Android 80% vs iOS 14% lets have some fun comments :)

I am not a fan of either of the OSes but find it strange when iOS people talk about fragmentation. Seriously?! So what next? Macintosh is better than Windows because........fragmentation? People still run XP, others on Vista, Windows 7 and now Win 8 - that too no small amount of changes.
Yes, iOs has better dev support, better ecosystem...and no fragmentation cause they don't license it.
Fragmentation is good for the customer, you can get the device you want.

Its the devs that have to deal with it. Ensure their apps can handle any screen size.

It would be interesting to see what the figures look like 6 months to a year after Apple launches their budget iPhones.

The people who keep talking about only marketing being a reason for Apple's success seem like haters! I've owned an iPhone 4 for 3 years now and don't recall seeing a single Apple commercial on TV, in the print media or other forms of advertising that influenced my decision to buy one. The only reason I picked it over any android device on the market was because it seemed like a better put together product than any Andrioid device out there at the time. I also have had no desire to switch to an Android device or any newer iterations of the iPhone as all the changes seem minimal and are certainly not features I would use everyday.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how much I hate Apple and iOS for their ungodly restrictions and policies, but it's really needless to say that any iPhone is better put together than any Droid phones out there.
If iOS removes their stupid restrictions and be open like Android, then all other OS will self destruct themselves from market, like few years back Symbian was the king without any competitor.

true iOS is restricted...but at this point its no more than the ICS release of android...and no matter what they open up or even open up there phone and spill the parts...there are so few features and functionality that it wont matter...earlier the only selling point of iOS i could see was that it ran smoother albeit with a lot less to do....but even that has gone away after 4.2.2....so either apple comes up with something revolutionary like they did with the first iphone or its windows vs mac all over again...I always smile for people who still use mac os :) it feels so good that they have to wait for 6 months for even the most popular games....and most of them dont make it to the OS at all...

I don't see apple licencing their p.o.s operating system to anyone because apple is all about control. Apple fanboys like being dominated (!) that is why they consider themselves above all.
Even if apple did allow other manufacturers to use their os - i doubt if it would work. Apple has sued everyone under the sun for ridiculous reasons and there is no self respecting handset manufacturer who would want relations with Apple or infact being told how to design a handset.
On a side note I hate phone which have screens that are larger than 4.3 inches. It makes it pointless and un-pocketable. With the situation such that we shall soon have people roaming around with tablets on their ears impeding their vision - this will cause more accidents.

FRAND patent - my ass. The Obama admin is more concerned about Apple - they are bed mates, after all.

If the Obama admin was more concerned, it could have done a lot more, earlier. Several patents which were misused against Samsung and HTC could have been blocked.

As for Apple - they make great devices but with a locked down OS. Android is more open, but has battery issues. WP has great hardware, but a half baked OS. In short, we dont have a winner - just compromises. Just like our govt - UPA is secular, but full of scams. NDA has good people, but is communal. The Third Front is a mix of the remaining.

the thing about android which is helped by the wonderful wonderful community is...you complain about battery life...although I claim that the battery life on my phone would be atleast 150% of any iphone and with a much hungrier system (note vs ip)

Fragmentation is good for the customer, you can get the device you want.

Its the devs that have to deal with it. Ensure their apps can handle any screen size.
Well even the devs dont. They can always (and many do) put a line in the manifest which tells play store which devices it will work. Many of the required apps have 2.2+ restriction. Still many people try find ways around and access apps which is not supposed to be in there, uh, budget (given their cheap/now cheap android compared to still premium iphone).

Interesting so you're saying any android app will run so long as OS is 2.2 or greater.

Just 2.2 is the minimum requirement, nothing higher. In that case people can stick to 4.x and not worry when 5.0 comes out. The apps won't force them to upgrade.

The people who keep talking about only marketing being a reason for Apple's success seem like haters! I've owned an iPhone 4 for 3 years now and don't recall seeing a single Apple commercial on TV, in the print media or other forms of advertising that influenced my decision to buy one. The only reason I picked it over any android device on the market was because it seemed like a better put together product than any Andrioid device out there at the time. I also have had no desire to switch to an Android device or any newer iterations of the iPhone as all the changes seem minimal and are certainly not features I would use everyday.

