Macbook Pro 13 @50k vs Dell XPS 15

RamPagE

Adept
Guys need some urgent advice here. One of my friends is coming from Canada and he can get one Macbook Pro 13" for me.

It will cost $1149 CAD, which converts to around 50k including student discount.
Indian Price for the same - 73k

OR

Should I buy the Dell XPS pre configured for 49990 on Dell India's website?

Requirments - Visual Studio, web surfing, battery, moderate gaming (already have the PS3), future support and it shouldn't feel obsolete in the time to come, maybe for the next 2-3years.

RamPagE said:
Guys need some urgent advice here. One of my friends is coming from Canada and he can get one Macbook Pro 13" for me.

It will cost $1149 CAD, which converts to around 50k including student discount.

Indian Price for the same - 73k

OR

Should I buy the Dell XPS pre configured for 49990 on Dell India's website?

Requirments - Visual Studio, web surfing, battery, moderate gaming (already have the PS3), future support and it shouldn't feel obsolete in the time to come, maybe for the next 2-3years.
I would say go for Dell XPS considering you would need a windows for running Visual Studio. you can do windows on mac but experience is sub-standard. Plus, its a XPS is more better configuration

MBP without an iota of doubt! You can claim the international warranty without a fuss (plus extend it with the Apple Care plan) and Bootcamp works like a breeze for all your Windows based apps. :)

Damn that's a huge difference in price! :O

Gaurish said:
I would say go for Dell XPS considering you would need a windows for running Visual Studio. you can do windows on mac but experience is sub-standard. Plus, its a XPS is more better configuration

Desecrator said:
MBP without an iota of doubt! You can claim the international warranty without a fuss (plus extend it with the Apple Care plan) and Bootcamp works like a breeze for all your Windows based apps. :)

Damn that's a huge difference in price! :O
Thanks for the advice guys.

The main thing I want to know, is the macbook pro 13's core 2 duo processor worth over dell xps 15's i5. I am planning to keep this laptop for 2-3 years.

^No. But unless you need such prowess, there is no point in investing in the i5 processor. Besides, the MBP 13" is no slouch either. You are saving quite an amount for the Mac and the OSX is a totally different experience unless you have used it yourself. :)

Desecrator said:
^No. But unless you need such prowess, there is no point in investing in the i5 processor. Besides, the MBP 13" is no slouch either. You are saving quite an amount for the Mac and the OSX is a totally different experience unless you have used it yourself. :)
have never used OSX in the past :(

The things inclining me towards macbook pro are, 3 times the normal battery, portable, future reliability, OSX, social symbol, looks gorgeous, saving about 13k if you consider ebay's price, which is the lowest around in India.

Things inclining me towards XPS 15 are better processor , Dell A.S.S, future support.

Also unfortunately dont have that kinda money to go for macbook pro 15, having i5, which is costing Rs.77.8k from Canada.

I am really confused considering theses factors.

^Apple customer support is impeccable - I can vouch for that having experienced it myself. As good as Dell's support if I may add. Just like Dell's Complete Care package you can avail Apple Care to extend the warranty of the Apple product.

On what accounts would you require future support? If you are talking of upgrading then that is not possible on the XPS either apart from the usual memory and hard drive upgrades. I cannot find a reason why would you be requiring a better system since your applications/requirements do not warrant a better system. If you were hellbent on gaming or using photoshop and the likes, the XPS would have made sense.

I'd say, get the Mac and add a 60GB SSD and you have a blazing fast, zippier system with you! :)

Future upgrades as in will the current config support future apps and all. Thats what I am concerned about. I use photoshop as well but not that much.

So, ill be most probably going with the macbook pro.

Also, the Apple care plan is costing me Rs.9500 from that place. But cant spend more than 50k as of now :(. Will I be able to apply this plan in future ?

Desecrator said:
^Apple customer support is impeccable - I can vouch for that having experienced it myself. As good as Dell's support if I may add. Just like Dell's Complete Care package you can avail Apple Care to extend the warranty of the Apple product.

On what accounts would you require future support? If you are talking of upgrading then that is not possible on the XPS either apart from the usual memory and hard drive upgrades. I cannot find a reason why would you be requiring a better system since your applications/requirements do not warrant a better system. If you were hellbent on gaming or using photoshop and the likes, the XPS would have made sense.

