Car & Bike Help me decide a car in 5-5.5 lakhs range !

Mr India

Disciple
First time car buyer thouh can drive but not as good as my bike as experience lesser. planning to put 30% down payment and rest in emi for 2 year loan to minimize interest.My office quite near so car will run 300-400 kms month only so petrol would be suitable. i also value safety as everyday i see maniacs and have already had a wreck and have never driven above 80 after that day.

My shortlisted car-
Swift Vxi - 5.5 on road - fuel effcient, service cost ok , parts cheap.
Grand i10 magna -5.1 on road- lesser fuel efficient than maruti and service also lil costlier.
Xcent base model with Abs- around 5.3 on road + 10k for music system. sedan so hassle in parking n driving in our traffic.
Toyota Liva v - 6.1 on road as no discounts by toyota - has Abs and is top model with lotta features, cheapest service and v reliable , fuel efficient as well , kinda ugly both outside and inside with meter in middle though looks i can ignore.

My brain says xcent as its cheapest car with abs and is safe.

Please do not use SMS language in the forums
My vote goes for swift.. it's excellent.. And vxi version has got all necessary equips 2..
It's good for city & highways too..
Hav got dzire n grand i10.. both diesel though..

Last edited:
Please do not use SMS language in the forums
Have u checked Celerio ? Lately

Mod Note: SMS Language is STRICTLY prohibited on TechEnclave. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are considering Liva may I recommend you to consider the base model of Honda Jazz 2015? I think it is by far a better urban car for the price and it has a great honda reliability as well. Brilliant petrol fuel efficiency and amazing value for money.

I ride my friends Swift. Believe me, it is just great for city. If not swift look at Brio. Perfect for city as it is pretty small

Maruti : Rattle
Go for hyundai
I have a i10 magna going good guns at present,later this year upgrading to Grand i10 on Diwali :p

This is what I suggest: http://www.carwale.com/new/quotation.aspx?pqid=149417926,149418101,149419265,149419351&t=149419351

Thing is, while these are basic petrol cars, they are also cars that you don't need to immediately upgrade from. I still think Jazz is an awesome car. While if you go for a Brio or i10 grand, these cars carry a tag of hatchback car, whereas Jazz is a big hatchback that can also be helpful if you want to go for an occasional long drive of want to host friends and family. Don't discout Tata Zest as this car is built to last. Read the Team BHP reviews on all these cars to make a decision and finally take a test-drive to boil down to any decision.

See if you can get a top end Ritz (ZXi). Suggesting the Ritz as you said you value safety. With ABS and dual SRS, it is the safest in this price range. It is also built much better than the run of the mill Marutis including the Swift. Do keep in mind that it is a discontinued/about to be discontinued model, but being from Maruti and sharing most parts with the Swift, I wouldn't bother.

@all - Brio and celerio both look too small and celero is in lower segment.

See if you can get a top end Ritz (ZXi). Suggesting the Ritz as you said you value safety. With ABS and dual SRS, it is the safest in this price range. It is also built much better than the run of the mill Marutis including the Swift. Do keep in mind that it is a discontinued/about to be discontinued model, but being from Maruti and sharing most parts with the Swift, I wouldn't bother.
i was thinking of ritz but dont wanna buy a discontinued car as it will def. be discontinued or revamped totally.

This is what I suggest: http://www.carwale.com/new/quotation.aspx?pqid=149417926,149418101,149419265,149419351&t=149419351

Thing is, while these are basic petrol cars, they are also cars that you don't need to immediately upgrade from. I still think Jazz is an awesome car. While if you go for a Brio or i10 grand, these cars carry a tag of hatchback car, whereas Jazz is a big hatchback that can also be helpful if you want to go for an occasional long drive of want to host friends and family. Don't discout Tata Zest as this car is built to last. Read the Team BHP reviews on all these cars to make a decision and finally take a test-drive to boil down to any decision.
No tata at all though i know zest is well made but their service is v bad. plus dont wanna be called a taxiwala, lol
I like jazz too but i dont have many friends anyway so no need of long rides or space etc. ,its service may be costly too like i20 as its premium hatchback and i can only get the lowest varient for 5.8 on road plus spend on stereo and only two boring white /silver colors in this variant.

