Harassment in residential societies and spinning of news by the media

Another funny incident. A friend lived in an apartment complex that seemed to police the food that was delivered to any flat. They didn't want non-vegetarian food entering the building so the society people would waylay the delivery people and inspect for presence of meat. If found, the delivery guy was sent back. The friend took to tipping the delivery guys and asking them to answer that the food was Paneer Tikka Masala and not Chicken Tikka Masala!

Wow, this is even more pathetic, and funny too. They don't even want non-veg in the apartment, and that's probably due to their supernatural big daddy beliefs.

I've heard about quite a few incidents where certain residential societies in Mumbai refused to rent/sell flats to people of certain religion or from certain region.

Another funny incident. A friend lived in an apartment complex that seemed to police the food that was delivered to any flat. They didn't want non-vegetarian food entering the building so the society people would waylay the delivery people and inspect for presence of meat. If found, the delivery guy was sent back. The friend took to tipping the delivery guys and asking them to answer that the food was Paneer Tikka Masala and not Chicken Tikka Masala!

Yea, I have heard about that. That is the highest level of dumb-assary which Indians can show. That is not even viral, but chronic viral.

Sheesh! This comes back to all those ridiculous beliefs people have again. For example, my mum doesn't let me use any of the normal plates in my house to eat non-veg food. She keeps a special plastic plate for me. I mean, what the hell?

That just reminded me. Do any of the ladies in any of your families follow this practice of not touching certain things during their period ? I find it ridiculous.

Basically both those factors are religious oriented and culture too. Not much we can do about that. A lot of cultural and religion oriented practices have no logic in today's day and age. A lady is "considered" impure while menstruating, so contact with sanctus iconography is prohibited. We as a nation equate disgust to factors which we have shunned (or refrained) from our lives, be it for what ever reason, so utensils are separated.

Basically both those factors are religious oriented and culture too. Not much we can do about that. A lot of cultural and religion oriented practices have no logic in today's day and age. A lady is "considered" impure while menstruating, so contact with sanctus iconography is prohibited. We as a nation equate disgust to factors which we have shunned (or refrained) from our lives, be it for what ever reason, so utensils are separated.

Yes, but as you said, they make no sense in this day and age. If the media can come up with campaigns and ads to "save the girl child" or to oust superstitious beliefs, why can't they come up with ads regarding practices like this to show people that they make no sense ?

Yes, but as you said, they make no sense in this day and age. If the media can come up with campaigns and ads to "save the girl child" or to oust superstitious beliefs, why can't they come up with ads regarding practices like this to show people that they make no sense ?

Dabbling in religious progressiveness and ancillary arts, is a fire, no one would want to play with: in India. Till date we have ostracized the award winning novelist Salman Rushdie. India is like Wahhab-light or a watered down Saudi Arabia.

:)

Dabbling in religious progressiveness and ancillary arts, is a fire, no one would want to play with: in India. Till date we have ostracized the award winning novelist Salman Rushdie. India is like Wahhab-light or a watered down Saudi Arabia.

:)

And the irksome fact is that Salman Rushdie is not welcome by the Muslim fundamentalists, a minority in the country. Just imagine what if someone speaks out or rallies against practices by the majority, that is the Hindus. Religion is tool being used by the politicians to incite masses, while the moderates just look at it as a way of life and move-on not considering the ill effects it is having overall on the society.

A bit off-topic, but has anyone seen this documentary? A must watch, brings out the ills of religions and how just following the "good" parts of it doesn't justify the whole of it.

Sheesh! This comes back to all those ridiculous beliefs people have again. For example, my mum doesn't let me use any of the normal plates in my house to eat non-veg food. She keeps a special plastic plate for me. I mean, what the hell?

That just reminded me. Do any of the ladies in any of your families follow this practice of not touching certain things during their period ? I find it ridiculous.

yeah, reminds me of my childhood. most of the women in our joint family were vegans, most men & kids used to eat both veg & non-veg. We used to eat non-veg on sundays, so women gave us those ceramic plates to eat stuff in instead of the normal steel plates. they said the smell didn't go away from normal steel plates even after scrubbing them twice. This is actually true with eggs, fish and chicken (and bacon, pork, duck etc). On steel utensils, these proteins leave a very distinct odour (even after washing) which can make a non veg person think twice.

ALso one of my aunts is a devote god follower and used to chant "rama rama" & shake her head from side to side, when we used to eat non-veg. :rofl:
we guys never cared about all this. we are too thick skinned i guess.

we guys never cared about all this. we are too thick skinned i guess.

No, you were just being rational rather than pricks trying to show-off being on the high moral ground.

It doesn't matter if they're family members, friends, neighbours, or some random stranger, they're still pricks.

Society's bully, because we let them bully.

So they (the society) were going to call the cops, let them. - Why did that bother anyone ? Why did it bother DN and her guests ? Why did these pillars of society who love to talk endlessly, hold candles and write reams and reams about rights of a person (or some inconsequential thing most of the time) not stand up in a real life against this bullying? Why were they all so embarrassed? Were they doing something wrong ? If not why not take this oppurtunity to shut up the society and give them one across the face?

Does anyone think of fighting back ? or prefer to just crib about it and scuttle away when it comes to real action?[DOUBLEPOST=1364547216][/DOUBLEPOST]
Incest is not illegal, prostitution is.

