Linux Suggest a Distro for a linux newbie

Been trying out mint and really liking it
<
<

looking for a simple guide to dual boot with win 7 any Suggestions ??

A little off topic but , can linux Mint/Ubuntu be run concurrently with Mac OSX lion on a new MBP 13" ? I would like to have the option of dual booting into either OS.

Get ubuntu 10.04 LTS (or the ultimate edition) and install macbuntu . install all satanic stuff like non free codecs , flash, java, chrome etc .Nothing else will beat this combo for a new user . don't try to run and experience liunx from cd/dvd you will hate it in minutes always install it in a separate partition .

Can you tell me more about it?. yeah i did run it from live CD, and i hated it, as i couldnt install the drivers for my WIFI card.
<
but then once i installed it i managed to save and install.

Been trying out mint and really liking it
<
<

looking for a simple guide to dual boot with win 7 any Suggestions ??

I think setting up dual booting becomes easier if you've got windows 7 installed first.

Install windows 7 - install linux. When asked where to put the boot manager, choose boot partition and NOT MBR.

That's it.

See if this guide helps - Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu in Perfect Harmony

Also, once you've got your dual boot set-up going, install super boot manager.

SOURCES.LIST � Super-boot-manager 0.6.1-4 released

Then use it to get a boot menu like -

@ryandigweed

Try Ultimate Edition which is a customized distro based on Ubuntu , you will get most of the media codecs and loads of desktop programs instaled by default no need to add repositories and additional downloads . one problem with Ultimate edition is the horribe default theme the worst one i have seen on any distro .

to get a better (usable) interface add a Mac like interface simply by installing Macbuntu from source forge .

http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbuntu/

install a dock panel like docky

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just want to try out the distros before going for full fledged install, I'd suggest what I'd used:
Install the Linux distro in VirtualBox. New version supports Graphics acceleration also, you'd be able to have better performance/usability than from a LiveCD.
Of course, the best thing is to make a dual boot, but that can be done after you finally select the distro you want to have.

Good luck!

i installed mint aloingside win7 in my netbook...I installed from usb drive,after installation i noticed the GRUB has been copied to my usb...Each time i start the system i need to use usb&make it boot from that else grub wont load...How do i copy to my hdd?

After installing Linux mint, unable to boot into Windows 7...
on the boot menu, it shows Windows 7 at last but unable to boot into it..
What should I do?[DOUBLEPOST=1380100018][/DOUBLEPOST]soyab@soyab-GA-78LMT-S2P ~ $ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for soyab:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-40-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-40-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-17-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-17-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda5
done

Last edited:
Found Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda5
done
Have you confirmed your Windows C drive is indeed in /dev/sda5?
(I'm not sure how 'update-grub', but I had faced this problem when I manually edited the grub.conf file)
If its confirmed, than I suppose you might have to restore windows MBR and edit grub again using any Live CD.

Press down arrow on keyboard and. Select win 7 . Press enter . Win will boot then .
Now thats a solution. :p

He said win 7 was not booting . What must have happened is that after installing linux it boots by default into linux instead of wjn 7 . All he needs to do then is manually select win 7 by pressing down arrow key and selecting win 7 . P.S. I have been using linux since the time of red hat 6 . So I too know a thing or two about linux .

He said win 7 was not booting . What must have happened is that after installing linux it boots by default into linux instead of wjn 7 . All he needs to do then is manually select win 7 by pressing down arrow key and selecting win 7 . P.S. I have been using linux since the time of red hat 6 . So I too know a thing or two about linux .

Ooops by bad. NOM.
I am no expert in Linux. I just played with it couple of times.
But your answer seemed like the solution provided by most Cust Care guys. :p
(And I suppose the OP isn't a mere n00b since he cared to add the 'update-grub' details)

Ooops by bad. NOM.
I am no expert in Linux. I just played with it couple of times.
But your answer seemed like the solution provided by most Cust Care guys. :p
(And I suppose the OP isn't a mere n00b since he cared to add the 'update-grub' details)

Formatted both the drives :mad: (Linux mint and Windows 7) and Installed a fresh windows 7 :)

Now want to know the step by step instructions to install Linux mint 14 in separate drive while having Windows 7 in dual boot..

Honestly try Elementary OS Luna its stable now ans aesthetically its way better than Linux Mint,using it from beta1 ;)
I'm also installed in separate drive installed as usual installed bootloader on /dev/sda(which is by default) done:cool:
Cheers

Honestly try Elementary OS Luna its stable now ans aesthetically its way better than Linux Mint,using it from beta1 ;)
I'm also installed in separate drive installed as usual installed bootloader on /dev/sda(which is by default) done:cool:
Cheers

It looks like Mac os,
Is it open source or paid?

Back