Has Apple Really Ever Invented Anything?

Nails are not cast. They are manufactured using a forming machine wherein wire from the required metal is fed from a reel through a cavity and a hammer strikes the open end into a die which forms the head of the nail. Nail making machines are very common. Nails cannot be cast. Casting is done for objects of complex shapes such as the engine block of an IC engine.
Hey I was quoting an off head example. Nothing to do with logic or whether it is cast/not :p . Oh! the beauty of internet debate ;)
Btw, whats your opinion, isnt the procedure too wasteful.

I wouldn't surprise if this uni body discussion was there in auto section... But for a lappy seriously joking
as a mechanical engineer, what is saw in above video it looked more like a metal wasting process to me..

Sent from my rectangle with curved corners phone which apple can sue any day, using Tapatalk

Apple's unibody macbooks with the Alu. construction is manufactured in a vertical CNC milling machine. A solid Alu. block is fed into the machine and undergoes several rounds of precise cutting using a milling tool, based on the design fed by the user into the computer. That white fluid in the video is the cutting fluid typically a mix of a lubricant and coolant in a water based solution, cools the block while undergoing the machining process. Some of the cutouts are achieved by the milling process itself - for instance the holes for the chiclet keyboard. The finer ones such as the speaker grill, battery indicator and sleep indicator are laser drilled from what I can infer from the video. So yes this process is quite complex in itself.

Definitely. You should see some of the HAAS ( one of the manufacturers) machines in action. They spin at not less than 10000 rpm, cutting chips like anything, quite a phenomenon. Though the process is not as difficult as it seems to be. :p

Seriously, the Unibody is being discussed as an invention now? Tell that to the countless automobile and aircraft manufacturers. Just because they use a technology that exists before hand and use it in a different way doesn't mean that they have the right to patent it and stop anyone from using the same tech. Poor Samsung, I don't like their imitating style, but they still got sued for things silly enough that even a child can look through it, unless he's brainwashed beforehand too.

The question is did Apple invent anything after Woz? The answer is yes, but not anything worth speaking of. Period.

Apple didn't invent anything. They just perfected it(Personal Opinion). Kudos for that.

Suing everyone for trying to do the same(even by mimicking), seriously not done.

Saw an interesting comment over at Verge -

RadSpaceman's reply:Microsoft and Google are ESSENTIAL tech companies. They produce products that the world uses to power commerce and business. If they disappeared overnight the world would really miss them.
Apple produces consumer status symbol products. They have done a great job of creating a must have ACCESSORY. If they disappeared overnight the world would still get things done. They do not create any essential tech.
That is not to say that people don’t use their products for business but they are replaceable and non-essencial.
Consumer is hot right now. People in the WORLD now have been trained to lust products and buy them in planned cycles. That is not out of need it is out of greed and a need to belong to the elite STATUS that we have created to push the consumerization of our economy.
Apple sits at the top because they create EXTREMELY expensive, high profit margin disposable goods.
How many things to you pay hundreds and often times thousands of dollars for that only last a year or two? It is rediculous. You can’t replace parts on them yourself. You can upgrade them, you can’t service them. They keep coming out and they have trained people to buy each iteration of them.
One of the most annoying things they always say in their keynotes is “our most amazing BLANK yet.” Well not shit Sherlock! I am sick of it.
I have owed and still own some Apple products. After this SNOOZE FEST that was WWDC I am sick and tired of their little game. 3000 dollars for a laptop computer that you want me to buy 500 dollars worth of your stupid looking dongels for to hook up to anything? What a bunch of bull.
Don’t get me wrong I love retina displays but they don’t own the market on that. 220 PPI is now a retina display? They can suck it!
MS is not a perfect company by any means and some things about their culture I don’t jive with. But at least they don’t make me want to vomit in my mouth when I hear them talk. Or see them for that matter.
Windows 8 here I come. Now just get me a high res display and a quality machine. I am already sold on your strategy.
Apple. Ipad is a stupid name for a product and I have always thought they were a boring P.O.S. After playing with some Windows 8 tablets and seeing what is in the works from MS you can take your IPAD and shove it. I am so sick of hearing your bullshit. You are not a fun or generous company at all. You are the new EVIL.
The Apple is poisoned. Windows wasn’t cool for a long time, but tides are shifting…

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 | 2:46 AM EDT

Apple is making its second big mistake | The Verge Forums

This more or less sums up what my current state of mind is. :p

I still wonder why apple does not allow iOs to be installed on other pc's legally like Microsoft Windows or other os's like Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

^^ I guess you mean Mac OS ? The answer is quite simple. With a tight control over the hardware (and drivers) that they support, they can ensure that the OS works fairly stable enough at least for the average Joe. My own personal experience says that Mac OS is getting increasingly buggy and unstable with each release. Once they allow it to be installed legally on PC's it would soon become apparent how much better Windows behaves under diverse hardware conditions. That is not something Apple would like to become apparent. Apple has always been afraid about providing flexibility/freedom to the user (regardless of the platform) as that would also mean more areas for breakage. Their solution is to keep features bare minimal and have a tight control over their platforms and lastly if issues do crop up despite all that, they just try playing the blame game.

Apple's rot starts with its Samsung lawsuit win | Michael Wolff | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Apple is one of the most aggressive intellectual property litigators of all time. Its major moves have not been about protecting precise technical innovations, but about claiming the much softer zone of look and feel. It sues for brand rather than engineering. It has pioneered a new modern sensibility: taste is what's most valuable; identity is king. It's sued about the lower case "i"; it's sued about the word "pod"; it's sued New York City over the "big Apple"; it's sued over using the words "app store".

This fierce defensiveness might be rightly understood in a psychological sense: Apple itself is based on stolen iconography. There was first the Beatle's Apple and there was Xerox PARC's desktop design. Apple's self-righteousness masks its guilt. (It may be sheepish, too, about being more of a marketing organization than a technology company.) What's more, it knows better than anybody that if you relax your vigilance, somebody can easily walk off with what you've done – and improve it.

And then, in the algebra of Samsung's loss and Apple's victory, there's patent hell. Or absurdity.

Patents are, arguably, no longer a system of protection; they are a system of litigation. Great numbers of patents are now filed, in an over-burdened system, to protect not innovations but the right to litigate over innovations. Indeed, any patent of value will ultimately be litigated.
What's more, as the system has become ever more over-taxed, as technology itself has become more complex, the ill-equipped and under-trained bureaucracy has increasingly taken to giving patents to wide-ranging abstractions. Design concepts, behavior adjustments, and new approaches to problem solving are all patentable innovations. The system itself assumes that litigation is the check on the system. Which means, fundamentally, that the litigant with the most resources and greatest status wins.

^^ As I said earlier, I repeat again. As Apple had started in 1984 with a great bang, with the promise of 1984 being not 'The' 1984 as envisioned by George Orwell, where corporate's like IBM would control the masses, Apple just replaced the latter with itself.

Welcome to 2012, The year of the Apple.

Time for Apple anthems, what-say?

I guess now no more invention I mean patent after the iPhone 5 release. Noting ground breaking or amazing feature. Just the same phone with larger screen, small connector and new OS.
Android devices are going to rock ahead....

I guess now no more invention I mean patent after the iPhone 5 release. Noting ground breaking or amazing feature. Just the same phone with larger screen, small connector and new OS.
Android devices are going to rock ahead....
Well the curved design is already there. Wait for sometime, they'll say lighter phone is also their concept.

Back