Audio quality discussion : Cellphones vs. mp3 Players

aka911

Skilled
Nowadays it seems people are more interested in getting a better mp3 player in their phones, then say a year ago when all they wanted was a 2mp camera..

I have created this thread, so that instead of creating numerous new threads people can come and ask questions, read other's opinions regarding Mp3 players in the cellphones....

it will be better if everyone can contribute their experience regarding music on a a cellphone...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

as a Starter, I will tell a recent personal comparo I did, using some cellphones and mp3 players.... No spec lists were consulted, no dB measured... It was just based on the fact whether the player sounded good enough to the ears or not (not only mine, but also a few of my friends)

devices: N91
N73 Me
N73
N70
W850(2nd gen walk)
W810(1st gen walk)
Creati Zen V plus
Nano 2nd gen
ipod vid 80 gb
Tsonic 610 1 gb

personal ranking

1)N91,Zen V
2)Nano=video ipod>
3)T610(transcend)>
4)W850>
5)N70>=N73me=N73=>
6)W810

What is strange is that with the same earphones, and same song playing N70 seems to have a better quality then N73/N73 me....
Ofcourse sound quality is not the only thing, N73 does have a easy to use
mp3 player app, plus mass storage..

Also w850 sounds better the w810

N91 and Zen V both had excellent volume and thumpin lows , but the max volume of Zen was not enough fr Bangalore traffic :no:

Both ipod's constantly ignore the lows, but have very less distortion and can get louder then any other thing on market...

btw the W610i compare to the W850i rite? Cz dey r >810i and from the techtree review sounded closer to the W850i.

nVidiaBeast said:
dude. My Imate Jam sound a lot better then IRiver and IPOD :p im not saying this cause i own one but its the truth :)

Excuse me while I laugh into my popcorn...

Source material? Headphones? EQ settings?

nVidiaBeast said:
dude. My Imate Jam sound a lot better then IRiver and IPOD :p im not saying this cause i own one but its the truth :)
That's a bit far fetched ;)

@ aka - Great attempt mate !!

You might also wanna add which headphones, what bitrate, EQ settings the review was done with.

Oh, and please do mention which tracks you used :D

Btw, where wud a p990i stand in this list?? I'm thinking of getting one as the prices are at an all time low..:) :eek:hyeah:

Also those who are using it, how wud u guys rate its loudspeaker?? Is it good enuf to be heard in crowd??

^^ And thts thru the earphones or the loudspeaker tht u r talkin about?? :S

I've heard a lot of ppl say tht nokia phones are a bit low on volume and is not heard in crowd,when playing music..especially through the headphones..but to tell u the truth, i've never needed to go more than 75% of the volume with my 6233,even in trains (thru earphones, that is)...wonder why ppl find nokia phones low on volume...:S..Even my friends always keep the volume at 100% and still rant tht it is not enuf...deaf idiots...:no:...man, i cant stand it at max volumes...maybe my ears are a bit too sensitive...:p

Techhead said:
Excuse me while I laugh into my popcorn...

Source material? Headphones? EQ settings?

1st my phone link :)

[SIZE=-1]www.clubimate.com/t-DETAILS_JAM.aspx

Itsa pocket pc which has WMP10 default installed. i installed 5-6 mp3 players (obviously 3rd party) named as Coreplayer, Lonelycat games jukebox, tcmp player etc.

[/SIZE]

I used my Creative EP-630 Earphones attached with my phone (through a converter pin as my phone has jack smaller then 3.5mm) and the player is windows media player version 10 :) and EQ settings are not present in WMP 10 on my cell. I played many tracks but the best were

:- Anathema-Feel,Angelica (very nice trable - at 23Khz as per headphone specs)

:- H.I.M-The funeral of hearts,Beyond redemption (Awesome bass and mids here)

:- Some THX Bass testing tracks (Below 20Hz)... had some problems hearing them cause they used to tremble my earbuds a lot... :huh: i was not able to hear them and i felt like my eyes wud popped out cause of the pressure. the Bass was much clear and not boomy :)

:- Armin Van Buuren - Sail, Gacalo, Gypsy, Burned with desire - these songs gave me awesome Bass and awesome treble

i heard some hidden frequencies for the 1st time.

i used to listen this songs on PC (thru creative 5.1 and Audigy 4) and in this creative earphones song listening experience was totally new!! i was able to hear the unheard which i didnt hear it on speakers (maybe because of canal earplugs and making it impossible for sound to go outta ears) :)

so you can imagine power of hearing with EQ settings in other players :)

PS:if you guys trust me, i used to give my friends my phone and ep-630 for hearing and at 100% they used to remove the ****in powerful earphone outta their ears :p they could not bear the pressure and used to hear at 50-60% volume. max i can hear till 85-90% Volume. the best past happened with my 3-4 friends after hearing.. they asked me same question "what the F*** is this? which brand?" I proudly said.. "Creative!! worlds best canal earphones (which arent worlds best anyone as AD1 has best one) and yeah they believed it that its worlds best" so whenever i meet my frenz, my cells battery low always so i carry 2 batteries :) lol so this headphone has made a lot of difference overall in audio revolution with me atleast :) and after all it beats any damn IPOD i challenge for that :) (sorry the P.S: is too long) ive been typing so much after a long time :)

i had k750i and n73me at the same time .. and thought that k750i with its org firmware sounded much better and louder even through hpm70 and creative ep 630.. and yeah the max volume on n73me is not that high .. but its quite good enough ..:)

i junked my plans of getting an all in wonder phone :p

Instead , got a nokia 1110 2K (love the 4 day battery life :eek:hyeah:)

Canon A450 (got it fot 7.5k with card/batteries/charger/pouch)

Transcend T 610 - 3k

EP 630 - 1k

13.5 k total.. owns all ye gizmo phones :p

though i am not a music buff, this effort is appreciated and people can be helped a lot

thread rated

need to spread some reps around so that pending.

A request to mods : after some worthy inputs can the first post be compiled to reflect all the details.
like phones recommended in their order, mp3 players in their order, headphones recommended and any other suggestion. TIA.

greenhorn said:
i junked my plans of getting an all in wonder phone :p
Instead , got a nokia 1110 2K (love the 4 day battery life :eek:hyeah:)
Canon A450 (got it fot 7.5k with card/batteries/charger/pouch)
Transcend T 610 - 3k
EP 630 - 1k
13.5 k total.. owns all ye gizmo phones :p

some good thinking there!

Hmm cellphone player or mp3 player.

Well you are playing a digital file, so the output is the same in terms of bits.

Should all sound the same right ?

No, the difference is the quality of the DAC used.

DAC converts the bits to analog so you can hear what's being played. This is the main part that either makes it sound good or not. If there was a way to know what DACs were used, how good they are, then that's your comparison done.

otherwise there are reams of anecdotal experiences to sift through

See, i'm not interested in loudness, if you try to boost the volume to counter the surrounding noise, your only killing your ears faster (an irreversible process). I plan to be on the dance floor when i'm 80 :p

If you still want to continue then check your ears annually.

For me, it would be about connecting the phone to a small hi-fi or computer speakers wherever i happen to be or even to connect to the car system.

Biggest drawback i see, is listen to music kill your phone battery, most ppl prefer their phone be some cheap nokia that has long battery life *and* be reachable. And then have an additional mp3 player for entertainment.

Other thing is do the mobile companies offer voice mail here, or is it just missed calls, cos if your battery is on the blink, you will never get your calls otherwsie.

Is this thread only limited to earplug listening?? If not, then i'd like to suggest n3250.... coz it has the best loudspeaker i've ever heard... nd the sound doesn't distort... :)

Back