Has Apple Really Ever Invented Anything?

I am no Apple Fan Boy or anything and i do say that apple might not have invented anything but i do see that today many companies in various hardware like phone, tablet and laptops / ultrabooks are trying to mimic what apple did. Like the flow of Ultrabooks only after Mac Book Air came out. Some of the lenovo U series laptops are looking like Mac Books.
Phones and tablets are done to death so not bothering with that.

PS: I might be wrong in whatever i said above and anyone here is free to correct me.

I am no Apple Fan Boy or anything and i do say that apple might not have invented anything but i do see that today many companies in various hardware like phone, tablet and laptops / ultrabooks are trying to mimic what apple did. Like the flow of Ultrabooks only after Mac Book Air came out. Some of the lenovo U series laptops are looking like Mac Books.
Phones and tablets are done to death so not bothering with that.

PS: I might be wrong in whatever i said above and anyone here is free to correct me.
I am no fanboy of apple myself as i have only 1 iPhone, 1 iPad & 1 iPod Classic and 5 different Android Devices. However i would say that nothing was as it is now till Apple came up with its great ideas of, well the list is long. Besides everything, i like the quality (Would Rather spend more and buy a Toyota then living with Suzuki).

Besides that, i have never got value for my money in any of the android devices (Apart From Galaxy Nexus). Recently purchased a TF700T and already planning to sell it (Pathetic Device with Freaking Poor Battery Life, Dies in 2 days of Idle time even with the doc & battery fully charged).

PS: These are my views and mine only.

^^ Well, considering its an endless list, can you name a few of these great "Apple" ideas that did not exist before in any form and were revolutionary (rather than evolutionary) and whose inception was done over the period since the rebirth of Apple in 1996? The idea/innovation has to be completely "in House" to count (don't really care if the final end product is manufactured outside). For instance many people attribute Multi-Touch to Apple's when it is merely acquired (purchased) technology, so it does not count as Apples idea even if they hold some patents.

So why did not that company come up with the idea of an iPhone.

Not the ingredients (Nature or your supermarket) but the Chef is appreciated for a great dish. It needs innovation to encourage a consumer to buy the same technology (Like, Have Laptops really Changed in 30 Odd Years apart from an HD camera in the front and some technological changes beneath the keyboard). At the end i will say, even if they have bought a technology (Do not we all do that, Hell Even MJ did it, bought whatever he liked, These things come with MONEY), one really need to foresee, predict and if that does not work then encourage consumer to join their 'Idea Of Evolution/Revolution'.
Being a Solution Architect I see that every day, Buying an idea is not bad, the bad thing is to have a great idea and not able to convince people to put their money in it :).

GODSPEED

Interesting video.

iFanboys, please before starting 'the war' watch the video - it said apple is the master chef and they are great at that. But they should just stop the 'iInvention' crap and iSue-you-for-rectangle stuffs.

Inventing something is quite different from making it extremely usable for the masses in a way which makes competitors want to follow your path and still earn profits. There is a lot of skill required in that and Apple's ~$100 Billion cash reserves are testimony to that.

So, Apple might not be an inventor per se but I'm not sure what you would term a person who takes a diamond from a mine and polishes it till it becomes a diamond that is good enough to bring in profits.

I think of Apple as a shrewd and aggressive businessman. Maybe its Steve Jobs's DNA that is still present in the company. Why did it majorly target Samsung when so many other handset makers are out there with similar designs (calling it similar is actually a exercise in stupidity since rectangle with a button is not a "design")?

But all said and done, I don't know how people who target Apple can dismiss the fact that the iPhone was the reason that Android and Microsoft stepped up their game.

Thank you Apple! Now, I am going to buy a 12-13" convertible form factor Windows 8 ultrabook, the next version of XBOX along with a Windows 8 phone. Thank you for making all your competitors get off their butt! :D

PS: People who love Android should be thankful to Apple too. Say it now! Say it! @Lord Nemesis

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Sei.. You had me until "for the masses".

None of the appls products are for masses. They are costly compared to similar products, qualtity umm they do replace stuff and give you a refurbished replacement, peace of mind yes, it has limited features and the finicky ones are conveniently described as unproductive and hacked off.

@ Jay Mathers

The Toyota / Suzuki jab. Bang on..

However, it is Apple's approach that is sickening. Apple doesnt want to mess with Google for obvious reasons but they have now unwittedly pushed manufacturers towards W8/WP8, something they really are going to regret.

