Audio quality discussion : Cellphones vs. mp3 Players

kautherock said:
Is this thread only limited to earplug listening?? If not, then i'd like to suggest n3250.... coz it has the best loudspeaker i've ever heard... nd the sound doesn't distort...

Bro, check out the 6233 and the n73..u'll forget 3250's loudspeaker...plus it has a singular loudspeaker whereas both 6233 and n73 have 2 stereo loudspeakers..which add more realism to the sound...;) N both a pretty loud to be heard well in the crowd..

greenhorn said:
i junked my plans of getting an all in wonder phone

Instead , got a nokia 1110 2K (love the 4 day battery life )

Canon A450 (got it fot 7.5k with card/batteries/charger/pouch)

Transcend T 610 - 3k

EP 630 - 1k

13.5 k total.. owns all ye gizmo phones

Good..you'll be carrying a lot of things together...:p :lol:

blr_p said:
Hmm cellphone player or mp3 player.

Well you are playing a digital file, so the output is the same in terms of bits.

Should all sound the same right ?

No, the difference is the quality of the DAC used.

DAC converts the bits to analog so you can hear what's being played. This is the main part that either makes it sound good or not. If there was a way to know what DACs were used, how good they are, then that's your comparison done.

otherwise there are reams of anecdotal experiences to sift through

See, i'm not interested in loudness, if you try to boost the volume to counter the surrounding noise, your only killing your ears faster (an irreversible process). I plan to be on the dance floor when i'm 80 :p

If you still want to continue then check your ears annually.

For me, it would be about connecting the phone to a small hi-fi or computer speakers wherever i happen to be or even to connect to the car system.

Biggest drawback i see, is listen to music kill your phone battery, most ppl prefer their phone be some cheap nokia that has long battery life *and* be reachable. And then have an additional mp3 player for entertainment.

Other thing is do the mobile companies offer voice mail here, or is it just missed calls, cos if your battery is on the blink, you will never get your calls otherwsie.

surprised to know that n91 sounds so good...never heard a phone that sounds as good as ipod(disclaimer : not an ipod user)...maybe i should give it a try

personally i feel that a dac is an overkill...better still, invest that money into your headphone budget...and if necessary into an amp.....again the sound improvement with a amp is much less than with an improvement in headphone

and the output is not the same in digital files!!the bits vary....in fact you cant hear the difference btw a high bit rate digital file and an original cd

nice..effort...but i think uve missed nokia 6270 in the list...agreed tht its not a good overall phone...but its sond quality is what i and ma frnds are crazy about...
i really think its better than i pod (with stock headphones)....
da SQ is good..and the base is really awesome ..and theres no problem even @ high volume....
and the best i like ..is nokia N 73 ME..and the N91(with that bose headphones)...

I really reccomend Powermp3 for Symbian Nokia phones. I was the first one on TE to use my N70 as my dedicated Mp3 player by using that application and the ad-15 audio adapter to plug in 3.5mm jack headphones, it was then I realized all this "Walkman" stuff from SE is nothing but a gimmick, N-Series could do what W800i did very easily.

The equalizer in the application is amazing, I maxed out the volume, and with some modifications in the qualizer it beat my PC on Windows Media Pllayer in its highest volume.

Params7 said:
I really reccomend Powermp3 for Symbian Nokia phones. I was the first one on TE to use my N70 as my dedicated Mp3 player by using that application and the ad-15 audio adapter to plug in 3.5mm jack headphones, it was then I realized all this "Walkman" stuff from SE is nothing but a gimmick, N-Series could do what W800i did very easily.

The equalizer in the application is amazing, I maxed out the volume, and with some modifications in the qualizer it beat my PC on Windows Media Pllayer in its highest volume.

that took the words out of my mouth.

Honestly i have tried to listen to all the SE phones, and to be 100% honest. i did not like the way they produce bass. I hate the low frequency output on all the walkman range, even K750i. And this is coming after testing 6 different walkman models with MX-51 earphones.

With Powermp3, all Nseries phones get as close to a good MP3 player as i have seen any phone.

Even without it, phones like N91, N73 are good when paired with good headphones.

the n70 doesen't even come close to a proper mp3 player even with powermp3 installed... especially the bass..definitely inadequate..

n73 comes close and the n91 rivals an ipod....

using a p910i since the last 19 months... with powermp3 installed i can challenge the mp3 player on any phone... it is way too loud at full volume & even the highs and lows are good

kkndka said:
the n70 doesen't even come close to a proper mp3 player even with powermp3 installed... especially the bass..definitely inadequate..

n73 comes close and the n91 rivals an ipod....

Heh, you sure about that? Because I can change switch my headphones from N70 on Powermp3 to my PC on Winamp and notice almost no major difference in the quality.

Though sound through the external speakers on N70 is very crappy.

IceFusion said:
yeah...N73 is good, but so far i havent seen any phone with speakers as good as the 6233....

Even better than N95? This phone has the best speakers for music I've ever seen!

See guys as one of you stated, apart from sound quality which is great there are other issues in using a phone as a mp3 player.
The chief i can think of is battery life. . Then you have lack of dedicated jack in most and it is quite irritating to use an adaptor. . Also lack of playback controls in some. .
let us see if nokia 5700 turns things around . It is rumoured to use the same chip as n91 and is quite cheap at around 14k. But! God save us from the ghastly design. . .
:)

^^Agree about the 5700...if only they had given it a nice black finish...:hap5: Else, it seems to be a very nice phone for 14k...btw, as much as i despise the buggy rotating mechanism of the 3250, the same design is carried over to 5700..n given the wear n tear tht happens with this design, i'm skeptical about it as being a good hassle free buy...:no:

Imagine if it falls in a pot of sambhar. . :) them it will become champagne and red . . Instead of white and red.
However nokia's twisters like 3250 are quite trusty

aka911 said:
See guys as one of you stated, apart from sound quality which is great there are other issues in using a phone as a mp3 player.
The chief i can think of is battery life. . Then you have lack of dedicated jack in most and it is quite irritating to use an adaptor. . Also lack of playback controls in some. .
That was me :)

..ur post made me think of the *lack* of a line out on the phone as well, ur not getting as untouched a signal from the headphone jack.

Now the phone ppl will say..well thats err..cos ur supposed to use it on the move...still i say. most mp3 players have a decent line-out and err..yeah ur supposed to use that on the move too...DOH.

I own a w810i
it was the best phone around until w830/850 was released:)
when all of these things are integrated into a phone.. i think we should consider the overall experience with the phone
i would rate any Walkman phone more than N Series.. coz i get really pissed off at the speed at which N series operate.. i aint biased.. its truth
i shud also tell that i have not heard to any Nokia ME phones tho..
considering the phone cam quality + audio package + OS.. i wud go for a SE Walkman, comparing stuff given by the manufacturer

Back