No tata at all though i know zest is well made but their service is v bad. plus dont wanna be called a taxiwala, lol
I like jazz too but i dont have many friends anyway so no need of long rides or space etc. ,its service may be costly too like i20 as its premium hatchback and i can only get the lowest varient for 5.8 on road plus spend on stereo and only two boring white /silver colors in this variant.

Damn!

*Raises white flag*

I have the dzire vxi, runs good. Mileage around 11-13 city. Black is a pain in the ass colour. 3rd gear is a dull, rest all good, nice interiors, limited legroom behind, 2 channel music system so my 2 front speakers are kinda useless. I had these added along with a sub\amp. Seat hieght adjust is absent. No abs or airbags. Stock tyres are very thin.

Have driven friends top line liva, it had rims, I purchased my tires and rims separately.it sounds like a diesel. However it has nice legroom at the back.. Mpg would be 8-10 city. Fugly from out and in the dash is horrendously plasticity. Poor resale for the petrol.

I10 is too small or cute for my liking would take a brio instead

Since you are considering compact sedans too, why not have a look at the Ford Aspire? Lackluster 1.2 mill though, but that is the sad story everywhere in this segment. Even up to the i20 petrol and to some extent even the Jazz 1.2l. Just too much car for the puny engines to pull. Still might be passable for short mundane office commutes. I hope you are already taking test drives of shortlisted cars. If not, that is the first thing you need to do.

I have the dzire vxi, runs good. Mileage around 11-13 city. Black is a pain in the ass colour. 3rd gear is a dull, rest all good, nice interiors, limited legroom behind, 2 channel music system so my 2 front speakers are kinda useless. I had these added along with a sub\amp. Seat hieght adjust is absent. No abs or airbags. Stock tyres are very thin.

Have driven friends top line liva, it had rims, I purchased my tires and rims separately.it sounds like a diesel. However it has nice legroom at the back.. Mpg would be 8-10 city. Fugly from out and in the dash is horrendously plasticity. Poor resale for the petrol.

I10 is too small or cute for my liking would take a brio instead
Etios liva gives only 8-10 mileage in city :O :O swift gives like 12 v easily i hear. btw i am talkin about i10 grand. not normal i10. grand doesnt look too small. and i dont mind no seat height in swift as im 5" 10 so its fine for me.

guys how useful is a tacho in car ? should i get a non tacho swift lxi(o) and add a music will be quite cheaper for me. i only need front power windows anyway. vxi has not much features in suzuki swift. i also hear non zxi swift has poor brakes and slippy tires.

Guys btw what about Xcent base model with abs ? it is safe as it has abs and ebs too. only negative thing is its long and also for same price i can get more feature packed i10 grand variant but grand wont have abs.

Last edited:
Since you are considering compact sedans too, why not have a look at the Ford Aspire? Lackluster 1.2 mill though, but that is the sad story everywhere in this segment. Even up to the i20 petrol and to some extent even the Jazz 1.2l. Just too much car for the puny engines to pull. Still might be passable for short mundane office commutes. I hope you are already taking test drives of shortlisted cars. If not, that is the first thing you need to do.
test ride il do later on my bday when il book it. lemme shortlist them first. i looked at aspire ad and car looks really nice , but 4.89 ex showroom plus taxes for base model is not special cos i dont need space nor i need a dickey that aspire gives. plus ford service expensive and parts too expensive. new car so cant say about reliability too.

Mr India, ur not making sense.
First test drive whatever is in your budget, that will automatically make you shortlist what you need.

test ride il do later on my bday when il book it. lemme shortlist them first. i looked at aspire ad and car looks really nice , but 4.89 ex showroom plus taxes for base model is not special cos i dont need space nor i need a dickey that aspire gives. plus ford service expensive and parts too expensive. new car so cant say about reliability too.

Back