I'd say, get the Mac and add a 60GB SSD and you have a blazing fast, zippier system with you! :)

^Yes and that is the only downside if I may add. Running a truck over the mbp or spilling coffee will not get you a replacement. :p

RamPagE said:
Will I be able to apply this plan in future ?
Definitely! You can buy it before the warranty expires. :)

The system specs of the MBP 13" is not a downer - it does perform exceedingly well given that OSX's compatibility with Apple's hardware is unmatched.

This might be a good read for you - Apple MacBook Pro 13: Can a Mac Be a Decent Windows Laptop? - AnandTech

/sigh, at times I wish I was never a gamer.

Desecrator said:
Definitely! :)

The system specs of the MBP 13" is not a downer - it does perform exceedingly well given that OSX's compatibility with Apple's hardware is unmatched.

This might be a good read for you - Apple MacBook Pro 13: Can a Mac Be a Decent Windows Laptop? - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
The MBP has a 3 year old processor.
OSX's compatibility with Apple hardware? You are kidding me right? Kidding on 2 counts... It's not Apple's hardware, as you very well know. secondly, if OSX did not run smoothly on a MBP, Apple would be doomed.. stop pointing out silly things.

The AT article is a good read.. so is their recent holiday laptop buyers guide. As is pretty nicely put in the same, if you are willing to pay the Apple Tax (More money for lesser features), go ahead with your MBP purchase.

To throw a spanner into the works, do consider the NEW 15" XPS as well. Design is a love it/hate it thing, but if you are ok with it, then its currently the best value deal on the market bar none. This is with respect to everything.. service, build quality(no more sucky plastic..), features, screen, battery life.. you name it.

apple care can be bought until you actual warranty expires...
Means, you have about 1 yr to get one, hope arranging 10k in 1yr should not be a prob..

Edit: Seems a lot of browser delay, lot of people had answered earlier...

stalker said:
Design is a love it/hate it thing, but if you are ok with it, then its currently the best value deal on the market bar none. This is with respect to everything.. service, build quality(no more sucky plastic..), features, screen, battery life.. you name it.

Very true having seen a Dell XPS 15 from a friend

stalker said:
The MBP has a 3 year old processor.
OSX's compatibility with Apple hardware? You are kidding me right? Kidding on 2 counts... It's not Apple's hardware, as you very well know. secondly, if OSX did not run smoothly on a MBP, Apple would be doomed.. stop pointing out silly things.
Einstein, the post wasn't aimed at you so it is totally cool if you found it silly! I am sure the OP does not know the issues pertaining to the compatibility of running OSX on Mac-centric hardware and he feels the hardware is a bit outdated. And stop behaving condescendingly FFS!

And since when did a 3 year old processor sound outdated? Time to get a reality check! The E8400 I have on my desktop still kicks some serious ass.

Desecrator said:
I am sure the OP does not know the issues pertaining to the compatibility of running OSX on Mac-centric hardware
I'm all ears.. tell me all about it.

Desecrator said:
and he feels the hardware is a bit outdated. And stop behaving condescendingly FFS!

1. The MBP with a C2D IS outdated.
2. meh.

Desecrator said:
And since when did a 3 year old processor sound outdated? Time to get a reality check! The E8400 I have on my desktop still kicks some serious ass.

When was the last time you played a game on your PC? :p
You have to keep in mind that there can never be a comparison between desktop and mobile processors. They simply CANNOT be equated.

Almost had decided for he MBP.

But all these posts have made it even more confusing.

All I need is a well functional system, which can take future apps with ease for the next 2-3 years, with a good battery life (my main concerns).

I think I might still go with MBP. But only thing I am afraid of is that C2D is already an outdated proccy, and 2 years down the line, donno whats gonna happen :(

stalker said:
I'm all ears.. tell me all about it.
Try installing the OSX on a normal desktop and you'll come across the plethora of issues relating to it. Start with an AMD based system for instance.

stalker said:
1. The MBP with a C2D IS outdated.

I do not know what your definitions of outdated mean, but at least to me, those benches posted by Anand doesn't look so.

stalker said:
When was the last time you played a game on your PC? :p

Today morn. Hot Pursuit it was.

stalker said:
You have to keep in mind that there can never be a comparison between desktop and mobile processors. They simply CANNOT be equated.

O rly? Quite a news to me that was! Thank you for the insight!

Back