Is it worth buying a macbook?

red dragon

Justiceforall
Skilled
Hello guys,I am really fed up with my HP dv6 laptop,it is not even 1 year old but has given me enough trouble,the LCD has been replaced once and awaits another replacement,it is staying in the service centre(which is pathetic to say the least)for most of the time:mad:.I will give it to my wife when it returns.
Now I am planning to buy a macbook knowing it is overpriced,but I want some peace of mind. Requirements are pretty basic.Music,movies,photoshop,presentation in seminers.Is it worth paying 56k?BTW I have never used a mac,how difficult is the transition?Is there any other alternatives?Please do not suggest me a Dell,they are equally unreliable as HP.
@Mods,you can delete the other thread created by me on the price of macbook.

reasonsnotto64002.jpg

^Yes,they are stealing,but my warranty on the HP crap will be over in a month time and I am sure this junk will screw up again and after warranty period HP is a bigger thief (they dont even extend warranty now)

I think a mac is totally overrated. have been using mac os x on a virtual machine and it didn't impress me much. as for the viruses, then one could even be infected on a mac if one doesn't apply some common sense (have been running windows 7 without an av for over 5 months now without infection)

now as for the hardware, my bro has a dell inspiron, and it hasn't given him any trouble in over the 8 months he has owned it...a number of my friends have it (for longer periods of time) and its the same with them, mind you they are all the careless type.

just my 2 cents, in the end its up to you.

Dude I am not worried about virus attacks,I need a hassle free thing,I had a vostro for 3 years and it served me well,but now this HP thing is driving me crazy and the built quality of inspirons are kind of scary.I am not into show offs,but now a days my job demands a lot of travel and I need a dependable thing.I am not an apple fanboy BTW,just own an ipod touch.

Get a latitude/vostro if you are looking for non Apple options.

From a hardware point view (without going into the whole overpriced debate), mac's are pretty damn decent at what they set out to do and how they achieve it.
You wont be disappointed for sure.

lol.. i can understand.

now i don't know how an inspiron would stand heavy use, though i think they are just ok though not so great. haven't used a macbook though and so can't comment on its build quality and if it is worth the huge increase in price.

I would say go for Dell. Inspiron is not that bad, but if you can spend more, go for a better model. Never had good experience with HP products.

EDIT: Even Lenovo thinkpad series is a good option.

Where are you stay put? If you have a Croma outlet or an iStore in your locality, pay a visit and see the Macbooks in person. :)

you should not have opted for HP in the first place. Go for something like Dell Studio XPS or Sony Vaio E-series. If you want a macbook, you better go for macbook pro. coz macbook is just another laptop with a bloated price tag. Also if I am right, macbooks and 13" macbook pros in India still run on stale core2duo.

^^Yes,that was a mistake.Yes both of them still run on C2Ds.Pro has 2gb more ram and bigger hard drive and the aluminium body,but as my needs are basic,wont probably need the extra ram.My only real requirement is stability.Goofing up in seminers over some stupid laptop failure is not at all acceptable.

macbook pro is awesome for the user experience

you can get ms office and replacements for most windows apps on mac os

rma is also good...had to replace my lcd and mobo, i got it back in 10 days as good as new

build quality is awesome

inbuilt speakers are way better than most other lappys

best is to get the basic MBP then add your own hdd/ram if yoy need more...getting it through apple is too expensive

have kept lappy running for aver a month without reboot

red dragon said:
^^Yes,that was a mistake.Yes both of them still run on C2Ds.Pro has 2gb more ram and bigger hard drive and the aluminium body,but as my needs are basic,wont probably need the extra ram.My only real requirement is stability.Goofing up in seminers over some stupid laptop failure is not at all acceptable.
If you need to present at seminars then you would need to buy the cable additionally to connect to projectors as Macbooks dont come with the Port. Your best bet is Dell Business series lappy's with 3 year NBD warranty and you can get a really well specced machine in your budget. Your second need is stability and minimum down times. Which to be honest are only possible with Dell as you get on site repairs any where in the world by just qouting your service tag. I am kind of amazed that you went from Dell to HP. HP just plain S#ck$ big time.

As far as Macbooks are concerened the only pro I see is the extended battery life. The real difference is between MBP and the rest but that again is grossly overpriced. I would suggest you to buy 14 incher Dell Vostro/Latitude with 9 cell battery and complete Care.

OK,I will look into new vostros as lattitudes are probably over my budget of 60k .The inspirons do not look strong enough.BTW if the Macs donot have the port where does the cable fit?

its always worth buying a mac. their support is second to none, the quality, build n feel is top notch, everything from the viewing angles to the sound to the battery life is way better then anything on the market at the moment, i used to get 6hrs easy from my 09 gen. ... cant think of any laptop that gives such runtime. dont waste ur money on a dell.. get a mbp. ull never regret it. :)

You should have never bought HP. Service is the worst.

Dell has good service. Vostro 3400/3500 are good affordable laptops. Latitudes are costly (I use E6400).

You can also look at Thinkpads as they are strudy as Latitude but cheaper.

I think the OP might have a feeling that the price for the macbooks may not be worth it. Besides there may be rough usage involved during his course of study so it may not be worthwhile investing in one ATM. And yeah you will need additional adapter/cable to connect to a VGA port since the macbooks come with a mini display port.

Dell Latitude is another alternative. Build quality is better than the Insipiron and the Studio range.

Get a MacBook if you have the money...

I got one and I am hooked onto OSX for life !!!

And the best thing is the worldwide warranty based on serial number!

Awesome support, unmatched battery life, premium quality and the superb trackpad!

I tried working on Windows 7 once after I got used to OSX, but I can positively say that I'll never go the windows way in the near future.

Go for Lenovo Thinkpads business models as they offer good service along with sturdy models.

Your issue is crystal clear.. u will be travelling a lot and u need a sturdy lappy. You dont want a MBP to have problems during travelling after investing so much money in.

Latitude ones from dell are also good. Pretty study and robust.

Back