Aliexpress.com - Feedback Thread

Just wanna know what if the seller values $100 item for just 20 and when custom scans the items it becomes suspicious as to how can such a big or valuable item be so cheap and all.

If by any means customs scanning shows the actual item in question if not in size but in terms of value worth.
In such scenes do they unpack the packaging?

Just wanna know what if the seller values $100 item for just 20 and when custom scans the items it becomes suspicious as to how can such a big or valuable item be so cheap and all.

If by any means customs scanning shows the actual item in question if not in size but in terms of value worth.
In such scenes do they unpack the packaging?

Yes.

The package will also bear the stamp "opened by Customs".

Mine just read "Cleared by Customs". I don't think it was opened and even if it was they did a great job of packing it back again.

Interesting point raised by @nRiTeCh with the price and size of the shipment. Say for example you find many winter jackets on AliExpress which are around the 1-1.5k (INR) price range. Now a jacket will require a larger package by default so I wonder how the Customs department will deal with it. What I mean is, they might see a $15-$20 price tag on the package, open it (because it's a large sized parcel) and then proceed to derive an arbitrary price along with slapping a duty on it?

Last edited:
Mine just read "Cleared by Customs". I don't think it was opened and even if it was they did a great job of packing it back again.

Interesting point raised by @nRiTeCh with the price and size of the shipment. Say for example you find many winter jackets on AliExpress which are around the 1-1.5k (INR) price range. Now a jacket will require a larger package by default so I wonder how the Customs department will deal with it. What I mean is, they might see a $15-$20 price tag on the package, open it (because it's a large sized parcel) and then proceed to derive an arbitrary price along with slapping a duty on it?

Typically most shippers use Harmonization Codes. These are worldwide standard codes for category of items. For example 85171290 is the code for Smartphones and 61103020 is the code for Sweaters with man made fibers (example: Nylon, Polyester...). For each harmonization code the customs department has a set duty. As long the harmonization code is correct they will know how big the package could be and what price it might have been bought at. Most shippers such as DHL, FedEx put the harmonization code in the customs clearance forms while presenting the package for clearance. See zauba.com for interesting details of what products have been imported and exported into / out of India. You can find Harmonization Code for those articles.

I have asked one of my Sellers to put the correct Harmonization code that I have provided them to be shipped via USPS (US Postal Service) for a organic Micro Nutrient (for plants). I was charged custom duty exactly based on the Harmonization Code.

I have source quite a few winter jacket around Nov & Dec and all jacket price was around 2.5 k..

Not a single time customs was charge for me, all package was received first at kolkata customs..

Typically most shippers use Harmonization Codes. These are worldwide standard codes for category of items. For example 85171290 is the code for Smartphones and 61103020 is the code for Sweaters with man made fibers (example: Nylon, Polyester...). For each harmonization code the customs department has a set duty. As long the harmonization code is correct they will know how big the package could be and what price it might have been bought at. Most shippers such as DHL, FedEx put the harmonization code in the customs clearance forms while presenting the package for clearance. See zauba.com for interesting details of what products have been imported and exported into / out of India. You can find Harmonization Code for those articles.

I have asked one of my Sellers to put the correct Harmonization code that I have provided them to be shipped via USPS (US Postal Service) for a organic Micro Nutrient (for plants). I was charged custom duty exactly based on the Harmonization Code.

Excellent bit of information you have provided, much appreciated.

I looked over and perused the box in which my article (wrist watch) was shipped through AliExpress Standard Shipping and delivered by India Post but couldn't zero in on the Harmonization Code... here are the photos of the said box:

mczn89.jpg

Can you find the code or is it embedded in the barcode below the tracking number which the Customs Department can scan?

Last edited:
received a little surprising packet two days back:
IMG_20180219_080536.jpg

an earphone ordered on 3rd Dec'2016.
was sent through Turkey Post, delivered on 17 Feb'2018.
Felt surprised and delighted as i had even forgotten about this order!

I felt really curious to know the reason and thought of filling an RTI, but then the thought of the hassles the post guys will have to go through, i left the idea.

Gifted the earphone to my nephew, he is also happy!

View attachment 73809

I felt really curious to know the reason and thought of filling an RTI, but then the thought of the hassles the post guys will have to go through, i left the idea.

Dher hai per andher nahin :)

Excellent bit of information you have provided, much appreciated.

I looked over and perused the box in which my article (wrist watch) was shipped through AliExpress Standard Shipping and delivered by India Post but couldn't zero in on the Harmonization Code... here are the photos of the said box:

4uxjza.jpg

mczn89.jpg

Can you find the code or is it embedded in the barcode below the tracking number which the Customs Department can scan?

I wasn't trying to snoop on you but the bar code you provided (you might want to remove it from the post if you do not want people to know where you live) is the actually shipping tracking bar code. The seller is supposed to put in the Harmonization code in the column "HS tariff number and country of origins of goods". Typically they classify it as gift and do not put in this code. This is what generally causes delays at the customs.

View attachment 73809

I was able to run some AI/ML on your attempted hidden address but it appears to be somewhere in Lajpat Nagar, right??? :D

View attachment 73809

Wtf? 2 yrs? Curious to know why it took so long as if ordering from another galaxy.
Was it stuck in India or in between two countries or worst in the origin country.

Damn... 2 years and then it finally arrives, talk about surprises!

In the meantime though, another of my shipments got cleared today from Kolkata Customs. Seems they are only clearing shipments at Kolkata CED on Mondays exclusively.

I needed to order something else a few days back but I knew that the Chinese New Year on the 16th would slow things down with respect to shipping and that's exactly what it was. Seller was kind enough to let me know that he would only ship after the 23rd. Currently 2 of my other orders are pending shipment owing to the delay caused by the Chinese New Year.

Ordered a few things from 3 different sellers. Got one in 2 weeks, 1 is pending with Kolkata sorting office and not trackable last one..

Received my shipment this morning. No duties levied, AliExpress Standard Shipping through Singapore Post. This took only 18 days from date of order to arrive (Ordered on 02-02-2018).

Last edited:
Turkey Post is trash, they just don't send things to India, my shipment is in Turkey since last 15 months. Even the non-trackable China post parcel stuff reaches within a month but this Turkey Post never reaches even with tracking id, they just don't send it.

Turkey Post is trash, they just don't send things to India, my shipment is in Turkey since last 15 months. Even the non-trackable China post parcel stuff reaches within a month but this Turkey Post never reaches even with tracking id, they just don't send it.
This is exactly the reason I discuss with the seller beforehand and ask them to ship it by SingPost even if I had to pay a slightly higher shipping charge.

Planning to place another order, the product has the following shipping options:

11j1av7.jpg

Which should I choose, any pointers would be appreciated.

For me HK has been the fastest (had received parcels in flat 7 days)then Singapore and then the Ali standard shipping.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. If I choose HK Post from the list it says $2.82 extra for shipping which is perfectly fine with me, but will that additional amount attract Customs Duty (since it's paid shipping)?

Also, with HK Post is it eventually handled by India Post?

Last edited:
Back