Storage Solutions News: Seagate & Western Digital to cut warranty in 2012

Remember the days when we had to say goodbye to CDs and ushered in DVDs....Albeit prepare urself to bid bye to HDDs and usher in SSDs.

Start saving pple to buy SSDs...Am sure that price of SSDs will fall by another 50% in Q3 2012.

wonder what happened to TDK's optical disc format which stored around a TB of data on a single disc. now would be a good time for that to come out.

^^Erm.. anyone have any info on my question above?

I'm torn between buying second-hand RMA-ed HDD which has warranty for more than one year, versus a brand-new one.

and IF I decide to buy a brand new one, and the manufacturing date is from last year, would i get their 3 or 5 year warranty?

heheheh .. .even tech-com memory card reader has 3 yr warranty
<

@ vince,

I don't think that even old HDD's carry revised warranties, if so then it will be a breach in service/contract which is implicitly entered into when we bought that product.

Hence it should be applicable only for newly manufactured drives.

But when we get replacements in return for RMA and if they are ones of the new batch they could be having reduced warranty, unless we fight back.

@ SS Division Germany,

Yeah its funny when u put it with a memory reader, I would say a 5yr warranty on pen drives offered by most companies, will put the face right on HDD Companies.

Guys if my current HDD have 5 years warranty, and if i have to RMA it, will i get the remaining warranty on the HDD, or reduce warranty

Well technically yes. You should receive the balance warranty.

However if u receive a higher version of the drive ie.Size increase, better model it reduces warranty.

I think that WD also provides you an option to register with them the original bill of purchase in case of warranty hassles. So you can try it too, in case u run into troubles.

Like I said in the earlier post, when I RMAd the 2tb elements with 1.5 yr warranty remaining, i received a new 2.5tb wd elements with balance RMA for 11mths wherein they mentioned that the warranty period has been adjusted.

If u face any trouble you can always register ur complaint with them with the scanned copy of the bill.

Back