Graphic Cards AMD HD7XXX Discussion Thread

Since I have been waiting for a 16k card for 6 months now, the interest on that amount itself will cover till 17k, so I am game the moment it lands...
<

Hardwire.in has them overpriced and they show it as reduced price, better wait for listing by a more reasonable vendor.

7850 is going to be highest sellling gfx in next 5-6 months..once nvidia release the kepler midrange series price will settle down..I am hoping for 12-13k as a perfect sweetspot

Actually the new cards i.e 7770/7850/7870 dont ask for an upgrade from our existing cards like 6850/6870/6950. Practically the only difference I find is power consumption. For me, a 7850 is nothing more than 6950 except for power consumption and architecture. Many benchmarks show 7850 performs equal to or in some tests lesser than 6950. So whats the point in upgrading to a new card when the previous generation is capable of giving the same performance and at the same price(may be less). If 7850 would have been atleast 15 to 20% faster than 6950 and at the same price then a upgrade was worth which is not the case. But IMO these manufacturers should bring something better compared to previous gens cards at the same price point rather than just playing with the naming schemes.

Actually the new cards i.e 7770/7850/7870 dont ask for an upgrade from our existing cards like 6850/6870/6950. Practically the only difference I find is power consumption. For me, a 7850 is nothing more than 6950 except for power consumption and architecture. Many benchmarks show 7850 performs equal to or in some tests lesser than 6950. So whats the point in upgrading to a new card when the previous generation is capable of giving the same performance and at the same price(may be less). If 7850 would have been atleast 15 to 20% faster than 6950 and at the same price then a upgrade was worth which is not the case. But IMO these manufacturers should bring something better compared to previous gens cards at the same price point rather than just playing with the naming schemes.

Isnt it the same always?? Just a generation upgrade will not bring much onto the table but if u are coming from 2 or more generations behind, it is a worthy upgrade. In my case, I have a 5850, dont you think 7850 is going to be a VFM upgrade for me??

#[member='chiragsthakur'] I don't understand your logic at all. AMD/nVidia don't make cards and release new ones every year so that you can go and keep upgrading your rig. You are happy with your setup, fine. But for those who are looking to upgrade after 3 years or building a new system, these new cards are the best bet. No one will buy a 6950, when there's a choice of going for 7850.

#[member='chiragsthakur'] I don't understand your logic at all. AMD/nVidia don't make cards and release new ones every year so that you can go and keep upgrading your rig. You are happy with your setup, fine. But for those who are looking to upgrade after 3 years or building a new system, these new cards are the best bet. No one will buy a 6950, when there's a choice of going for 7850.

#blkrb0t what #[member='chiragsthakur'] said is valid. But thats always the case on any new releases as I had already mentioned. For a person going to upgrade from a lower lvl than the 6xxx series, its a worthy upgrade. And for a new rig setup, its obvious too.

Bro, thats why I have mentioned 6xxx series as a reference. Its but obvious that guys with 5xxx series will find 7xxx a worthy upgrade. My point was about previous gen cards. And wasn't a 6950 worthy upgrade for 5850?? Yes it was definitely. But then a marginal performance increase with almost same or higher price tag doesn't justify the release of cards evry year. Rather they should wait for 2 years and come out with a card which is about 30% faster than previous ones and at the same price.

Those are purely my views.
Isnt it the same always?? Just a generation upgrade will not bring much onto the table but if u are coming from 2 or more generations behind, it is a worthy upgrade. In my case, I have a 5850, dont you think 7850 is going to be a VFM upgrade for me??

Dont they release cards after every one year or so??
happy19.gif
Well, they do. You will understand my logic if you compare those cards with previous gen ones and not with cards which are 2 to 3 gens old.

Bro, thats why I have mentioned 6xxx series as a reference. Its but obvious that guys with 5xxx series will find 7xxx a worthy upgrade. My point was about previous gen cards. And wasn't a 6950 worthy upgrade for 5850?? Yes it was definitely. But then a marginal performance increase with almost same or higher price tag doesn't justify the release of cards evry year. Rather they should wait for 2 years and come out with a card which is about 30% faster than previous ones and at the same price.

