English Improving tips

Being.smart

Adept
Dec 19, 2011
Google
www.google.com
Reading all of my post and threads you all might had surely noticed that my english is damm poor.

Neither i am good in speaking english nor in writing, this is mainly due to the reason i was brought up in small city where hardly 1% people speaks english.

This is my final year in BE and i was supposed to hunt for job next year, so before my D-war starts i want to improve my english vocabulary and want to make it look professional (With nice accent).

I tried reading newspaper, listening to english news, watching english movies, nothing worked till now
<

Can you suggest any further idea to improve english..

>> please don't ask to join coaching, here they are really damm and teach only grammars and say they are teaching english
<

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
Read books. Start with simple children's books.

Practice writing. Maybe write in a diary.

Find someone whose english is good and talk to them.

Don't bother with fake accents.

dipen01

Skilled
Aug 14, 2005
And movies too...!

Regular practice is more important... Talk with your friends in English..!

Roxtin

Skilled
May 29, 2007
Umm why don't you invest and Open English language institute. You can use it to train your showroom staff too
<

Being.smart

Adept
Dec 19, 2011
Google
www.google.com
Neither or my friends know to speak english, nor in my locality there are people who speak in english.

Till date i had been practicing by speaking to Customer care of various company, especially Paypal, atleat PP guyz now understand my english
<

flash23

Adept
Jan 3, 2011
Pune
Try watching movies using subtitles on and then gradually get rid of the subtitles.

You will see improvement in not only grasping what others are speaking but also learn to read really fast.

Also try writing some essays on your own and after writiting them, read them thoroughly and find mistakes as if some one else has written it.

Lastly if you have any oppurtunity try quarreling in English without using any cuss words, will really improve your vocal skill.

prabs

Skilled
Jul 24, 2006
A teacher in our school once told us to think in English. I know this sounds funny but what she meant was when you are thinking about something you must be thinking about it in your native language - try setting English as the default language there.

By the way this won't help the fluidity with which you speak but it should help you learn to construct a proper sentence which you can later use to speak or write.

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi
Reading all of my post and threads you all might had surely noticed that my english is damm poor.

Neither i am good in speaking english nor in writing, this is mainly due to the reason i was brought up in small city where hardly 1% people speaks english.

This is my final year in BE and i was supposed to hunt for job next year, so before my D-war starts i want to improve my english vocabulary and want to make it look professional (With nice accent).

I tried reading newspaper, listening to english news, watching english movies, nothing worked till now
<

Can you suggest any further idea to improve english..

>> please don't ask to join coaching, here they are really damm and teach only grammars and say they are teaching english
<

Join a call center for 3-4 months. You can learn English, and get paid for it too. Also nice girls.

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Jun 13, 2009
New Delhi
asing, Call center idea seems good, i am planning to take training and run away, will that will work ???, or they go for some bond or something..
<

That is probably the best thing to do. Take the training, take your last pay on the 30th, and stop going. It is a democratic country. Sure.

They will classify you as: AWOL or MIA or Died on Duty. Sure.

Striker10

Skilled
Mar 25, 2005
www.techenclave.com
Call center will help you immensely.

OR speak with your friends continuously in english, read newspapers, pick up some new words and make sure you use them on a daily basis. Unless you change your lifestyle to adapting to the English language, you will not be able to improve that much. Also take some english coaching lessons.

May 20, 2010
Kolkata
A teacher in our school once told us to think in English. I know this sounds funny but what she meant was when you are thinking about something you must be thinking about it in your native language - try setting English as the default language there.

By the way this won't help the fluidity with which you speak but it should help you learn to construct a proper sentence which you can later use to speak or write.

This is also a Very good suggestion,instead of thinking stuff in your native language and then translating it to English and then speaking,U think stuff in English and Try to speak

also,increase your vocabulary and understand the Culture by reading newspapers,books,Watching movies,Tv shows Etc

singenaadam

Skilled
Jun 24, 2007
Read everything - "aloud".

Whatever you read - incl. newspapers - do it aloud this helps in the words rolling off your tongue when you actually use them. It also makes you "feel" the language much more than the silent mode of reading.

Take care of your neighbors/family/roommates though!

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
Can anyone suggest me some good books regarding this ? I will be buying Wren & Martin High School Grammar & also Key book. Any other good books suggestion guys ?

TIA
<

pratzgh1

Pratzgh1
Adept
May 31, 2010
Navi Mumbai
i think book will only help you apply the words and understand them. for vocabulary you must listen, as nothing else works better than listening. listen to audio books and watch bbc, documentaries, comedy serials as you will enjoy with the learning part. please do not rely on subtitles in a movie as they are meant for something else and will paralyze your listening habit.

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
^Thanks for replying, have that book already
<

Any other books suggestions ?