What Apple doesn't want is a repeat of Mac/PC battle and being relegated to an 'also ran' considering how fast Android lapped up market share. So they struck early.

But now that finally a worthy alternative to Android has arrived (features only) it is only about time Apple starts feeling the heat.

I am no fanboy of apple myself as i have only 1 iPhone, 1 iPad & 1 iPod Classic and 5 different Android Devices. However i would say that nothing was as it is now till Apple came up with its great ideas of, well the list is long. Besides everything, i like the quality (Would Rather spend more and buy a Toyota then living with Suzuki).

Besides that, i have never got value for my money in any of the android devices (Apart From Galaxy Nexus). Recently purchased a TF700T and already planning to sell it (Pathetic Device with Freaking Poor Battery Life, Dies in 2 days of Idle time even with the doc & battery fully charged).

PS: These are my views and mine only.

You compared Apple to android. So that is unfair.
You could compare Apple to let's say Samsung. and when you compare, compare Apple phones with likes of S3 or S2 or Nexus because thats what you are paying for.
You cannot compare Apple iPhone to Galaxy Y obviously.
You can't blame Samsung for bringing out a a android device that many can afford. (When it is cheap you do have to make compromises on certain parameters)

You could compare Apple to let's say Samsung. and when you compare, compare Apple phones with likes of S3 or S2 or Nexus because thats what you are paying for.
You can't blame Samsung for bringing out a a android device that many can afford. (When it is cheap you do have to make compromises on certain parameters)
:hail:

Cannot agree more with this.

found it somewhere in fb :D

315030_438956852822314_1746341569_n.jpg

Attachments

• 315030_438956852822314_1746341569_n.jpg
    315030_438956852822314_1746341569_n.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 84
Apple hasn't really invented anything.
They just take something and make it better, and easy to use to general public. Now before you say it's not affordable, forget about general public in India. For us, iphone is 'very expensive' or 'expansive'. To people outside India, it is just 'costly'. iphone 4s starts from 199$ and average monthly salary in USA is just above 3000$

I think this anecdote better sums up Apple:

"You're ripping us off!", Steve shouted, raising his voice even higher. "I trusted you, and now you're stealing from us!"

But Bill Gates just stood there coolly, looking Steve directly in the eye, before starting to speak in his squeaky voice.

"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it."
Folklore.org: Macintosh Stories: A Rich Neighbor Named Xerox

People who say 'Apple has not invented anything' or so and so company hasnt invented anything has to be naive. Do you think all the major players out there invent everything they produce? No. You cant wait to invent everything from scratch to make a phone/tab or whatever.

What apple did is make great designs, and then scout the world for manufacturing processes and materials that fit their vision of quality and finish, and look out for new technologies that they can use. Xerox had the gui, mouse etc, but it would've remained in their labs if Apple did not 'steal' it. Steve jobs had the vision to see what others dint see. That has made Apple what it is today. And the fact that other manufacturers are trying (still) to emulate Apple products are a testament in itself to them. And yes, project butter on a quadcore is still not as smooth as a 3gs :p

Kindly do not start flaming this thread. Keep the discussion cool and forward.

Apple has really got the others off their butt, Microsoft more than Google.

And rather than blaming Apple for the mess, I feel the USPTO must rethink their approach. So should the courts. Companies should not be allowed to play such games.

And this is an unrelated, but why is Apple not looked into for anti competitive behavior?

Like the flow of Ultrabooks only after Mac Book Air came out. Some of the lenovo U series laptops are looking like Mac Books.

The video pointedly tells you that there were such offerings from SONY (cast Magnesium shell) and Lenovo has a device made of Carbon Fiber. Not Aluminium unibody but close and as rightly pointed out it is a very,very wasteful process.

Also this wave of Ultrabooks is Intel's obsession with what Apple had proposed them earlier but could not get in on the project (the current generation Intel Core i5 / i7 processors in which Intel has got an overall decent balance between all three -- battery life, processing power and capable iGP). Currently AMD Llano based laptops with similar battery capacity provide a better battery-life than their Intel Core i5 counterparts whilst usage of the iGP and processor for light-work [word processing, web browsing and watching movies; main forte of a net-top / ultrabook], HP has released Trinity based laptops under the Ultrathin moniker. What will you say to those?

Apple has created an obsession that is the only thing that they have invented in my books. Solely my views, Cheerio!

Back