Those are purely my views.

Dont they release cards after every one year or so??
happy19.gif
Well, they do. You will understand my logic if you compare those cards with previous gen ones and not with cards which are 2 to 3 gens old.

How do you sustain the sales then? If nVidia releases a card now, AMD can't put off their card till next year. Same goes vice-versa. The technology keeps changing and the one to adopt to current market demand the fastest will be the winner. You have to look the advancement of GPUs as a whole, not just generation to generation. Apart from the new chips based on 28nm manufacturing process, they also offer lower power draw for almost the same or in most of the cases a higher performance compared to previous generation. Isn't that a reason enough to release the cards, or you would wait until the next year and have the previous generation itself till then? They'll lose the market to the other competitor while having no gains whatsoever, hence they need to keep updating their product lineup.

You are talking from manufacturers point of view & I am talking from customers point of view. I dont give a damn to what manufacturers do for their profit in this market, what I care is about my pocket and the returns I get by investing such huge amounts for paltry performance rise every year or two.
They'll lose the market to the other competitor while having no gains whatsoever, hence they need to keep updating their product lineup.

You are talking from manufacturers point of view & I am talking from customers point of view. I dont give a damn to what manufacturers do for their profit in this market, what I care is about my pocket and the returns I get by investing such huge amounts for paltry performance rise every year or two.

I get it, we get psychologically frustrated seeing our high end card being superseded in a few months time, in spite of the fact that our card still performs almost the same in most of the apps/games. But the manufacturers are the ones who're releasing the cards, they're looking at a way to sustain sales, not satisfy the one who bought their card for the next two years before releasing another card.

Back on the topic, so there is the MSI TF2 7870 for 22.1k (@SMC) and the Sapphire 7850 for 17.2k (@ hardwire.in) ... obviously the 7870 is offering excellent VFM with the pricing, but that VFM is still 5k more expensive... by when do you guys expect a 16k pricing for a 7850 card and would you rather the 7850 or the 7870 for max bang for the buck in that range....?

Back on the topic, so there is the MSI TF2 7870 for 22.1k (@SMC) and the Sapphire 7850 for 17.2k (@ hardwire.in) ... obviously the 7870 is offering excellent VFM with the pricing, but that VFM is still 5k more expensive... by when do you guys expect a 16k pricing for a 7850 card and would you rather the 7850 or the 7870 for max bang for the buck in that range....?

I am desperately looking for a 7870, cant seem to find one, the one listed on SMC's site no longer exists.

so what would most guys go for ? . please share , which would be adequate to play most games at ultra for 3-4 yrs for a single monitor setup ?

Well I can tell you that the HD 7870 will be good for atleast 2 years. After that it is solely dependent on what resolution we will be playing and how fast the gaming scenario will move, new engines, more pixels --> larger displays [OR multi-monitor setups going cheap], graphics fidelity et al.

Honestly getting a card with the mentality of ~3 -4 years is good from a financial point of view, not sound if you are gamer who is unwilling to compromise on graphics fidelity OR native resolution settings.

I will throw my cards behind the AMD HD 7870 due to the below reasons --
  • Tight TDP and really good thermals thanks to the 28nm fabrications.
  • Over-clocking makes it surpass the HD 7950 2GB and can even close with the HD 7970 2GB.
  • The best balance of power and pragmatism in my view.

I would love to see this card below the ~20000/- mark where it will be more accessible and I think this price drop will precipitate really fast by the onslaught of the nVidia GTX 660Ti / 670.

These are solely my thoughts pertaining to this family of cards, Cheers!!

To play at ultra for a single monitor setup 3 years down you will need 680 quad sli or 7970 quad cf equivalent of today
<
besides such a CPU is still yet to be released. topped with 32 GB RAM
<

I request everybody to read previous replies I posted

Pretty much each and every prediction of mine came out right with nearly no margin of error, whether price based or performance based. It is time people start doing more research or not question people who have several years of experience, theoretical and practical

Back