A mighty event at work - UPDATED!

The washroom and toilet: small but serves its purpose:
wp20130118.jpg
Did you take a dump in there? how does it feel?

Did you take a dump in there? how does it feel?

Yep! During the trials we did. Well, it feels like any other toilet.

Oh btw, those are vacuum toilets.

- - - Updated - - -

On topic: How much does this kind of ship cost ? I mean you people would have probably built and sold it right ?

I haven't seen the official document but I was old it was somewhere close to 350 Cr.

is the propeller coated or made of titanium?
btw, nice ship. And where are the cranes? its a cargo vessel right?

Edit: lol, forgot i had asked the same question few pages back. its copper nickel alloy.

Re: A mighty event at work!

Those rails are huge. Where did that huge yellow pile of steel on which the ship was resting disappear? Did it get submerged?

It's still tied down to the ship. It's submerged below the ship.

So you designed the rooms and all. Where is the game room with the recliner seat for the captain? :|

:rolleyes:

I wish there was one. There is just a recreation room and the displays are supposed to be supplied and installed by the client himself so we did not bother with these. :p

On a related note (since you mentioned recliner), we have 2 pilot chairs on the wheelhouse where the Captain would be sitting most of the time during the day accompanied by another officer. This pilot chair is super comfortable with so many degrees of freedom for different components such as the head-rest, arm-rests, foot-rest, the back being able to recline by 180', the whole seat can move back and forth or sideways and so forth. Super comfortable during navigation.

In ocean liners, these pilot chairs have a minidisplay with a mouse and a joystick with few controls mounted on the armrests, enabling the user to operate the console! :O

Epic stuff gannu. Congrats. Dont know how come i missed this thread?
So i guess hajira port make ships and alang port demolish it. Am i right ?

OMG I want one too with my G27 steering wheel mounted.

:blackalien:

Epic stuff gannu. Congrats. Dont know how come i missed this thread?
So i guess hajira port make ships and alang port demolish it. Am i right ?

Yeah that's right. Besides, Alang is also considered to be one of the world's largest ship breaking yards.

Just zoom in a bit and check out the ships on the shore of Alang!

Alang

The world's largest ship (Jahre Viking) was also scrapped here. A short video with Jeremey Clarkson onboard is here. Watch it:

all those black streaks is pollution caused by motor oil, crude etc right? place seems highly polluted. those oils seems to sunk to bottom of ocean.
pollutionf.jpg

all those black streaks is pollution caused by motor oil, crude etc right? place seems highly polluted. those oils seems to sunk to bottom of ocean.
pollutionf.jpg

Yes. Remember the French aircraft carrier Clemenceau which was supposed to be scrapped here? It was laden with tonnes of asbestos! Luckily it was scrapped in some yard in UK.

Those are oil slicks you see there leaking from the ship's tanks.

this may be a wild guess on my part. but from my memory of a NGC HD or Discovery HD programme, these guys just take a hammer or oxy-acetalene cutter to ship to break it apart. Most are day labourers & dont have any safety equipment like safety shoes, safety glasses for eyes, etc. seen some small kids playing around in dangerous places too. frigging companies exploit these people and must be making millions from scrapping the ships.

this may be a wild guess on my part. but from my memory of a NGC HD or Discovery HD programme, these guys just take a hammer or oxy-acetalene cutter to ship to break it apart. Most are day labourers & dont have any safety equipment like safety shoes, safety glasses for eyes, etc. seen some small kids playing around in dangerous places too. frigging companies exploit these people and must be making millions from scrapping the ships.

Yep, that was true sometime back. But now I believe some Jap. company has started a tie-up for breaking down these ships with proper safety harness and equipment in place. Dangerous stuff man. Imagine breaking down these behemoths without proper gear! Death lurks everywhere.

I recall I almost fell down into a tank while descending a ladder (generally ladders greater than 3m in length have a cage around it so the person can rest if he becomes too tired; this cage was not erected then). Slipped and luckily thanks to my safety shoes' grip, my second leg rested on a ladder rung; otherwise I would have fell flat on the steel deck 5m below! Reported the incident to the safety guys and they erected cages everywhere on the ship, wherever necessary the next day.

Back