Demon's Souls - Discussion Thread

So I am planning to start 5-2 today and complete World 5. How hard is World 5 exactly? Will those swamps give me a hard time? I mean I could just go straight through the main path and forget about the goodies right? That would save me some time and HP?

So how long should it take you to get it back again? A day, I suppose?

Yeah but I guess I'll give Dark Souls a pass for now. I thought about it for a while before arriving at a decision. I need a break Allwyn. The sole reason I got Demon's Souls was purely because of your constant recommendation after you started with your second playthrough. And I respect that since I am loving every bit of the gameplay. :)

I understand how charged up you are after having completed Demon's Souls. If you could wait a bit more (read PC release), nothing like it or if you can't, please go ahead and give it a start. I'll be definitely following the thread irrespective of me playing it or not.

So I am planning to start 5-2 today and complete World 5. How hard is World 5 exactly? Will those swamps give me a hard time? I mean I could just go straight through the main path and forget about the goodies right? That would save me some time and HP?

5-2 will be a bit annoying, if you don't know your way around the swamp and don't have regenerating rings. You'll be poisoned almost immediately, so have a stock of Royal Lotus ready. Be sure to find the regenerator's ring in this level and equip it. Pair it with the Adjudicator's shield and you'll have no problem with the level. All the enemies are dead easy, except for the giant depraved ones of course.

Yeah but I guess I'll give Dark Souls a pass for now. I thought about it for a while before arriving at a decision. I need a break Allwyn. The sole reason I got Demon's Souls was purely because of your constant recommendation after you started with your second playthrough. And I respect that since I am loving every bit of the gameplay. :)

I understand how charged up you are after having completed Demon's Souls. If you could wait a bit more (read PC release), nothing like it or if you can't, please go ahead and give it a start. I'll be definitely following the thread irrespective of me playing it or not.

No worries. Demon's Souls was a impulse start for me and I ended up liking it immensely. Since my backlog is flexible, I can afford to start Dark Souls now, rather than keeping it for a time, when AAA games would start crowding up. Let's see how it goes though.

dinjo: Both the swords are readily available. In fact, Crescent Falchion is available almost at the very start of 4-1, if you can handle those pesky skeletons that is. Winged spear should be available pretty easily in 1-1, 1-2 and 1-3. At least, one soldier would drop that spear.

As for shield, I'd say Dark Heater shield would be good for starters.

5-2 will be a bit annoying, if you don't know your way around the swamp and don't have regenerating rings. You'll be poisoned almost immediately, so have a stock of Royal Lotus ready. Be sure to find the regenerator's ring in this level and equip it. Pair it with the Adjudicator's shield and you'll have no problem with the level. All the enemies are dead easy, except for the giant depraved ones of course.

I already have a couple of those Regenerating Rings and I suppose we can't use 2 rings of the same kind at a time? Have some 15 odd Royal Lotus with me ATM. Adjudicator's Shield - I hope I did not dispose it somewhere. I believe I gave it to Stockpile Thomas. Did you manage to avoid the Black Phantom Meat Cleaver b1tch in this level? I don't think she comes in way of the main path. :p

Defeated the Dirty Colossus and Garl Vinland! And that completes World 5! :eek:hyeah:

I almost got lost in the swamp. Equipped the Regeneration Ring and the Adjudicator's Shield. But that shield was a mess so decided to use my good ol' Dark Heater Shield +4. Those jellies dropped plenty of those Royal Lotuses so I had close to 35 of them in the inventory. The Dirty Colossus fight was damn easy other than his annoying waving hands once in a while. Slashed him to death and the Dragon Long Sword +4 helped me win this battle in no time.

40 hours into the game, currently at Level 87. I think I'll complete 1-4 tonight.

Got majorly owned by the final boss - Old King Allant yesterday towards the end of 1-4. I was expecting this guy to be hard but not THIS hard! :cry:

To top it all, he sucked 6 souls from me using the ridiculous soulsucker ability of his and slashed me to death. And this was the first time, a boss in the game took me down! I was trembling in fear all the time as he kept slashing me and could barely think of using Evacuate miracle. It is however easy to dodge-roll and parry most of his attacks. Except that one should keep a fair distance from him else he might use the 3-slash combo or suck the soul from the player up-close. Couldn't bother killing the Blue Dragon since I was excited to face this dude and turns out he's a complete sucker! Now my bloodstain with some 120k+ souls remain in the arena along with the 6 souls he had sucked from me. I must reclaim them before I slay him.