Is (prostitution in India) it illegal? No its not, just thought I would clarify.

@TheIndian

I do see through your point, but lets just see the other side of it.

Some people do stand up, but do you know what price they have to pay for it. Just imagine if a normal Joe were in such a situation in a new city. He could pick up the fight with the neighbours, but at what cost? They are not going to change, they'll keep on the harassment incoming. They want to make the other person feel miserable, feel the moral authority up their rear, and they're not gonna have a good sit down until down.

It's a multi-tiered problem, needs to addressed at the base more prominently than at the individual level. Otherwise you're just waiting to be troubled again till you hit the jackpot (i.e. live nearby sensible people and in a sensible locality).

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't call family members as pricks. They cook the food and feed us. If they wanted to go all the way, we guys could very well end up cooking non-veg dishes on a separate gas stove in a corner of the kitchen. Probably non-veg utensils would be kept differently. They had specific reasons for giving separate plates which is understandable.

@TheIndian

I do see through your point, but lets just see the other side of it.

Some people do stand up, but do you know what price they have to pay for it. Just imagine if a normal Joe were in such a situation in a new city. He could pick up the fight with the neighbours, but at what cost? They are not going to change, they'll keep on the harassment incoming. They want to make the other person feel miserable, feel the moral authority up their rear, and they're not gonna have a good sit down until down.

It's a multi-tiered problem, needs to addressed at the base more prominently than at the individual level. Otherwise you're just waiting to be troubled again till you hit the jackpot (i.e. live nearby sensible people and in a sensible locality).

The point was these were prominent people of "society". What were they hiding, that they were so scared of the police. If you can't defend your own home, do not expect someone else to do it for you.

My son often has parties at home when boys and girls come over. The thing is we are aware of them and clear instructions are if someone objects give them our number, if someone calls the cops don't open the door and give them our number too. Its simple don't be scared so long as you are doing nothing illegal, and having boys and girls in my house is not illegal, and I have enough faith in my son to know there is nothing illegal happening there either even if we are not present.

People here would rather run away from a problem then stand up to face it (and claim their right). I see that here on the boards too so often.

As you mentioned its a problem of society, well who is society? We are, and even if just a handful of people took a stand, it would be enough to change things. That is all it takes, a handful.

@TheIndian

Don't take my argument as standing down. If I'm personally involved in such a situation, I would tackle it head-on and do the right thing, but I can't expect everyone else to do the same. Not everyone is up to be a revolutionary or stand against the system. You can blame it on their ignorance or just fear of standing-up, but you have to take them under consideration too.

And the irksome fact is that Salman Rushdie is not welcome by the Muslim fundamentalists, a minority in the country. Just imagine what if someone speaks out or rallies against practices by the majority, that is the Hindus. Religion is tool being used by the politicians to incite masses, while the moderates just look at it as a way of life and move-on not considering the ill effects it is having overall on the society.

Though why would the Muslim fundamentalists welcome Salman R...? He had irked them off the most....! I agree, religion is like a hyper-visor which is ingrained within us all, and is part of our ADLs and a binding governance. With reference to prior posts: When a migrant comes into the city, and seeks a roof, usually they are willing to dance-2-the-tune of the society. Be it parties, food habits, or general demeanor and behavior. Not sure what happened finally with Deepti Naval, but they must have felt bad, and thought "if you throw a rock in a mud pool, it just gets back on you". This at times, can be the incorrect approach, but not all have the time and resources to meander into civil complications.

Societal pressure is prevalent in Hyd too, recently my girlfriend and one of her friend took a flat for rent in Hi-tech city, now whenever I visit or her friends visit , her landlord creates an issue out of it.
Mind you the person is not a village guy or some petty business man with no proper education background, he is an professor. He has kept a family in the ground floor who always keeps looking at me whenever I go, which irks the hell out of me;

Can anyone please confirm, is it really illegal to call some friends (Girls) to home for a night out or party or a movie out (nothing goocy goocy :p), if the girl is of legal age.....

Can anyone please confirm, is it really illegal to call some friends (Girls) to home for a night out or party or a movie out (nothing goocy goocy :p), if the girl is of legal age.....

No, it's not. And it's not even illegal if you do some "goocy goocy" or have sex with them (even multiple partners at the same time), unless you create a nuisance by disturbing the neighbours.

The issue at hand is some a-holes showing moral-superiority over others based on beliefs which are utter nonsense and are not followed to the tee by themselves. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that they are also more interested in others lives and their way of living than their own, i.e. they don't mind their own business.

I agree, religion is like a hyper-visor which is ingrained within us all, and is part of our ADLs and a binding governance.
I just rofled on this. This is why I love TE.

Aside @blkrb0t I guess you went a bit overboard with the pricks thing. No they are not pricks, its just their belief. Rational or not. Until they create issues for you, let them be. @6pack (until he corrects me such) I believe dint have any issues while having his non-veg food.

Why just muslim fundamentalists, remember Da Vinci Code ? An English movie attacking the foundation of the Christian faith, made in a predominantly christian country, and by mostly christian persons, made its maximum money in other christian countries but was banned in India as it would hurt the sentiments of Christians? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wonder what this "tolerance" by the majority really is. As is what is the oft spoken "resilience" of Mumbai.

Back