 10 devices sometimes..

After the changes i made last week, the current system is working great. I see no issues except if i buy a very good router now, i can get better wifi speeds, gigabyte ports and more robust router to handle lot of wifi devices at once..

I also somewhat agree to pratik even though i have not used airport extreme, but before every purchase of an apple product i was only skeptic about their products. but once i bought them (somehow) i used to eat my words.. so, i expect the same from airport as well.. to overwhelm me..

Also, as suggested by blr_p, i should plan networking for my house strategically.. will do that first. After my discussion here at TE, i am much more informed to make this decision.

Great :D

blr_p

You are right about through put part.
I will tell you my no.s
Over gigabit,its around 650-800 Mbps.
Over 450 mbps 3*3 stream,it moves big files.
I can stream 1080p file from my desktop to my tv connected to laptop.
How far away are the desktop & laptop and are there any intervening obstacles ? Is this on the 2.4 or 5 Ghz band ?

Also can you tell us about your tp-link experience. I take it you used them as access points and not as extenders.

So one router, wired to next router etc. Now this arrangement was not satisfactory for some reason so you went in for the extreme. Why ?

Was it just that you got many disconnects and required regular router rebooting or was the thoughput unsatisfactory as well.

Desktop is located in last room of second floor and its connected by ethernet.

Laptop is on ground floor in my office and intervening part is concrete floor and stair case.

My arrangement is very simple.
In second floor staircase, landline comes home and thats where I kept my d link adsl modem and apple router.

This is where all wires are ducted and all supply lines come.

Router is in second floor near stair cases of second floor.

Straight distance is around 60-70 feets between router and laptop.

Re mulitple APs, watch out. If you have clients that don't hop reliably and don't plan your AP maps well, you may get a lot of 'shadow' zones, where the signals from two APs overlap. 50 feet isn't a big deal for almost any single router, the only issue is neighbors and how often your router gets set to 150Mbps to conform to the 'good neighbor' policy. The biggest advantage of the second band is the reduction in interference. I easily stream up to 6GB+ HD rips over a 54Mbps wireless connection (that's how I use the 2.4GHz band on my 3700) if the connection quality is good. And at 54Mbps I don't have to worry about neighbors, with the 5GHz for everything else.

You must understand that getting good wireless is about system design and not the quality of the product. Yes, the Airport Extreme is a good product but it does not have the best throughput or range of routers in its price band (or even below). It is for somebody who wants great performance out of the box and not worry about configuration, setup etc. Unfortunately, speaking for myself, the tech-minded would want to be a little more investigative and get the best possible solution, by spending as little money as possible without scrounging, and learn something in the process.

@blr_p

Here are my screen shots of intel centrino ultimate connected to airport extreme doing file transfers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358409155.337396.jpg

This was at usual laptop at far end of building at my ground floor office and desktop and airport at second floor

@cranky,
Yes I agree with you about learning and spending least.
I did go through my share of routers.
Total 4 routers.

First bsnl type 4 adsl wifi router
Second tp link
Third buffalo 300 nh high power
Fourth linksys ae1200 i guess.

All those bought at best rate.

Finally landed up on airport when I decided its not worth my time to trouble shoot the routers and keep telling my dad to reboot routers for getting youtube to work.

And airport also came at best rate.
For brand new sealed box router, I paid 120$ when its asking rate is 179$ plus tax.

So I believe here also I got my money's worth and my dad no longer ask me what to do when youtube not working on his iPad. He is happy with it.
So thats all I need.
I save my time and keep my dad happy.
What else I need ?

blr_pHere are my screen shots of intel centrino ultimate connected to airport extreme doing file transfers. View attachment 17815This was at usual laptop at far end of building at my ground floor office and desktop and airport at second floor
Can't tell much with that. Am assuming its 2.4Ghz triple stream transfer. Has to be 2.4Ghz given the distance and walls in between

.If you take a fixed size file and transfer it over how long does it take ?Pick something largish, > 300MB size file.

Wait for it to transfer over, that will give you the real MbsOr are you saying the speed you get is 364/2 = 182Mbs (!)

Not possible. A third as fast would be.

Yeah. Its triple stream.
Will pick windows 8 image and post results here.

Would their be advantage with 5ghz ?
My devices do support.

On its own 5 Ghz has more bandwidth so its a faster transfer but the caveat is it travels less as its attenuated more than 2.4 Ghz. It allows you to seperate the slow devices from the faster ones. Fewer people have dual band routers so interference is less. You will have to experiment.

Apple as a matter of policy does not do 40Mhz wide in the 2.4 Ghz band, only in the 5Ghz. So throughput is reduced as a consequence. Other manfacturers that get wifi certified have to provide 'coexistence mechanisms' in their firmware to the effect that the moment they detect another wifi network they scale back to 20 Mhz mode. Note that not all vendors actually comply eg.TP-LINks default to 40Mhz. That's how they get better throughput than others for cheaper. But 40 Mhz means you take up two channels out of 3 so its a congestion issue. No networks around enjoy your 40Mhz otherwise forget it. You will be interfering with others and they with you and both will suffer.

Thing with this wireless business is its like the cable wallah broadband of yore ie a shared bandwidth. The more devices you have hooked up doing things the less bandwidth they ALL will have available to them at the given time. Like contention ratios etc. You might have great link speed like promises of 'upto' this or that speed but your throughput starts to suffer. So 5 Ghz allows you to play in a different space for certain latency unfriendly applications. 5 Ghz starts to make its case when you already have lots of wireless devices in the house. Way things are going i think its only a matter of time. More tablets, smartphones, laptops, intelligent appliances, your neighbours wanting to have wifi etc.

One thing you won't have to worry about is the delivery of the extreme as it can manage a consistent transfer at 5 Ghz or so say its reviews. The cheaper routers tend to fudge the 5 Ghz in exchange for 2.4 Ghz. You want 5 then pay up otherwise stick with 2.4.

Distance is really your only determining factor or not as in your case I notice the way you've set up that the pc is wired and its only the laptop that is wireless.

The real distance for the transmission is your router to the laptop and delivery coming through wires from your desktop. You have an instant advantage right there as the wireless signal only travels half as far. As opposed to both pc & laptop being wireless which would have included an extra hop and cost you in performance.

Back