Allwyn, please restore me with some faith and hope so I may finish off this ****ed up demon today and save the world from the darkness. :(

dinjo: If you are not comfortable with dodge-roll-slash combo (you should know by now I suppose), try increasing your Magic level stats RIGHT NOW! At this stage, it takes fairly less amount of souls to increase your soul level and once you acquire the Homing Soul Arrow ability and when the number of souls per attack increases to 5, ANY boss is a walk in the park including those who are resistant to Magic. I happened to watch the 4 parts of the 54 min. 54 sec. speedrun for Demon's Souls yesterday and the guy upgraded only his Magic stats in the entire game! Once the Magic was at 50+, he was merely sprinting through the entire level and took down most bosses with ease. Armor Spider 2-1 in one homing soul arrow shot, Flamelurker 2-2 in 2 shots, Old King Allant in 6 shots IIRC. This dude entered the Flamelurker's lair with barely 15pc health and finished him off like a boss!

Soul level is 15

That's fine. Check the inventory section to see what stat is needed for it. Invest some points in that stat. I don't think a Winged spear requires a high stat to be wielded. I could easily equip it pretty early in the game. Which level are you progressing to now?

Allwyn, please restore me with some faith and hope so I may finish off this ****ed up demon today and save the world from the darkness. :(

You should be able to finish him off. If you're worried about that soul patch, don't be. Like I said last night, you could either grab it and evacuate back to Nexus, OR not be too worried about it and just battle it out. Be careful, as the evacuate animation can be interrupted. Anyway, Allant is a major pain in the ass. His long range attacks are highly damaging, as are his short range ones. His rush attack can be dodged and post that, it leaves him open for attack. Since I had my Crescent Falchion upgraded, it did some damage to him. Stack up on your healing items, full moon grass to be specific. Don't stay in one position to cast soul ray or arrow, as by now you should know, he is quite resistant to magic. Use Warding at all times, never let it go. You should be done with the game by today. That's a given.

I am precisely planning to do that. The bloodstain can stay and I wouldn't worry about it for now. Maybe I'll pick it up towards the end of the battle before I finish him off. Now that I don't have absolutely any souls left, I will have to go to 4-3 and do some farming using the Storm Ruler, buy some Fresh Spice from Graverobber Blige at 4-2 so I can cast Warding. I wish there was a way we can take off those unwanted spells and miracles during the midst of the game instead of going to Sage Freke/Yuria and cancelling them individually.

I think I'll have to equip some proper rings this time. Last time I had used the Thief's Ring and the Ring of Magical Sharpness. But failed miserably. :(

You should be done with the game by today. That's a given.

Thank you for that! I am going to need it.

Completed the game a while back! I chose to use the Winged Spear this time and it had been upgraded to +7 for a total damage of 145. Equipped the Regeneration Ring and the Thief's Ring before I approached Old King Allant. With proper dodge-rolls this time, I managed to evade most of his attacks and stay out of reach of his Soul Sucker ability. Used Warding a couple of times and it took me not more than 10 minutes to slay this ****ed up boss and send him to oblivion who leeched 6 soul levels out of my character.

I am honestly beyond words to describe the experience. So much of joy and contentment. :yahoo:

It has been a terrific ride right from the start when my character had set foot upon Boletaria. This shall be a memorable experience in my lifetime of gaming and the game goes into the list of the must-play console exclusives alongside God of War, Uncharted, Heavy Rain and the likes. RPG lovers should definitely give this title a try and experience what makes it vastly different from the likes of other fantasy RPGs like Skyrim, Witcher etc. This one stayed true to its roots - a one of a kind dark fantasy RPG where patience shall play a MIGHTY role. The game isn't exactly hard but challenging, least to say. But definitely can be beaten with a bit of practice and patience.

Allwyn, I owe my heartfelt thanks to you for that constant pestering for sourcing the title and all the help and support you have lent me during the course of the game. Especially those late night calls! :p

PS: Soul Level was at 81, took me a total of 42 hours and 28 minutes in 11 days for completion. Not all that long for an RPG.

Bravo man! Really glad you enjoyed the game. :happy14:

Like I said before, the satisfaction is immense and you'll definitely have a good deal of memories from this game. The world I would never forget is Tower of Latria. I have yet to play Dark Souls, but this level was the creepiest places in the whole game. :D

I wish the end should have been more challenging and the boss fight should have been tougher than all the boss fights put together, but that didn't happen. What did you do to Maiden in Black in the end?

Seriously, the only boss that gave me a tough fight was Old King Allant. Then again, I could have managed to beat him the first time, if I had the right gear.

What did you do to Maiden in Black in the end?

I just left her and went forth. She departed with the Old One back into the fog. And Boletaria is free from the clutches of the evil demons. :p

jojothedragon: In case you need the copy of Demon's Souls, let me know! Mine should be up for sale by tonight. :)

I'm sure I won't be able to take that game off your hands.

LOL why so? Do you expect me to put up a hefty price tag for the game?

Just in case, I had sourced it off Flipkart for Rs. 1600. I'll slash 600 off that price and put it up for sale. Whoever's interested can drop a PM.

Well, I didn't worry about the price. Its a time issue, from tomorrow my gaming time is gonna be slashed off by 80 percent. So, I won't be able to play the game. And I already have a hefty back-log.

Back