Macbook Pro 13 @50k vs Dell XPS 15

Get the new xps 15, you get i5+nvidia GT420+4gb ram+500gb HDD and the most important thing: one year complete cover for free wherein you can get your laptop replaced even if you throw it outside your window :eek:hyeah:

From my point of view,for the applications you need to run(from your requirements),will do very well on the macbook pro.

Photoshop runs fine,even better hook it up to a 24" monitor, to get a better look at what you're doing.

Battery life is very good,once caliberated,you will get 7-8 hours.

I have not experiencing lags of any sort on the Mac OS X.

For the price at which you are getting the Macbook Pro,

I'd say its a great buy :)

RamPagE said:
Guys need some urgent advice here. One of my friends is coming from Canada and he can get one Macbook Pro 13" for me.

It will cost $1149 CAD, which converts to around 50k including student discount.
Indian Price for the same - 73k

OR

Should I buy the Dell XPS pre configured for 49990 on Dell India's website?

Requirments - Visual Studio, web surfing, battery, moderate gaming (already have the PS3), future support and it shouldn't feel obsolete in the time to come, maybe for the next 2-3years.
Visual studio means you use Windows on it
So go for the XPS 15
The MBP is good and has good Battery life only in OSX
I suggest you to take Xps 15 but not now
As dell are having problems with XPS 15 now
Takes a month to come :(

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

I'll go with the macbook 13, 99%.

My second option would be, wait for sometime and buy the best laptop/ mac, till then I can buy a decent netbook for 15k, like ASUS 1005px ,as all my main requirements are gonna start from April, next year. Also, I am in need of something for basic computing as of now.

What do you suggest on this guys ?

Desecrator said:
Try installing the OSX on a normal desktop and you'll come across the plethora of issues relating to it. Start with an AMD based system for instance.
Desecrator said:
I am sure the OP does not know the issues pertaining to the compatibility of running OSX on Mac-centric hardware
I'm guessing you need to put in some more work on your language skills... either that, or Apple just started using AMD hardware :O

Desecrator said:
O rly? Quite a news to me that was! Thank you for the insight!
You are welcome.

^Installation of the Hackintosh on AMD based systems are insanely hard if not doable. Tried installing it on a Athlon II X2 240 based PC but no go. Which is why I posted that. I'm sure Hackintosh users would vouch for an Intel based PC.

I was on the same boat like the o.p a month ago.My HP laptop died on me after series of problems.Was torn between latitudes,thinkpads and mbp,did some research and guess what! thinkpad t410(only decent thinkpad now)costs around 58k(i3,2gb,intel hd)that too without o.s,latitude was not far behind(don`t remember exact price,around 60k),both had ultra crappy sound,poor display when compared to mbp. Bought MBP for 63k and so far not a single hitch.

So if someone can get a mbp for 50k,it is indeed a great deal.

I am no apple fanboy,this is my first mac,I donot like my wifey`s 3gs,and rate cowon pmps above ipods.

Desecrator said:
^Installation of the Hackintosh on AMD based systems are insanely hard if not doable. Tried installing it on a Athlon II X2 240 based PC but no go. Which is why I posted that. I'm sure Hackintosh users would vouch for an Intel based PC.
You still don't get it do you??

There's no question of how well OSX is going to run on hardware that Apple sells it with. There can be no doubts about this.. coz otherwise, Apple would pretty much go under..

However, using the compatibility of the hardware, 'on which it very obviously runs' as a + for going with an MBP is a STUPID suggestion.
Talk about how good Apple are at design, Talk about how OSX is, Talk about how good the MBPs battery life is, Talk about how much better MBP's screen is compared to most other laptops.. but please don't insult the intelligence of the OP or anyone else by claiming that OSX is highly 'compatible' with its 'own' hardware

superczar said:
I was a serial lappy changer (the old timers here would vouch for it :p )
till I got a MBP about 2 years ago! :)
The puppies in your siggy would vouch to it :p
If they decide to bring back rig gallery that is :(

red dragon said:
Has anyone of you guys seen or used the new xps?How is the keyboard and track pad?
Not personally no.. But AT was pretty impressed with it.. but then half the world hates its guts simply because of its looks.

stalker said:
You still don't get it do you??

There's no question of how well OSX is going to run on hardware that Apple sells it with. There can be no doubts about this.. coz otherwise, Apple would pretty much go under..

However, using the compatibility of the hardware, 'on which it very obviously runs' as a + for going with an MBP is a STUPID suggestion.
Talk about how good Apple are at design, Talk about how OSX is, Talk about how good the MBPs battery life is, Talk about how much better MBP's screen is compared to most other laptops.. but please don't insult the intelligence of the OP or anyone else by claiming that OSX is highly 'compatible' with its 'own' hardware
Meh, a mbp for 50k is a killer deal be it an outdated processor! :p

At least much better than owning a refurb. laptop with another outdated processor. :bleh:

Desecrator said:
Meh, a mbp for 50k is a killer deal be it an outdated processor! :p

At least much better than owning a refurb. laptop with another outdated processor. :bleh:

Spend twice the amount of money I spent on this, and you'll still just about barely be able to buy a laptop with a better GPU :p

MBP has a lot of things going for it as stalker pointed out the battery life, screen quality etc. But Gannu an outdated mobile chips should not only be judged on performance but on power consumption, too. The i3/i5 proccies are much better in that aspect.

Design is a very personal choice, I like the slick metallic industrial designs. But atleast for me the most important part in a portable device is its portability and the battery life, where MBP wins.

Well, i would say if you are planning to use it mainly for windows applications like Visual Studio and you dont want it to get outdated soon go with the Dell XPS.

The Core i5 running on the XPS would be much faster than the Core 2 Duo from a longetivity as well as performance point of view. Moreover the XPS is suitable for some moderate gaming too.

If you are worried too much about portability & battery life over performance then the MBP sounds like a better choice like Aces mentioned.

@OP
if excluding the 1st post, all of your other posts are mentioning that you need better support for future apps..
your requirements echo as 'better/vfm hardware'

do you still need more hints?

or is the 'getting 20-25k discount' a better selling point? or rather a better reason to purchase something.
i have even better solution to end your problems.

get that mbp for 50k

use it for a month.
if you are not satisfied, then sell it.
im sure there will be many takers of the same at the same price (atleast).
and then you can get Dell XPS15 provided you are dissatisfied with mbp.

Back