Graphic Cards AMD HD7XXX Discussion Thread

Merging this thread with HD7XXX Discussion thread.

Edit: Threads merged. Please continue all your discussions related to HD7000 Series on this thread only.
happy19.gif

Well I can tell you that the HD 7870 will be good for atleast 2 years. After that it is solely dependent on what resolution we will be playing and how fast the gaming scenario will move, new engines, more pixels --> larger displays [OR multi-monitor setups going cheap], graphics fidelity et al.

Honestly getting a card with the mentality of ~3 -4 years is good from a financial point of view, not sound if you are gamer who is unwilling to compromise on graphics fidelity OR native resolution settings.

I will throw my cards behind the AMD HD 7870 due to the below reasons --
  • Tight TDP and really good thermals thanks to the 28nm fabrications.
  • Over-clocking makes it surpass the HD 7950 2GB and can even close with the HD 7970 2GB.
  • The best balance of power and pragmatism in my view.

I would love to see this card below the ~20000/- mark where it will be more accessible and I think this price drop will precipitate really fast by the onslaught of the nVidia GTX 660Ti / 670.

These are solely my thoughts pertaining to this family of cards, Cheers!!

Thanks a lot for the in depth explanation
happy19.gif

To play at ultra for a single monitor setup 3 years down you will need 680 quad sli or 7970 quad cf equivalent of today
happy19.gif
besides such a CPU is still yet to be released. topped with 32 GB RAM
happy19.gif

I request everybody to read previous replies I posted

Pretty much each and every prediction of mine came out right with nearly no margin of error, whether price based or performance based. It is time people start doing more research or not question people who have several years of experience, theoretical and practical

For real ? . If one graphic card todays plays the games at ultra , 3 yrs down the line , games would move on so much that we need a quad(4) sli ? . I never thought things are so fast ! .

And for the processors , I dont know much except that in 2013 Haswell is going to come , but dont know how it will compare to the current crop of processors .

32 gb Ram
scared14.gif
, what games use that much ? . I read max you might need is 4gb and for high end games 8 gb , do games need more than that today ? .

Am really asking , hope you dont think that am arguing or being sarcastic
happy19.gif

And for the processors , I dont know much except that in 2013 Haswell is going to come , but dont know how it will compare to the current crop of processors .

The Haswell architecture is a tock in Intel's tick-tock cycle of upgrading architecture, improving the IPC and overall performance via a new architecture with an existing fabrication --> in a tick [for e.g., Ivy-Bridge case the tock brought a shrinking in the fabrication process and no architecture improvement].

Am really asking , hope you dont think that am arguing or being sarcastic

Take this with a pinch of salt as if this were the case, then games these days would have been eating ~8 GB RAM on a minimum which is not the case, a lot of factors affect a games performance, listed as follows --
  • The engine utilized for the game, if it supports multi-core processors OR is fine with a dual-core.
  • The genre of game in question, a RTS / RTT game is more CPU and RAM dependent than a corresponding FPS game due to the fact that the number of units on a map / world are more numerous and need to be constantly fed with fresh data depending on their disposition and status. This is not the case in most FPS as they simply have a logic based AI engine that is responsible for a set number of bots in the game. Also in a RTS game the situation is always shifting [no 2 strategy scenarios will play out the exact same way].
  • How heavy the graphics are and whether it is a PC direct release OR ported from a console.

All the above factors come into play when you are talking about how a game performs in real-time.

Hope this explains the scenario and clears your doubts Sire. Cheers!!

The 78xx cards are available only online. I'm waiting for it to arrive at a store, can't take risk with a ~20k buy. Which edition of 7870/7850 is recommended? Sapphire/MSI/EVGA etc....?

The 78xx cards are available only online. I'm waiting for it to arrive at a store, can't take risk with a ~20k buy. Which edition of 7870/7850 is recommended? Sapphire/MSI/EVGA etc....?

eVGA doesn't release AMD cards, they are exclusive to nVidia.

Sapphire / HIS are the top two contenders [they are the original board members for AMD] after these companies release come brands --> MSi, Gigabyte, ASUS.

In Sapphire look out for the TOXIC Edition cards and from HIS look for the IceQ Edition offerings. MSi has the Twin Frozr line and for ASUS look at the DIRECT CU / CU II edition cards.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Why not get the better GTX 570 at 20k instead of the 7870 at 22k ??

You are wrong there Sire, the GTX 570 is matched easily by the AMD HD 7870 --> http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=518, once you remove the chocks of the card you can over-clock the card and get the performance of the HD 7950 2GB [in gaming terms] pretty easily. Added bonuses are --
  • Lower temperatures and improved TDP.
  • A 28nm fabrication process.
  • GCN -- beats nVidia Fermi at Compute, lets hope AMD drivers deliver.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

The 78xx cards are available only online. I'm waiting for it to arrive at a store, can't take risk with a ~20k buy-

blkrb0t

what the problem online?

The 78xx cards are available only online. I'm waiting for it to arrive at a store, can't take risk with a ~20k buy-

blkrb0t

what the problem online?
many people get satisfaction by dealing inhand where as after few initial months it all comes to service center in case of any problem

personally i dont buy any HIS cards as my city dont have a service center

bit off topic but who handles HIS warranty or if any one know if its available in lucknow

Why not get the better GTX 570 at 20k instead of the 7870 at 22k ??

You're suggesting me a previous generation card over a new one? As ALPHA17 pointed out, the advantages of AMD far outweigh those of nVidia, at least for this generation. And I also need good OpenGL performance, something which nVidia cards lack.

I am guessing any cuts will need to filter through to 78xx as well... any ideas ? Where did the original news come from ?

Original news piece I think was on Techpowerup forums, and a quick search on pricegrabber, shows that a Diamond variant on Amazon retails for $480!..I guess the other vendors will have follow suite.

Back