Linux Suggest a Distro for a linux newbie

Sai@tech

Adept
Guys i want to try Linux and i am looking for distro that would be easy for a first timer like me basically want to start with a live cd and hopefully work my way from there to a possible dual boot some time in the future

looking forward to your suggestions

Linux Mint to begin with, Try your hands then on Ubuntu, Fedora too.. Mint is more comfortable at the moment for me compared to Ubuntu's latest release.

Take your choice : Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Both are quite good and newbie friendly compared to the other OS's. If you want, you could also try Android ;)

^^That doesn't qualify as desktop distro.

For beginning Mint, Sabayon or Mandriva. ubuntu is becoming too perplexing with its home grown Unity and problems it delivers.

First understand how the terminal acts. Who is a super user . How to install softwares using terminal. file manipulation & directory surfing using the terminal. Then you will not find much difference in any Distro.

challapradyumna said:
First understand how the terminal acts. Who is a super user . How to install softwares using terminal. file manipulation & directory surfing using the terminal. Then you will not find much difference in any Distro.

and is that why distro like Mint are recommended in the first place? If someone is suggesting a newbie friendly OS , that means he/she won't relentlessly have to switch back and forth to CLI. The point of suggesting a newbie friendly os is to provide almost all access via GUI and easy to use interface. There is not point of suggesting CLI way to a new users.

Else distro like Arch and Gentoo would have made to the suggestion list

^^ i am not referring to the full usage of Terminal just the basic commands like chmod , cd ,apt get install,su etc. If we know them we can use any linux (with some changes ).

challapradyumna said:
^^ i am not referring to the full usage of Terminal just the basic commands like chmod , cd ,apt get install,su etc. If we know them we can use any linux (with some changes ).

the OP probably would be coming in from a W!ND0$ environment, pardon me if i'm wrong.

out there is just download the software and double click and follow instructions and the software is installed. So that is the reason most Distros brought out their respective software package centres, one click and enter password and voila software is ready up and running!

How many people even use the apt get command now a days??? like to test, very rare! So everyone wants the one click install and use mechanism. Unless you really want to get your hands dirty people will still take the safe route.

Also linux runs on most old hardwares. and over its more safe and secure.. who want to run a resource hungry anti-viru$ software on a old piece of hardware.

These are my personal opinions only. others would differ though!

abracadabra said:
the OP probably would be coming in from a W!ND0$ environment, pardon me if i'm wrong.
out there is just download the software and double click and follow instructions and the software is installed. So that is the reason most Distros brought out their respective software package centres, one click and enter password and voila software is ready up and running!

How many people even use the apt get command now a days??? like to test, very rare! So everyone wants the one click install and use mechanism. Unless you really want to get your hands dirty people will still take the safe route.

Also linux runs on most old hardwares. and over its more safe and secure.. who want to run a resource hungry anti-viru$ software on a old piece of hardware.

These are my personal opinions only. others would differ though!

What you are saying is right but IMO , If you want to use it like windows, why linux just use windows directly (No offence @OP) .

Two distros really fit your bill.

Linux mint.

This is based on the best marketed distro: Ubuntu

But Mint comes with customizations that will make your life easy.

PCLInuxOS.

By far the most hassle free distro.

I would rate it higher than Ubuntu or Mint.

Both have great support forums ...

^^No offence. But distro watch rating is vague and is based on hits.

Ubuntu is still at the top no matter what, and fedora doesn't even stand anywhere given the lacklustre architecture.

Ubuntu or Mint. More of Ubuntu. It's great. Easy to get used to
<

A slightly different subject. KDE or GNOME?..

Get ubuntu 10.04 LTS (or the ultimate edition) and install macbuntu . install all satanic stuff like non free codecs , flash, java, chrome etc .Nothing else will beat this combo for a new user . don't try to run and experience liunx from cd/dvd you will hate it in minutes always install it in a separate partition .

Back