How often do you change your mobile phone?

No you are clearly jel. Why are you bothered what your friends are buying? Why are you trying to judge them? and who are you to say anything if they spend their parents' money? Just because you cannot afford a new phone for every 4 months, don't go around telling people that they are stupid.

Go to jelly school.
I am jealous:eek:?????That's what you think.And the other part that who am to i say anything...Well my friend may I ask you who are you to stop me?I can say anything I want to say until its under forums rules?I am not flaming or saying anything against anybody.Am i?I just created this thread to tell you guys what I think and ask you what you think?And If you didn't like my point of view,you could have simply replied with your point of view.And with this you're trying to judge me.:mad:

I don't think the OP is jealous, its just curious to see people changing devices every few months or so. In addition it takes work to keep it up or a generous cash flow. I'm constantly throwing the same question at reviewers who do the very same thing. If you're going to dump something that's just 2-3 months old then how credible are you when you push or favourably review your most recent acquisition. Conversely how seriously do i take your critiques about something you did not like or flag as an issue. I'm more likely to take seriously somebody that decides on what to get or explains why they got it and are still stuck with that decision and are more or less content with it 6 months or even a year down the line.

Anyways, coming back to your question. When i was in college, i dint realize the value of money since my parents basically said yes to everything i demanded. Now that i have a job, i realize the value of money and how difficult it is to be making an earning. I have drastically cut down all extravagant expenses. I dont eat at expensive restaurants, i dont drink CCD coffee, i have sold off many of my gadgets except those which i need. I cant even think about spending 40k on a phone. Maximum i will spend is 5k :p.

Man, you definitely need to change job. :p

<fun intended>[DOUBLEPOST=1392708626][/DOUBLEPOST]I used my last phone for 3+ years (Nokia N79.) Now days I think 2 years is the time frame I go for; and 15K is my max limit.

I got my first phone in 2009, it was a phone from FLY - didn't cost more than 1.5k (dad bought it used). I was very happy with it add my first phone ever. Played many ROMs from the in built emulator.

Second phone Motorola defy. May 2011. Epic phone, I still have it and it's my permanent Wi-Fi hotspot machine.

Third phone was the absolutely sexy Motorola Atrix HD. November 2012. Sadly the phone broke with my accident in Jan 2013. Had to go back to using the Moto defy for another two months.

Then in March of 2013 I got the Sony Xperia Z. Brilliant phone and I'm gonna stick with it for another year minimum.

Wow. You guys can certainly stick with a phone for a long time. Where are the guys from the other end of the spectrum?

Here is my history (started using phones in 2002):

Nokia 3310 -> Sony Ericsson J210i -> Sony Ericsson W950i -> Nokia 5233 -> Dell Streak -> Dell XCD35 -> Samsung Note -> Samsung Note 2 -> Nokia Asha 200 (my current phone).

Some of the above phones stayed with me for more than 3 years and some less than a year (haven't included the ones which stayed for less than 15 days with me). Now I have got over the anxiety of buying a new phone and my Asha 200 is serving me well.

Single Sim : Samsung Galaxy Grand Pro -> Nexus 4 -> Note 2 -> iPhone 5 -> Nexus 4 -> Sony Tipo (For a day) -> Galaxy Nexus

Dual Sim : Galaxy Grand -> Lenovo A820 -> Galaxy Grand 2

And this is just for year 2013 till now. And I still have all the above phones except for the A820 which was sold.

Wow. You guys can certainly stick with a phone for a long time. Where are the guys from the other end of the spectrum?

Phone isn't everything :p its just a personal communication device for me.. as well as many others. there's so many other things to do in life...

Phone isn't everything :p its just a personal communication device for me.. as well as many others. there's so many other things to do in life...

I agree that it has many different uses for different people. I just wanted people who I know change their phones frequently to post in this thread also.

My history in no particular order. Some of these phones I have owned several times.
Nokia 6070, Moto Rokr EM30, HTC Evo 4g,Samsung Galaxy S2, HP Pre 3, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy S3, Note 2, HTC One, Galaxy Nexus, Droid DNA, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, LG Optimus G, HTC One MAX, Lumia 1520, Nokia N8, Nokia 808 Pureview, Nokia 3315.

Some I have owned for days, some for weeks and the N8, 808, Note 2, S2 and Galaxy Nexus are the only phones I kept for months apart from the Nokia 6070 and MotoROKR EM30 which I used for 2 years each during my college years. Most of the above mentioned phones I have passed on to either family members or sold over here.

