How often do you change your mobile phone?

I don't remember phones I have used in details. I do remember in 2004-06 i had a simple phone which came free with a voda number :eek: then in 2008 I guess bought the Nokia E50>Spice 101>Nokia 101? >Asha501 (July 2013) >Nokia Asha 210>Lumia 525. I am very happy with Asha 210 and bought the Lumia 525 just for the sake of navigation. I have 2 numbers, i use a pre-paid on the lumia and post paid on the 210. 210 is a damn good phone, battery lasts forever. Will use it for as long as possible. It is my primary phone.

Rather than looking to what latest is available in market, it makes sense that for what an individual is going to use a phone. I mean what ground breaking productivity difference going to occur in case of getting new cell every now and then ? One should stick to a phone till it fulfills his/her requirements. Moment its not, search for another good VFM phone satisfying his/her requirements and move on. I m pretty satisfied with my iPhone 4 as of now, as long as it is able to suit and fulfill my requirements. I too do have that craving of getting better/new/high-end phone but then again what difference/impact it is going to make ? This very same rule can be applied in general life too, though bit difficult to apply in today's glam. It might sound saint-ish but I feel overall an individual will be more satisfied and have peace. :)

It might sound saint-ish but I feel overall an individual will be more satisfied and have peace. :)
yroSvkb.jpg

For people who changed phones frequently, what was the reason, just want to try new stuff or you really wanted to new phone because it did something awesome which your existing phone did not do?
Or your current phone was crappy and you wanted new and realized that the new is also bad and wanted another and this cycle continues ?

Nokia 3310 (3months) > sigmatel fxd something (5months) > nokia 1208 (1.5years) > g'five g9000 (3months) > lg optimus one p500 (using it since last 2.5 years)

I have no intention to change my phone for atleast 2 years :D

For people who changed phones frequently, what was the reason, just want to try new stuff or you really wanted to new phone because it did something awesome which your existing phone did not do?
Or your current phone was crappy and you wanted new and realized that the new is also bad and wanted another and this cycle continues ?

I am on my phone like 12 hrs a day. I use it more than I use my laptop for productivity. So I just used to get bored with them pretty quickly. I never wanted this feature or that processor. I just wanted a new experience and that's why I kept changing phones. Now that even new phones don't excite me at all, I have stuck to this Galaxy Nexus for more than six months as my main phone because it does what I need it to do. I did keep a secondary phone that I used to keep changing frequently just for the experience but that has now been the 808 for quite some time as well. Looks like my passion for all devices mobile has fizzled out just like it did for computer hardware and IEMs. I am getting interested in automobiles now but that is a very expensive hobby that I am currently in no condition to pursue.
I am thinking of starting touring now. I have a Bullet handed down to me by my father and I always wanted to go on tours but never had the means before. I might do the Leh tour this summer, the one that Royal Enfield organises just to get a taste of it. Hopefully, I don't get sucked into photography because that is another expensive hobby.

I am on my phone like 12 hrs a day. I use it more than I use my laptop for productivity. So I just used to get bored with them pretty quickly. I never wanted this feature or that processor. I just wanted a new experience and that's why I kept changing phones. Now that even new phones don't excite me at all, I have stuck to this Galaxy Nexus for more than six months as my main phone because it does what I need it to do. I did keep a secondary phone that I used to keep changing frequently just for the experience but that has now been the 808 for quite some time as well. Looks like my passion for all devices mobile has fizzled out just like it did for computer hardware and IEMs. I am getting interested in automobiles now but that is a very expensive hobby that I am currently in no condition to pursue.

You say you are 12 Hours on your phone then don't you think you get used to a certain device and would not want a change as the device does everything you want and you have got accustomed to the look and feel of the device ?

A phone is not an extension of my personality and it is definitely not the other way around.
it's a tool like any other.

on xda i saw a comment where this guy was saying the phone he uses says a lot about the person he is...

i don't know how to digest this comment.

Last edited:

I kinda agree with this but I think of it as the other way around. That is, in today's age of consumerism and materialism, the things we own do define us in some way or other. Not everyone can be an artist, so we show our creativity, our distinctiveness with the things we buy. I think it applies even more to people like us who like to research what we wanna buy and flock to the forums for that.
I am in the market for a new bike. I went to the Harley showroom yesterday, but I found more information at xBhp than I could ever find via them. What does that tell about me? I am pretty sure if someone knew that I went through 100 page ownership threads last night, they would think of me differently than just a rich brat who is using his parent's money to look cool. Just my 2 cents.

That makes me a dumb guy whose only interest is show off, i own iPhone.
More about keeping up appearances. If you can't manage that then you're somehow unworthy.

if you want to borrow money you want to look like you can repay.

if you are a business person, then you want to look successful as it invites more business. With the business class putting up a winning front is innate.

So its not about showing off (crass) but more like a health/confidence status indicator.

Last edited:
More about keeping up appearances. If you can't manage that then you're somehow unworthy.

if you want to borrow money you want to look like you can repay it.

if you are a business person, then you want to look successful as it invites more business.

So its not about showing off (crass) but more like a health status indicator :)

But i never bought the iPhone as status indicator, i just got it because i liked most of the things about the phone and it fit well to my requirements and i did not pay a fortune (read 40K and above) to buy that.

I kinda agree with this but I think of it as the other way around. That is, in today's age of consumerism and materialism, the things we own do define us in some way or other. Not everyone can be an artist, so we show our creativity, our distinctiveness with the things we buy. I think it applies even more to people like us who like to research what we wanna buy and flock to the forums for that.
In this forum and other consumer oriented ie what to buy and why.

I am in the market for a new bike. I went to the Harley showroom yesterday, but I found more information at xBhp than I could ever find via them. What does that tell about me? I am pretty sure if someone knew that I went through 100 page ownership threads last night, they would think of me differently than just a rich brat who is using his parent's money to look cool. Just my 2 cents.
I'm doing the same with washing machines, currently :D

I've met people who are content to just walk into a showrom and let the salesperson make up their mind. I can't do that any more.

Back