Car & Bike Help me decide a car in 5-5.5 lakhs range !

I have a similar requirement, watching this thread, had shortlisted swift vxi .
Though i havent checked myself, but if some of the above posts are accurate (price wise), you are better off buying a Jazz. Honda makes good cars, they r really spacious (v high on my priority list) and they have a newly launched vehicle with good engine and on road performance.
Maruti is on its way to launching a few new hatchbacks. So either you wait for them and then shoot the gun on your purchase or else if you buy a Swift now and couple of months later the newer machines roll out, you will truly feel like shooting yourself :)

Though i havent checked myself, but if some of the above posts are accurate (price wise), you are better off buying a Jazz. Honda makes good cars, they r really spacious (v high on my priority list) and they have a newly launched vehicle with good engine and on road performance.
Maruti is on its way to launching a few new hatchbacks. So either you wait for them and then shoot the gun on your purchase or else if you buy a Swift now and couple of months later the newer machines roll out, you will truly feel like shooting yourself :)
I dont think they will update swift that soon as last yer only they had updated it in mid year. The only thing swift gonna get is auto transmission. Maruti will update auto , wagon r , ertiga next. maybe New ritz but havent seen one scoop pic so it will take lotta time as even testing not started.

Hyundai migh update grand i10 though as its been like 3 + years. prices are delhi ones but remember jazz entry level itself will cost over 6 lakhs on road in gurgaon where il buy. for married ppl space matters but hardly for single.[DOUBLEPOST=1440746848][/DOUBLEPOST]btw guys what salary do you think should be minimum for a car owner of ahatch in india around 5 lakhs ? im single and unmarried, living with parents and earn 27k at 25 age. wish i dint make career mistakes in life earlier cos most of my college friends earn 30-35 avg.

confused-meme-3.jpg

Dont know why people like celerio so much here , i spoke to three people at maruti recently , all three told me its a flop car & cr@p , they said Ritz was their best hatchback & then swift . they also recommended dzire .

Dont know why people like celerio so much here , i spoke to three people at maruti recently , all three told me its a flop car & cr@p , they said Ritz was their best hatchback & then swift . they also recommended dzire .
CELERIO is flop cos maruti priced it too high and is not vfm. also has really thin seats unlike wagonr. wagon r is with same engine but is much cheaper and spacious and people prefer that or i10. celerio didnt have good marketing as well.

I agree completely,
Ritz is Maruti's best hatchback. It's pretty mature in ride and handling, when compared to Swift. It's VFM and spacious too, only put off by it's looks.

@OP since you're a first time buyer, I'd suggest you to stick with Maruti or Hyundai. Ritz, Swift, Grand i10 & Wagon R should be considered. Avoid Celerio, new Alto is better VFM than Celerio.
Even a pre-owned cars should be considered for a first time buyer, Why not buy a cheaper pre-owned car now (Alto etc - which doesn't depreciate much) & upgrade later when you're sure about which car suits your driving style?

First time car buyer thouh can drive but not as good as my bike as experience lesser. planning to put 30% down payment and rest in emi for 2 year loan to minimize interest.My office quite near so car will run 300-400 kms month only so petrol would be suitable. i also value safety as everyday i see maniacs and have already had a wreck and have never driven above 80 after that day.

My shortlisted car-
Swift Vxi - 5.5 on road - fuel effcient, service cost ok , parts cheap.
Grand i10 magna -5.1 on road- lesser fuel efficient than maruti and service also lil costlier.
Xcent base model with Abs- around 5.3 on road + 10k for music system. sedan so hassle in parking n driving in our traffic.
Toyota Liva v - 6.1 on road as no discounts by toyota - has Abs and is top model with lotta features, cheapest service and v reliable , fuel efficient as well , kinda ugly both outside and inside with meter in middle though looks i can ignore.

My brain says xcent as its cheapest car with abs and is safe.
First and most important question:
Will you drive or will you have a driver?

Every year we look for a similar car and everywhere we are disappointed. No car in this price range comes close to the spaciousness of our 13yr old Palio. The car is still running great and the only reason we contemplated getting a new car every year is because we are now a little bored.

I have also driven the A-Star quite extensively and must say that for a single guy it is a really good car. I used to get mileage of 15-17kmpl in city with AC and 21-22 on highways. It is also a very solid car, something I don't think Marutis are.

I am looking for a second car for the family and might end up getting a second Palio. They are easily available for less than 1L and are robust and spacious - 2 things I look for in a car.

