Storage Solutions News: Seagate & Western Digital to cut warranty in 2012

Just got a WD GREEN 1TB back from RMA. Took like 6 days, from me sending of the bundle at my end. It failed within 45 days of usage. Bad sectors in the beginning. One year is way too less for HDD warranty. And I really do not want to invest in an SSD for my DL rig. We all will be swapping HDDs like 120mm fans soon. Lame. This is what happens when there are less players in the market and they decide to monopolize - together.

Gannu said:
On a related note, I hope the data in my backup drives are intact - haven't bothered plugging them and checking it. It's a pain to do the RMA these days. :|

Bro! Do check them up!!

I returned home after 5 months, and my two back-up drives (WD, 1TB each, one internal, one external), BOTH started making clicking sounds!!

I have to RMA them :( one's warranty expires in a few months :(

Now i'm facing an issue of where to backup my stuff before RMA-ing :(

Like Aces put it, buying an overpriced, reduced-warrantied HDD is a waste :(

to all those looking to buy.

buy soon at earliest as 31st dec.is cut off for new warranty to kick in.

I suggest buying hitachi toshiba or third party disk vendors as those guy will still honour 3 yrs warranty.

In any case i felt 5 years was too much..3 yrs is fine.Seagate can give 5 yrs for enterprise ones.1 yr is too less...every >160GB hdd from seagate i have used has gone for RMA atleast once..

Its good that I stocked up on 2TB's (On eBay EMI) before the price rise & warranty cuts... I hope I don't run out of space soon...

Although it may be off topic but I wish to enquire. I had a 250 Gb Seagate External hard disk having 5 years warranty which stopped responding suddenly and so I got it replaced (All my data was lost :mad:). They gave me 320 Gb Hard disk as a replacement but the warranty mentioned on the box was 2 years. I wish to know what is the remaining warranty 2 yrs as mentioned on the Box or 3.5 yrs as per original bill.

Secondly, how do we check hard drives so that we get some symptoms before it crashes. It will be helpful to backup data.

Thirdly, If I continuously plug in my external hard drive to my laptop will it affects the Drive's life.

Now I sincerely regret not having purchased one more drive, but then no one expected this.

Anyways, looks like I shall be getting a WD Black next year.

Guyz iam having problem with my 1TB Drive....some weird sound(click sound) is comming from it whenever i access anything...its 1 year old..so what are the chances of fixing it?

well, i think they are planning for the future. Western markets are now seeing PC builds on SSDs, so the HDD market is going for a toss. Plus, may be they themselves will enter the SSD market and prices will decrease while storage capacities increase. If that is the scenario a couple of years from now, then the warranty cut is a good business decision. And future is a lot faster and affordable, if you ask me.

PS: Optimistic Mood of the day :D

:(

So which is better ? buy now at 7k for 2TB with 3 years warranty OR buy later at 4K with 1 year ?

they don't have warranty extensions ?

Back