I too have an iPad at home along with an Android tablet and also iPhone and iPad are two of many development platforms for me at work and based on my own daily experience, there is not a single reason for me why I would prefer the iPad over an Android tablet. I still find those iOS devices utterly lacking and not very useful to me.

Also, Marketing does not equate to TV ads. There are several kinds of marketing strategies and Steve Jobs happened to make use of a lot of them effectively when he was alive. I know many people at work and outside who bought iPhones and iPads and most of them got them not because they thought or felt that they are better put together or because the feature set suits them, but because their friends thought its cool to own an iPhone or iPad and their friends thought so because their friends friends thought its cool. Many of these people don't even use their iPhone's beyond voice calls and texting. A very few use it for email and occasional browsing or casual gaming. Steve Jobs used to do this sort of brain washing to make his audience believe that owning an Apple product is cool just because, often without any realistic qualification of what makes it cool or what makes it a great product. Even lack of features was marketed as a great thing that Apple alone deliberately implemented. Even negative publicity of the competition or of technologies employed by or supported by their competition can be considered a marketing tool. Just look at negative publicity against Flash. Steve Jobs who is no way technically qualified to talk about either Flash or HTML5 did a negative publicity campaign against Flash and many of the things he said as part of it was pure junk. But, as a result of that campaign, there are a lot of people today who are also themselves not technically qualified to talk about either technology, but it doesn't stop them from thinking that supporting flash is uncool. I have come across the most extreme of idiots who thought that iOS is better android because it does not support Flash just because Steve Jobs proclaimed that flash is bad and there are also many in the iOS user community who think HMTL5 is exclusive to iOS without having a clue of what either technology is about. Believe me, a lot of Apple user community is made up of idiots who buy their gadgets mostly for the wrong reasons. There are even many people in US whose sole reason for buying iPhone over other alternatives is their misguided patriotism and their misguided belief that iPhone is an "All American" product made by an All American company, Techies who really understand technology or people who buy products based on their requirements make a very small fraction of this user community.

But then, it was also possible to attract and influence such people into becoming repeat customers mainly because of Steve Jobs charisma. I believe that most of Apples success can be attributed to Steve Jobs. Give him a dead cat and he would be able to sell it off for $500 after detaching its tail and then sell the tail as an additional accessory for another $200.

Apparently, this sort of strategy is not working well enough for Apple any longer now that Jobs is not around, so, that's why we see their desperation for trying to match the features, hardware and price points of their competition. Thankfully for Apple, Tim Cook does not have his head up his ass and he was quick enough to realize that marketing alone is not going to cut it any longer as it did for Steve Jobs. Just look at iOS7 and how many features and concepts it straight off borrowed from all the other mobile OS in existence. Many of these are things that Steve Jobs snickered at past and portrayed as negative aspects, but they are being added to their arsenal nevertheless. Its a great move and a move for the better that its catching up, but, personally I found iOS7 with my limited hands on to be a mess of inconsistencies currently. Maybe, things would get better better in couple more releases.

@Lord Nemesis Which Android tablet do you have?

And, as a developer, isn't developing apps for iOS a more viable choice than Android? Though, cross-development should be the preferred route for maximum audience.

Moreover, Android doesn't have many tablet-optimised apps as of yet; that would make people prefer it over an Android tablet.

Last edited:
Super Rich 20% Middle class 80%
Rich Techies 0.9 % Middle class Techies 99.1 %
Hence Android Market 80% IOS 14% proved ;)

Just FYI, many people do buy iDevices from USA as one can get LIKE-NEW pieces at good prices vis-a-vis new ones.
I myself did that. Got an iPhone 4 16GB with otterbox for 325 USD (when 1 USD was ~50 Rs) in 2011 which is well under the new 8GB selling price of 24K in India and i got my 4S for a great price and that too a 64GB model.
Also there are non iOS devices which are equally expensive.

@Lord Nemesis - Wall of text, bro ;) "Many of these people don't even use their iPhone's beyond voice calls and texting. A very few use it for email and occasional browsing or casual gaming." - I hope you are not implying non-iPhone users do use their phones beyond call/texting. :D

Does it matter ?

What i want to understand is how suffocated are you going to be made to feel if you don't have the latest and greatest OS.
Yes it does matter.
if many but not all(any) apps work on previous version, there is no question of suffocation. Heck some apps even work better on older versions of android.

Back