I agree completely,
Ritz is Maruti's best hatchback. It's pretty mature in ride and handling, when compared to Swift. It's VFM and spacious too, only put off by it's looks.

@OP since you're a first time buyer, I'd suggest you to stick with Maruti or Hyundai. Ritz, Swift, Grand i10 & Wagon R should be considered. Avoid Celerio, new Alto is better VFM than Celerio.
Even a pre-owned cars should be considered for a first time buyer, Why not buy a cheaper pre-owned car now (Alto etc - which doesn't depreciate much) & upgrade later when you're sure about which car suits your driving style?
i cant buy second hand cos loan on second hand is tougher and has like 14% interest rate. on new car its 9.9 these days. i discussed with relatives today and 2 hyundai owner told me ownership cot iss higher and told me to buy a maruti or toyota for cheap service and parts and mileage. so now im thinking swift , etios liva , wait for new ritz till oct ? but no news etc. i read about new ritz in any car website etc. i doubt it will come this year. anyone has any link ?[DOUBLEPOST=1440860512][/DOUBLEPOST]
First and most important question:
Will you drive or will you have a driver?
lol bro , ofcourse i will drive. im not that rich to afford a driver.

i cant buy second hand cos loan on second hand is tougher and has like 14% interest rate. on new car its 9.9 these days. i discussed with relatives today and 2 hyundai owner told me ownership cot iss higher and told me to buy a maruti or toyota for cheap service and parts and mileage. so now im thinking swift , etios liva , wait for new ritz till oct ? but no news etc. i read about new ritz in any car website etc. i doubt it will come this year. anyone has any link ?[DOUBLEPOST=1440860512][/DOUBLEPOST]
lol bro , ofcourse i will drive. im not that rich to afford a driver.

Then the most important thing for you to consider is AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

Any car car with automatic transmission in your budget is your best bet.
You mentioned you will travel only a few hundred kilometers a month so the increased fuel consumption should not add up too much but a manual transmission is a curse in traffic.

Every year we look for a similar car and everywhere we are disappointed. No car in this price range comes close to the spaciousness of our 13yr old Palio. The car is still running great and the only reason we contemplated getting a new car every year is because we are now a little bored.

I have also driven the A-Star quite extensively and must say that for a single guy it is a really good car. I used to get mileage of 15-17kmpl in city with AC and 21-22 on highways. It is also a very solid car, something I don't think Marutis are.

I am looking for a second car for the family and might end up getting a second Palio. They are easily available for less than 1L and are robust and spacious - 2 things I look for in a car.
Bro which year are u living in ?[DOUBLEPOST=1440925383][/DOUBLEPOST]
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/151680-maruti-celerio-official-review.html

Last edited:
Then the most important thing for you to consider is AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

Any car car with automatic transmission in your budget is your best bet.
You mentioned you will travel only a few hundred kilometers a month so the increased fuel consumption should not add up too much but a manual transmission is a curse in traffic.
auto is expensive though i do love the idea of just two pedals. in auto il not be able to get mid segment hatch , will only get celerio/altok10 amt range which i dont want. Plus autos also are risky as maintenance can be expensive incase something goes wrong. The hassle of a swift /etios liva will be worth it i guess for that nice car feeling and pride, so many people drive manual so i'm sure i'l be ok too.[DOUBLEPOST=1441022468][/DOUBLEPOST]@ALL - guys what about honda brio , it has a powerful 90PS Vtec honda engine but it does not sell . it is priced lower than swift , grandi10 , liva as well. why is it not selling ? is it because it looks small and too girly ? i see only women owning it mostly.

Last edited:
I own swift petrol and i10 sportz(o) petrol. i10 is more towards luxury and swift more towards mileage. The chassis and engine management of i10 is better than swift. try banging or just stand beside while putting pressure with hand on bonnet of both and u will feel the difference in the built quality. advantage of swift over i10 is the bootspace and inexpensive servicing and parts. though the servicing is cheaper than i10, swift requires more looking after than i10 -_-

I own swift petrol and i10 sportz(o) petrol. i10 is more towards luxury and swift more towards mileage. The chassis and engine management of i10 is better than swift. try banging or just stand beside while putting pressure with hand on bonnet of both and u will feel the difference in the built quality. advantage of swift over i10 is the bootspace and inexpensive servicing and parts. though the servicing is cheaper than i10, swift requires more looking after than i10 -_-
u have the 1.2 wali i10 or new small engine one? also what do u mean by swift requires more looking after. can u share what mileage u get in both ?

Back