How often do you change your mobile phone?

For me the specs don't matter. In my case, I would not even call it upgrading. I just like to swap phones from different brands even if they have the same specs. It gives me some sort of an emotional high.:p

you got on the android curve when the rate of change was the fastest. Its plateauing now. Nearly all apps will run pretty well for a good two years.

You are right. It's a minimal upgrade this year across the board if you check out s5, z2, g pro 2, HTC one 2 etc etc.

But if nvidia really sticks to it's schedule then kepler phones (43k benchmark antutu scores) coming out next year will be setting new standards and I am definitely getting one :p

The best thing i hear about tegra is the heat management is much better than others. So for gaming tegra is ideal.

next to zero 3rd party support for it though.

Been using my Lumia800 for 2.5 years now, without any protective case or screen guard, Still impressed with its design & build quality.

Phone enthusiast. My history. AFAIR

N72-E72-5233-5230-E63-Optimus One-Defy-Vibrant-Captivate-Lumia 800-S2-Xperia S-S3-Note-Nexus S-Bold 3-iPhone 4S-S3 Again-Z10-Galaxy Nexus-Razr V3i-Palm Pixi-Note Again-Atrix-One X-iPhone 4-iPhone 5-Photon-Nokia 701-Galaxy Nexus Again-Note 2-Lumia 820-Moto XT910-Bold 4.

Many still missing. :p

Currently using S4 and lookinng forward to an s5 soon.

Let's see if I can recall my phone buying history. Adding the amount of all of them should have got me a new Civic or something. Jeez at how stupid we are, at least some of us.

First cell was a Moto E365, in October 2004. Then it started..

P910i - SE W850 - SE K750 - SE K790i - N95 (got stolen within couple of months) - N95 no.2 - P1i - W960 - W990 - hTC K-JAM - hTC TyTn II - Xperia X1 - BB Bold 9000 - BB Flip - Nokia 5800XM - Nokia E63 - hTC Touch Diamond Pro - Nokia E90 - Samsung Jet - Samsung Omnia HD i8910 - Samsung Wave S8500 - and then started the Droid era, S2 i9000 - Note 2 - S4 i9500 (current phone)

I'm sure I've missed a few.
It was less than three months at first when I got bored with a new phone, and I didn't care about price. But now, even if I get bored, that's usually is six months, and I'll never pay anything beyond 35k behind a bloody phone anymore.
The longest I used was P910i for eleven months, and then S2 for 15 months, and P1i for almost 9 months. It was the best overall typing phone I've used too. Quality wise I'll never forget Xperia X1, and I can't say how much I loved those stripe lighting at sides of the phone.
The worst was W960 and BB Flip.

Last edited:
I don't change mobiles so frequently, although sometimes I would like to. My mobile history, to the best of my knowledge, is as follows:

Nokia 7250i - Around mid 2004, my first intro into the world of mobile phones..
Motorola E398 - Early 2007. Was a regular at howardforums to read about flashing this amazing phone.. It endured all my experiments until mid 2008, when it finally became a brick.
Nokia 5320 Xpressmusic - Q3 2008. Lasted until end of 2010. Was handed over to my wife, who used it until early 2013, when it started causing minor problems. I still have the mobile, and it works for basic calling and texting purposes.
ZTE Blade - Early 2011. Discovered this mobile here on TE. Lasted well until Q3 2013, when I stumbled upon another good deal here on TE. Had sold the Blade to a TE member, but unfortunately, the device was lost by the stupid courier people. :(
Nokia Lumia 520 - Sometime in Sep/Oct 2013. Bought the AT&T version from US for around 6k. Loved this mobile, until a freak accident in Dec 2013 broke it to pieces, literally.
Samsung Galaxy S Advance - Was bought sometime in early 2013 and used by my wife. After my Lumia broke, I have taken over this laggy mobile for some time. :p

I did that in a gap of 6 to 8 months. My friends help me a lot in this. If I have to sell my old one they somehow arrange a buyer at reasonable price. I am using Nokia X now and after this I will probably shift to Vibe Z.

Nokia 3310 - mid 2007-08

A b/w motorola - used for ~3 months in 2008

Nokia 1208 - 2008-10

Sigmatel chinese phone- ~4 months in 2010

Nokia 2730 - ~2 months in 2010

Nokia 3315- late 2010 to feb 2011

G'five g9000i bb bold replica -
Feb 2011- present (using it as backup phone. Still get ~20 days battery backup :D

LG optimus one P500 - june 2011- present

until a freak accident in Dec 2013 broke it to pieces, literally.
:eek:
How??What happend?

:eek:
How??What happend?

It fell down from over two storeys high and landed bang on the upper right corner in concrete. The screen was shattered. The back plate broke in a couple of places. More importantly, the main board or motherboard or whatever it is called, had bent at over 60 degrees in the upper right corner, and the chassis in that area was broken and the internals visible. :( Had given it for "servicing" but was quoted almost 4.5k (almost 75% of the cost price) to get the repairs done, with no guarantees. So left it at that.

My phone history:

Nokia 3315 - 2003-2006

No phone - 2007-2009 (Used bro's SE W550i/Nokia Xpress Music 5310 sometimes) :p

SE G502 - 2010-2012

SE Live with Walkman - 2012-2013

Iphone5 - 2013-present :D

I generally feel the impulse to buy a new handset every 12 months but I resist as far as I can.

After I left the restricted world of CDMA phones my upgrade cycle has been Nokia E51 (2008) -> Blackberry 8900 -> HTC Legend -> Samsung Focus -> HTC One X (Jan 2013) :bag: :greedy:

I almost bought a Nexus 5 but managed to beat my impulse (maybe coz I bought a Grand 2 for my wife instead). Hopefully am set for next two years now. :happy:

Back