PC Peripherals CPU unit for a Music Composer.. Opteron 170?

100khz

Disciple
hey guys,

I need ur suggestions.. i am a music composer.. got my own studio.. need to buy a high end cpu i.e. Processor, Mobo, 1 gb ram(later 1 more gb), cabinet.. I wanna run high end music softs (MIDI n recording) basically.. these softs r CPU hogs n require great floating point performance.. also clock speed is most wanted by few of these softs.. many can utilize both the cores of a dual core but few only use one core.. i shall also be multi tasking a lot.. so the remedy is Over Clocking. for this i will need a PSU n HS fan...

My budget is around 35k for CPU n mobo n ram n cabinet.. so it will be best if u guys can suggest me a bit.. i was keen on buying a Dual core opteron 170 with an A8NSLI premium mobo.. 512 DDR X 2 (as for now, later i will go for 512 X 2 more) .. all this just fits in 35 k..

but u may come with an altogether different solution.. also plz suggest me for OC purpose.. wat fan, its cfm, speed company etc.. 2) PSU.. for oc say opteron 170.. or watever.. n to what extend i can oc say an opteron 170 2ghz on air with a 10x multiplier... i guess opteron 175 is 11 x..

i guess i have said much now.. i will wait eagerly for ur suggestionss. i'll buy from nehru place.. i live in delhi..

Aks

^^ What sorta stuff do you use.

Amongst the best sequencers are Ableton's Live and Apple's Logic with the latter now becoming the number 1.

If I were you, I'd have gone for a Mac eyes shut as almost every top music composition software has a Mac version, and many don't have windows alternatives (Like Logic)...

Anish said:
^^

Amongst the best sequencers are Ableton's Live and Apple's Logic with the latter now becoming the number 1.

If I were you, I'd have gone for a Mac eyes shut as almost every top music composition software has a Mac version, and many don't have windows alternatives (Like Logic)...

I use Cubase, reason , FL.. some times singularly or rewires .. mac is too expensive.. or u know some version of it that fits my budget.. i doubt.. secondly.. i can't reach near to the performance of mac but atleast i can reach to some high level, rest is upon how good i am with composing.. also when i will earn godd through music , i will get a mac for sure.. as now , i wanna something which can solve my purpose in this budget.. have u checked out this - AMD LIVE! Music - AMD64 Masters and see the video of Elliot Scheiner... AMD is also good.. not matched to mac though..

zhopudey said:
Go for a mac. The older ones, not the new McIntelitosh :p And more important, will be the sound card.

i have got M-Audio's ozonic..its an Avid product... 24 bit, 96k khz with ASIO support.. a midi comtroller, sound card n pre amp. its a good external card..

^^You'd be better off with an opteron 165 or even a 3800+ X2 if you don't overclock and 2GB of RAM. The extra gig will benefit you more than the extra 200MHz for sure.

Hello 100khz, I'm with Chaos here... you could do more with the additional gig of RAM, and get the X2 3800+. Or, if you're in no particular hurry, wait a couple months and get a Core 2 Duo that will be as good, if not better than a Mac ;) It will surely outlast any PC you build today.

Btw, what instrument/music do you play? Good to find another musician on TE :)

RiO said:
get the X2 3800+. Or, if you're in no particular hurry, wait a couple months and get a Core 2 Duo
X2 3800 + has 1 mb cache. where as opteron 170 has 2 mb.. though i am not comparing both.. but cache is imp.. isn't? plz temme more about core duo.. though i can't wait as i have been waiting for long.. its been a month and half since i am researching for a good proc. :D

RiO said:
Btw, what instrument/music do you play? Good to find another musician on TE :)

i am a fluitist at core.. but also have my hands on keyboard these days.. keyboard is mandatory for composing .. i'll try posting some of my compositions.. wil send a link..

In AMD world, megahertz is king... 200MHz extra will give you better performance than an extra meg of cache. However if you want 2 megs of cache, get the opty 165. Core 2 duo is coming out mid june. Expect availability in India by July-August.

Chaos said:
In AMD world, megahertz is king... 200MHz extra will give you better performance than an extra meg of cache. However if you want 2 megs of cache, get the opty 165. Core 2 duo is coming out mid june. Expect availability in India by July-August.

so u would suggest opty 165 not 170? as that shall save me money for an extra ram or any other reason?

Do post some pics of your studio, and which analogue synth do you have ?

I'm getting interested in production these days...:D

Get a 165. as both will max out @ same clock speeds. Get a 170 if you mobo cant hold high HTT. But i would anytime anyday advise you for a 165.

100khz said:
so u would suggest opty 165 not 170? as that shall save me money for an extra ram or any other reason?
The additional RAM is big enough a reason to warrant spending a bit less on a CPU, especially when you're using those recording tools - you can also overclock the 165 to 170 speeds and higher ;)

And I'd recommend a Core 2 Duo over current processors simply because they're faster than current processors, by at least 20%.

sonicrealm said:
what kinda track count do u want?
how many vsti?

note:cubase does benefit frm dual core a lot!

track count shall be very high with extreme routing.. i would use large number of vstis mainly fx (effects) .. many effects , sends mainly in cubase rewired reason eat a lot of cpu.. so in nit shell count can go to 70 to 80 vstis playing same time..

^^ Mate, I'd still recommend a Mac ;)

Try and pick up a Mini and upgrade to 1GB / 2GB RAM.

Which registered music composition software do you have ? I'm currently working working with Ableton Live and it seems amazing.

I didn't really like Cubase that much, and I dying to try logic...

RiO said:
you can also overclock the 165 to 170 speeds and higher ;)

i would even overclock 170 if i get one.. i want a 2.8 ghz performance.. even if i have to get it on water.. though i prefer air.. btw/ how much can i oc 165? any idea?

RiO said:
And I'd recommend a Core 2 Duo over current processors simply because they're faster than current processors, by at least 20%.

waiting for another 2 months is not in my cards.. i gotta take off for mumbai.. n explore opportunities there.. so watever best is available today, i have to go by it..

but if i go for 165 then i will have to oc it..
AMD Opteron Dual-Core 165 1.80GHz 2MB Cache 1000MHz Socket 939 Hyper-Transport Dual-Core Processor with Fan OSA165CDBOX at TigerDirect.com
- read reviews plz.. will it be possible in indian conditions?

Ideally, get Karan's rig that is on sale... he's hit 2.7GHz with an aftermarket air cooler. If you think he's asking too much, PM him and start the negotiations :D The good thing is that it's an overclocked rig so you have little work in getting it setup.

Anish said:
^^ Try and pick up a Mini and upgrade to 1GB / 2GB RAM.
mini mac should be around 70k +.. i would rather buy some monitors etc.. quadra opty.. MAC only when i have some commercial work to do.. i mean $$$ to buy.. i am optimistic, that i will achieve good performance with a good high end pc..

Anish said:
Which registered music composition software do you have ? I'm currently working working with Ableton Live and it seems amazing.

I didn't really like Cubase that much, and I dying to try logic...

i have both FL n Ableton (registered softs).. both have thier pros n cons.. it depends upon ur compatibility. which suits u better.. i love ableton's toy look though.. all softs r good , question is wat suits u how much..

Back