Is it worth buying a macbook?

Hardware can go bad, be it Apple's or HP's or Dell's. If you are concerned about hardware going bad due to rough usage, invest in a laptop that can guarantee you good and prompt after sales service. Make sure you take adequate cover for a sufficient period of time. Other than that, I believe most laptops in the price range you are looking at, come with decent build quality and internal components. If you are gonna look for defects, you will find it in any laptop (even the MBP.. take a look at Main Page - Appledefects).

P.S: I have a HP DV6516 laptop which I'm using for the past 3 years and 1 month, without any problems. I do not have a desktop, and my lappy runs for weeks continuously without reboots or shut downs. So, it comes to maintenance (of both hardware and software) as well.

Ok guys,thanks a lot for your time and effort.Now it is between the macbook and vostro.I can get a decently speced vostro for 46k and a mb for 56k.Will buy either of them in next 3-4 days.

if you can afford the Mac go for it, its a lifestyle choice. And also it should satisfy your computing needs. If some software that you use all the time is not available then its a bad idea.

this is what I got,

MacBook Pro

MC374HN/A

MacBook Pro 13” Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz/4GB/250GB/GeForce 320M/SD

Rs. 66,650

MC375HN/A

MacBook Pro 13” Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB/320GB/GeForce 320M/SD

Rs. 82,200

1. VAT @ 4% extra.

I have a friend who has Zenith and DELL ......I dunno about other experiences...but his experience with Zenth has been far more superior than of dells.And the funny part is that both the companies service center is at the same location.

However he gets Zenith part replaced much faster and easily than dell. also his usage has been quite rough , however his zentigh has shown much ruggedness than dell which proved to be delicate darling.

Dell on the other hand which no doubt look good, is in the workshop because the service centre guys say that they have to follow a lot of procedures which often take 2-3 weeks just for them to report the problem.

So my conclusion about hardware is that it may boil down to your luck. But with regards to software if you are willing to pay the premium you MAC wil be much more hassle and bug free .

extended warranty will cost another ~110$ from ebay, dont get it from apple store, itll cost twice that

if you main concern is stability, osx>>win

MacBook Pro 13” Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz/4GB/250GB/GeForce 320M/SD

MacBook Pro 13” Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB/320GB/GeForce 320M/SD

Get the most basic mpb you can find, then add more ram or a bigger hdd as needed, much chaper that way

Only downside is you need a displayport adapter to attach it to external devices

I am a VERY VERY happy macbook user since 2008!

Buy it if you like (to use) Mac OS X! I don't see any point of using a macbook for windows purposes or highend gaming (sure, there are options) because you get notebooks with higher specs for that price range.

i would say try the macbookpro ... i have a brand new dell inspiron but i am tempted to try the mac as everyone praises it a lot .. if possible get the mac from the US from a friend or relative as the price diff is huge ...

go with the mac ..the 13.3" 2.66 ghz model is the most wanted model .. get that only .

well...i have experiences with a thinkpad, dell precision and a macbook

1. got my thinkpad r60 4 years ago when i joined college...its ROCK SOLID!! trust me..i've dropped it..slept on it...its still going strong!!

2. a friend has a dell precision (brother to the latitude i guess)..well built..good performance...

3. another friend has a macbook (currrent gen)...performance is not the best i've seen...even after taking extremely good care of it, the plastic gets scratched terribly and becomes yellow and dirty!! and a major problem i have with it is that there are no leds or lights to show the basic details (wifi,bluetooth on/off, hdd use,caps lock,num lock etc)

i would really recommend the thinkpad lineup incase u still havent bought the laptop...gr8 customer service as well

freeworldspecie said:
I have a friend who has Zenith and DELL ......I dunno about other experiences...but his experience with Zenth has been far more superior than of dells.And the funny part is that both the companies service center is at the same location.

However he gets Zenith part replaced much faster and easily than dell. also his usage has been quite rough , however his zentigh has shown much ruggedness than dell which proved to be delicate darling.

Dell on the other hand which no doubt look good, is in the workshop because the service centre guys say that they have to follow a lot of procedures which often take 2-3 weeks just for them to report the problem.

So my conclusion about hardware is that it may boil down to your luck. But with regards to software if you are willing to pay the premium you MAC wil be much more hassle and bug free .

Are you sure he has Dell and not Hell :p

Dell has service centres :S Atleast I am not aware of the same. Thats news to me.

Yes,Dell has opened some service centres,one is in Kolkata.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

unreal_ishan said:
well...i have experiences with a thinkpad, dell precision and a macbook

1. got my thinkpad r60 4 years ago when i joined college...its ROCK SOLID!! trust me..i've dropped it..slept on it...its still going strong!!

2. a friend has a dell precision (brother to the latitude i guess)..well built..good performance...

3. another friend has a macbook (currrent gen)...performance is not the best i've seen...even after taking extremely good care of it, the plastic gets scratched terribly and becomes yellow and dirty!! and a major problem i have with it is that there are no leds or lights to show the basic details (wifi,bluetooth on/off, hdd use,caps lock,num lock etc)

i would really recommend the thinkpad lineup incase u still havent bought the laptop...gr8 customer service as well
I am not into good looks atm.Just need a stable machine which can live through some travelling atleast for 2-3 years.Dell precision is way above my budget and it does not have 13 or 14 inchers.Thinkpads are reasonably good though.

Are you sure they are authorised service centres. I searched the dell website but a query on "Service Centre" resulted in no results.

Infact even Kolkata returned no results.

I hope you are not confusing Dell Stores/resellers with a service centre. The Dell stores deal only in sales and not in service. Not

officially atleast.

red dragon said:
Yes,Dell has opened some service centres,one is in Kolkata.

Back