To download 24x7.

Can someone just post a link or page..how all the above is done. I want to check the ROI and effort needed. I might go for this.

Hello experts,

I'm thinking of getting lowest Compaq 15-s001TU config for doing 24/7 DL plus Net Browsing & General usage for Home Computer (other family member going to use it), Due to no OS will install Ubuntu and Run 'U Torrent Server' on it at as background.

Is it going to work ?

Last edited:
Hello experts,

I'm thinking of getting lowest Compaq 15-s001TU config for doing 24/7 DL plus Net Browsing & General usage for Home Computer (other family member going to use it), Due to no OS will install Ubuntu and Run 'U Torrent Server' on it at as background.

Is it going to work ?

I would suggest to mention your budget for the same. Keeping a laptop 24x7 ON is not the best thing to do.

I would suggest to mention your budget for the same. Keeping a laptop 24x7 ON is not the best thing to do.

Like 20K-22k+ as my budget if it is proper laptop( it will be used/compute for other thing too) ,

The thing in my mind;

1.Run the laptop without battery
2.Sit over laptop cooler etc etc.

Earlier tried pogoplug and miserably failed, Tried DD-WRT but speeds sucks....for bsnl connection. As well retrieving/restarting torrent is very tough as I experienced.

Like 20K-22k+ as my budget if it is proper laptop( it will be used/compute for other thing too) ,

The thing in my mind;

1.Run the laptop without battery
2.Sit over laptop cooler etc etc.

Earlier tried pogoplug and miserably failed, Tried DD-WRT but speeds sucks....for bsnl connection. As well retrieving/restarting torrent is very tough as I experienced.

Not really. having used DD WRT and moved to a dedicated downloader, you need to ensure that the proper ports are forwarded for SSH and Transmission. If Transmission closes for some reason - just restart it using SSH. Coming to restarting torrents - use the Transmission daemon for Android/Windows etc.

BSNL speeds - I do not have any idea. But having used with my ISP - never felt speeds were bad. I get about 800 Kbps on a 1 Mbps line which is good enough for me.

Retrieving torrents - samba/ftp - choose your option.

Now, coming to laptops, I think you should go with ASUS or other brands. Dunno, but I felt that HP/Compaq laptops heatup too much. YMMV. There is a Dell Vostro with ADP for 1 yr with Ubuntu preinstalled for 28K which is good.

Now, coming to laptops, I think you should go with ASUS or other brands. Dunno, but I felt that HP/Compaq laptops heatup too much. YMMV. There is a Dell Vostro with ADP for 1 yr with Ubuntu preinstalled for 28K which is good.

I'm thinking about this model below 24 to 25k and in right time it goes down to 20-22k mark.

HP Compaq 15-s001TU (G8D87PA)

which comes with Free Dos and i3 4th Gen U processor with inbuilt graphics which translate to almost zero heat up issue where the latest Dell Vostro comes with Nvidia graphics with preload Ubuntu 12.04 LTS but lack in HDMI port.

Load up 14.04 - 1 LTS (which will be fluidic in 4th Gen i3 before any customization) in the Compaq model and configure it to the heart content is matter of one afternoon job and the whole LTS support upto 2019 will done with the laptop life.

I have a Dell Mini 10 laptop which I have been using since quite sometime. It came with 1 GB RAM, I upgraded it to 2 GB and installed Windows 7 over the original Windows XP that it came with. It has been on 24x7 for like 3-4 years and has done 10.9 TB downloads till date. So whoever says that keeping a laptop ON for 24x7 is wrong. My laptop has a Intel Atom processor and a 300 GB HDD. I always keep it plugged in and on a laptop cooler. The battery is shot, given that all Dell laptop batteries die in 2- 3 years, it has run its course.

So whoever says that keeping a laptop ON for 24x7 is wrong.
This has been my experience too. My college laptop was on for nearly 4 years 24/7 for downloading and other purposes. It broke in its 5th year but that was due to my carelessness ( The hinge fell apart )

Back