Edit - Also had a Note 510. Will add more when I remember.

Last edited:
Well if you don't waste your parent's money, they'll find a way to waste it for you ;) Both my parents have been notorious in finding the absolute terrible investment schemes over the years.

I'd rather waste money (which if it serves a purpose is not wasting money) than let them 'invest' it. I'm not a big fan of mobile phones so the appeal isn't there for me.

First of all, OP good thread!

Next up i have changed phones a little bit too frequently ever since my 2 years+ Nokia 5800 XM died :(

Here is the order and timing of each phone i have ever used :
Samsung (X210) [2 years 11 months then lost it while heading to the gym :( :( ]-->Nokia N72 (Mom's phone i used for around 3 months )--> Nokia 5800XM [ 2 years 7 months or so] --> Samsung Galaxy Fit [ 5 months ] --> Blackberry 8520 ( 3 years)--> HTC explorer ( 5 months) --> Optimus L9 ( 5 months ) --> LUmia 720 (PResent phone will keep for the next 2 years atleast )

The changes were mainly because i did not like the keyboard of most of them or the camera! The 720 is real keeper and i will be using it for a while now :)

Now days I think 2 years is the time frame I go for; and 15K is my max limit.
So if it costs 30k then do you keep it for 4 years ?

Now for some interesting (ie cannot explain) trends here...
S2-> Note 2 -> Nexus 5 -> Moto G :p
flagship to mid range and happy :eek:

assuming the other 3 are no longer in his possession.

Here is my history (started using phones in 2002):

Nokia 3310 -> Sony Ericsson J210i -> Sony Ericsson W950i -> Nokia 5233 -> Dell Streak -> Dell XCD35 -> Samsung Note -> Samsung Note 2 -> Nokia Asha 200 (my current phone).

Some of the above phones stayed with me for more than 3 years and some less than a year (haven't included the ones which stayed for less than 15 days with me). Now I have got over the anxiety of buying a new phone and my Asha 200 is serving me well.
note 2 to asha 200 (!)

My history in no particular order. Some of these phones I have owned several times.
Nokia 6070, Moto Rokr EM30, HTC Evo 4g,Samsung Galaxy S2, HP Pre 3, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy S3, Note 2, HTC One, Galaxy Nexus, Droid DNA, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, LG Optimus G, HTC One MAX, Lumia 1520, Nokia N8, Nokia 808 Pureview, Nokia 3315.

Most of the above mentioned phones I have passed on to either family members or sold over here.

Edit - Also had a Note 510. Will add more when I remember.
How coud you ever let go of the underlined phones ?

How could you ever let go of the underlined phones ?

I still have the 808, which I will replace with the Lumia 1020 once they become cheaper to procure and unlock. I have had several HTC One but frankly Droid DNA is a much better phone than the One. I kept the Note 2 for nearly six months, longest I have kept a single phone in the recent past.

>>So if it costs 30k then do you keep it for 4 years ?

This will not just be the only factor; but yeah if I spend that much money, I would sure want to use it more than a mid range phone.

I still have the 808, which I will replace with the Lumia 1020 once they become cheaper to procure and unlock. I have had several HTC One but frankly Droid DNA is a much better phone than the One. I kept the Note 2 for nearly six months, longest I have kept a single phone in the recent past.
1020 will become cheaper. One of the obstacles to getting phones often is the high asking price coupled with the equally fast depreciation. iphone holds its value best. android less so. windows phones are the worst of the lot. Mostly because companies keep releasing new phones some times more desperately than others. Small wonder people aren't that eager to upgrade and even considering mid range as it makes more sense, price wise as well as for usability.

HTC 8x, anyone remember that phone ? no, because its lost its value thanks to nokia. 8x is a better version of the lumia 720 with the same form factor. 925 was the replacement to 920. Fine. Then 1020 came out, couple of months later there is this unusable 1520 because its so damn big. if that wasn't enough nokia then brings the 1320 soon after. Now they release the icon, which looks very desirable ( a WP8 Z1 look a like) but only for verizon (!) WTH is nokia doing !! can nokia calm down.

So best bet for windows phone is second hand. good bargains to be had.

Samsung releases two flagships a year in two very distinct segments, s people dont want notes and vice versa.
sony seems to be coming to their senses of late and most likely release the Z2 in Sept.
HTC alternates between the butterfly & one. Their insane Indian pricing does not help sales but retains value more. Good candidate for importing.

Last edited:
Back