To download 24x7.

I would suggest getting a low power PC + picoPSU. That should draw about 40W, far lesser than a netbook while giving the expansion options not present in one. Plus the cost too would be on the lower end.

For the time being, I would not recommend Gigabyte C1037U board - great board minus USB3, which can be overlooked - an IC on the board got burnt, and Accel Frontline is saying they will repair only, not replace. The IC in question is the PCIe to PCI bridge chip.

The C1037 board comes with a dual core Ivy bridge mobile Celeron 1037U chip, soldered to the board, along with Intel NM70 chipset, which is a cut down variant of the HM75 chipset. This chipset lacks USB3 support natively. Plus, the Intel SATA controller does not support port multipliers. These are the two main cons. The pros are 17W CPU +4.4W chipset TDP power consumption, which is great. You get 3 SATA + 1 eSATA, which is more than enough.

Assuming you are a student, you could get a copy of Server 2012, and enable the Essentials role, giving you the ability to do backups of each Windows machine in your house.

The cost is 5.5K only for the board. RAM + HDDs + etc are extras. So, it may be expensive now, but a very useful device in the future.

From the ARM perspective, you could go with a GoFlexHome or Pogoplug. These will draw less power (12W all incl) and only allow downloading capabilities.

I would suggest getting a low power PC + picoPSU. That should draw about 40W, far lesser than a netbook while giving the expansion options not present in one. Plus the cost too would be on the lower end.

For the time being, I would not recommend Gigabyte C1037U board - great board minus USB3, which can be overlooked - an IC on the board got burnt, and Accel Frontline is saying they will repair only, not replace. The IC in question is the PCIe to PCI bridge chip.

The C1037 board comes with a dual core Ivy bridge mobile Celeron 1037U chip, soldered to the board, along with Intel NM70 chipset, which is a cut down variant of the HM75 chipset. This chipset lacks USB3 support natively. Plus, the Intel SATA controller does not support port multipliers. These are the two main cons. The pros are 17W CPU +4.4W chipset TDP power consumption, which is great. You get 3 SATA + 1 eSATA, which is more than enough.

Assuming you are a student, you could get a copy of Server 2012, and enable the Essentials role, giving you the ability to do backups of each Windows machine in your house.

The cost is 5.5K only for the board. RAM + HDDs + etc are extras. So, it may be expensive now, but a very useful device in the future.

From the ARM perspective, you could go with a GoFlexHome or Pogoplug. These will draw less power (12W all incl) and only allow downloading capabilities.

What's GoFlexHome or Pogoplug?

What's GoFlexHome or Pogoplug?

Small low power devices which can accept a USB HDD. The GFH also can accept a 3.5" SATA HDD. DLNA support is there in GFH stock, while for Pogoplug, you will need to install miniupnpdlna package along with others - It can run ALARM/Debian.

OK. If you want within 4K, go for the RaspberryPi. That should give you the ability to also convert the device into a viewing device if the need ever arises.

If you want a headless unit, then you have choices of GoFlexHome, PogoPlug, WD mybook live. These will cost a bit lesser, but no HDMI out like Pi.

If you want something with Windows, then a low power Atom/Celeron board is the best. Cost is however, on the higherside, plus you will need an internal HDD, not USB HDD for Windows!

A netbook is not a bad option, if you need battery support. However, expansion is limited, say you want to add another HDD for more movies, or you need Gigabit support - AFAIK netbooks are limited to fast ethernet speeds.

my 2 bits, I would personally go for Seagate goflex Net (just base with your own hdd) or Seagate GoFlex Home (with its own HDD), seagate good for flexibility and many other things. Or just if you want 24x7 no nonsense downloading , then look at WD MY CLOUD NAS , it comes in 1tb to 4tb and had a USB port to attach USB HDD too. Add transmission(torrent downloader) to it and your done.

Last edited:
I just gave up on this topic. Will think about it later. It will prolly ba an ATom based cheap tab/netbook or something.

To each his own.

The process of downloading is a very low key and almost any hardware is good enough to be adapted for it across platforms. Resources come into play when one looks at seeding multiple torrents and when the tasks of copying/moving this content comes into play. Dlna based file serving is resource taxing too.

I just assisted a fellow member keen on buying an expensive do it all router, optimise his current downloading platform the rpi. He was having terrible streaming issues on dlna leading him to doubt his existing router and wifi.

Long story short, identify the need first from a broader perspective. In the hifi audio world we call it the chain. Look at the content u download from downloading to consumption and all tasks in berween. Once this chain is clear, decide the platform then suiting one or more of ur chain link duties then.

AFIAK "ATom based cheap tab/netbook or something" will be waste of resources, footprint. etc., like @dheerajjotwani said, to each his own

Not necessarily. Most of the times, I am downloading on my phone or tablet, but many times there are files and sources when I have to use my laptop. Especially when downloading from file hosts as download managers on other platforms aren't as good as IDM, IMHO.
Infact IDM is the first software that I paid for.

I just bought a Asus Rtn14 WiFI router (Rs 3600), similar to the famour RT N13.
Supports torrent downloading to external HDD.

Is there any guide and link which show how to set up the RT14/13 do be a torrent machine. What all needs to be done. And how to access the settings, ie. the torrent client installed.

Is there any guide and link which show how to set up the RT14/13 do be a torrent machine. What all needs to be done. And how to access the settings, ie. the torrent client installed.

So far, N14 is not compatible with DD WRT.

N13 has a full thread and active support.

N14 has in built support by Asus and its all in Asus's manual.
Its UI based, you wont even need the manual.
It supports triggering the download via phone browser and supports uploading a torrent file or a magnet link.

Back