Can I use paypal with Debit cards?

Why not go with entropay.com and make PayPal verified account...they charge 4 $ for every 100$ we add to our entropay visa CARD.. been using it for last 1 year...

Why pay 4.95% extra when you can totally avoid that, EntroPay is easier and for a one time purchase its alright. But if you make a lot of purchases, that 4.95% will easily add up.

Opening a supported bank account is just a few hours effort and will be much cheaper in the long run. :)

@agantuk, @varkey -
Indian Bank : Visited Indian bank and met the most idiotic bunch of people sitting behind a desk. Anyways, after wasting an hour or so they finally told me that they stopped giving Mastercard Debit cards and they've made it only Maestro now. The only chance of me getting a Mastercard Debit card was if I opened an account with them and used my Maestro card for 6 months, then I could considered for upgradation to Mastercard.

ICICI Bank : You're right Agantuk. But they did have three offers for me: 1) Open a normal acc with 10k QAB 2) Open a join acc with a lady and deposit 2k every month for a year 3) Can't remember but it wasn't possible as it was 15 year thing.

Do I have any more options? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think SBI had a YUVA debit card sometime back. It is a VISA card and also comes with an expiry date. Or so I remember. Did you explore that option?

I heard about the YUVA card and I'm not sure if its still running or not but would it work in the paypal authentication stage?

EDIT: Googled it a bit. Seems like it doesn't work.

Reg. the expiry date, I came across this, though I am not sure if it is reliable

For Card Expiry Date, there is little Mathematics which I solved. Yeah! Me, Mrinal Buddekar. Just take ‘Valid From Date’ of your Maestro Card and ADD 5 Years and 8 Months to it. Exactly that much. For E.g. if your card date is 02/2010 then your Expiry date Output shall be 2010 + 5 =2015 and Month 02 + 08 =10. So, resultant date: 10/2015 <- Expiry Date for your Card. If it comes as present month then add 1 more year.

Read more at: http://www.wrock.org/security-tips/how-to-buy-or-make-any-transaction-using-sbi-maestro-card-2

So enthropay is my last option then. Anyways I guess its okay for a once in a while transaction but could someone help me with the costing? If I were to get my SBI Maestro card to work with Enthropay and then use that to pay for a 150$ item, how much would the total cost be in INR (counting paypal and enthropay charges)?

I think SBI had a YUVA debit card sometime back. It is a VISA card and also comes with an expiry date. Or so I remember. Did you explore that option?

The Yuva Debit card stopped working with PayPal a year or two back if I recall correctly. SBI still issues Visa or MasterCard debit cards, but I don't think they work with PayPal.
Most SBI branches are not even aware that they offer Visa/MasterCard debit cards, when my mother opened the account they simply denied they offer such cards initially, finally after talking to them for few minutes they agreed to mention "Visa / MasterCard Debit Card" on the application form but no guarantees at all. After a week my mother did get a MasterCard DC, seems the guys at their processing center are well aware.

@RD274 : You could try visiting another Indian Bank branch where they might be ready to issue a MasterCard DC.

I wouldn't get my hopes up in getting a "Maestro Card" to work on Entropay or any other sites unless they specifically say they allow Maestro debit cards. Go to your SBI branch and ask for a Visa/MasterCard debit card, which should definitely work with Entropay.

Entropay will charge 4.95% more, ie they will charge you $157.425 and your EntroPay account will be credited with $150. The exchange rate will be in turn marked up by 3.5% + tax due to the currency conversion.

@RD274 : You could try visiting another Indian Bank branch where they might be ready to issue a MasterCard DC.

I wouldn't get my hopes up in getting a "Maestro Card" to work on Entropay or any other sites unless they specifically say they allow Maestro debit cards. Go to your SBI branch and ask for a Visa/MasterCard debit card, which should definitely work with Entropay.

Entropay will charge 4.95% more, ie they will charge you $157.425 and your EntroPay account will be credited with $150. The exchange rate will be in turn marked up by 3.5% + tax due to the currency conversion.

Tried that. The other branch I visited clearly stated from the moment I entered that I'll only be able to get Maestro and not Mastercard. The other branchs are a little out of my reach but I'll try there later.

Thanks Varkey. So a 150$ on ebay will cost me : 8549 {8146 INR + 403 INR (conversion 3.5%+approx tax)} on Paypal. And then on that 8549, I'll have to pay 423 as per Enthropay charges (4.95% of 8549) so totally it would be : 8972?

Thanks Varkey. So a 150$ on ebay will cost me : 8549 {8146 INR + 403 INR (conversion 3.5%+approx tax)} on Paypal. And then on that 8549, I'll have to pay 423 as per Enthropay charges (4.95% of 8549) so totally it would be : 8972?

All charges are at the time you load your EntroPay account, and not as you have described, but the final amount would almost be the same.

You first need to load $150 to EntroPay for which you will be charged $157.425. (I am not sure EntroPay allows you to charge the card in INR, their FAQ did mention something as Dynamic Currency Conversion) The exchange rate for today would be Rs 56.60 (you can get it from here, enter 3.9326% as the fee), in INR total will be Rs 8911.

But when you use the EntroPay card with PayPal, make sure you charge it in USD, PayPal may give an option to charge the card in INR which would be double currency conversion and there will be an additional fee by EntroPay.

I can confirm that the SBI Yuva Visa DC doesn't work with PayPal. I have one and had to use the same with Entropay for the one time i did need it.

@varkey, can you confirm if an ICICI DC works for sure with PayPal. I too am scouting for an Indian Bank MasterCard DC and if i don't get that, i will consider ICICI.

@varkey, can you confirm if an ICICI DC works for sure with PayPal. I too am scouting for an Indian Bank MasterCard DC and if i don't get that, i will consider ICICI.

Yes it does work, plus you get 10 reward points per Rs 100 spent on PayPal and 4 points = 1 Re when you redeem it for gift vouchers. That's equivalent to 2.5% cash back! :p

All charges are at the time you load your EntroPay account, and not as you have described, but the final amount would almost be the same.

You first need to load $150 to EntroPay for which you will be charged $157.425. (I am not sure EntroPay allows you to charge the card in INR, their FAQ did mention something as Dynamic Currency Conversion) The exchange rate for today would be Rs 56.60 (you can get it from here, enter 3.9326% as the fee), in INR total will be Rs 8911.

But when you use the EntroPay card with PayPal, make sure you charge it in USD, PayPal may give an option to charge the card in INR which would be double currency conversion and there will be an additional fee by EntroPay.

Ah okay I understand now. So basically using Entropay saves me from conversion charges on Paypal as long as I work it in USD, right? Btw thanks so much Varkey. This will give me a really good idea of how much this entire thing will cost depending on which path I take.

I'll keep the thread updated if I can find something more convenient :)

So basically using Entropay saves me from conversion charges on Paypal as long as I work it in USD, right?

Well, you are not really saving anything, as the conversion charges will be applied when you fund your Entropay account anyway. ;)

@varkey, I am feeling lazy, but I think @RD274 didn't get the double conversion rate thing. If you could explain with numbers, it would make things clearer :p

haha I'm bad with numbers but I got it. Anyways I am most probably opening up a joint account with my mom in ICICI, I just have to deposit 2500 every month for a year and I'll get a ICICI debit card out of it. Much more comfortable than maintaining a 10k acc.

Back