A mighty event at work - UPDATED!

Re: A mighty event at work!

Gannu said:
The only thing that scares me is the floods during monsoon season. :fear:

Look who's talking- he who helps build ships!! :lol: I am sure you can build yourself a boat at least. :bleh:

Your ships float na? :p

Gannu said:
You may tell that to my boss. :bleh:

PS: just got a day's off approved for November 1st week for Uncharted 3 wOOt! :eek:hyeah:

:chair: :p

Gannu said:
I think almost all of us do. More than just work where half of my day is spent, I love being at Surat - good friends and folks around, a very supportive and dedicated boss, ...

It's not very difficult to find a job that pays well and work is good but finding great bosses is a different matter.

Good and supportive bosses and good friends around to help you unwind during the weekend are what ensure that one stays put at their place of employment. :thumb:

Its Pneumatic Cylinders used for Automation, i.e closing,pushing, opening stuff, depending on the application and need

Used right from Iron and Steel, Cement, Auto, Technology to food industry.

Pneumatic cylinder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Product example FESTO, Janatics, Aira etc.

We also deal in Pneumatic Pavement Breakers/Impact Wrenches i.e Chicago Pneumatics & Airless Spray Equipments i.e Graco/V R Coating etc

Gannu said:
You may tell that to my boss. :bleh:

PS: just got a day's off approved for November 1st week for Uncharted 3 wOOt! :eek:hyeah:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I think almost all of us do. More than just work where half of my day is spent, I love being at Surat - good friends and folks around, a very supportive and dedicated boss, Mumbai/Pune is close-by with our TE regulars put up there. All the more a good reason to settle down here. :)

The only thing that scares me is the floods during monsoon season. :fear:

You don't get good non-veg food there in the dry state. :bleh:

viralbug said:

Says who? Kwality Restaurant - enough said. The Nawabi Chicken is to die for! Plus the big beer ice cream - Abhi and Doc can vouch for this!

I could've taken you guys for the big beer but the plans delayed. I had even told Bikey we'll go, but it was already 10 when we left my home during the meet.

What we don't have here are 2 things - booze (cheap!) and a KFC outlet. One may soon come up now that there are huge malls being built. PVR cinemas have come - 50 bucks for a ticket introductory offer. Now beat that! :bleh:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Your ships float na? :p

I guess so. :p

BIKeINSTEIN said:
It's not very difficult to find a job that pays well and work is good but finding great bosses is a different matter.

Good and supportive bosses and good friends around to help you unwind during the weekend are what ensure that one stays put at their place of employment. :thumb:

Couldn't put it better Rishi! :)

Yeah yeah blah blah. What about chicks? :eek:hyeah:

But I guess that point should be invalid for you anyways. :p

viralbug said:

You are seriously mistaken for non veg food here. If you can spare 2/3 days will take you to the tour of streetfood of the city, and you will want to come back again and again.

There is a proverb in Hinduism "Surat`s food and Kashi`s death are considered holy". :bleh:

Even though I am a veggie, I have few friends who are non-vegan and have accompanied them to wonderful places (In their terms) for food.

6pack said:
visuals development = advertisement?
what the heck is a visuals creating device? a camera?

Ehh... I was thinking of GFX subsystem development when i wrote that. :S.

Nope. not kinect.

Whoaa, I only just came across this when already 6 pages of comments have been posted!

I'm a marine engineer working on these kind of cargo vessels.
The ships that I sail on, are owned by a Canadian company.

The accommodation on the forward looks like a new design as I've never seen that on a cargo vessel.

Gannu you're right about the sea sickness thing as I myself usually puke out all kinds of shit when the weather gets rough, not to mention the headache and nausea :(
We get rolls of like 35 degrees in places such as Bay of Biscay, Atlantic ocean (during winters) and even Indian ocean (during monsoon) :O
But I've never seen anyone vomiting blood.

I'm mostly there in the Engine Room where the average temperature in tropical countries is like 40-45 degrees Celsius while running.

Here are some the pics of my last vessel:

[attachment=9327:15984.attach]
PS: The last pic is from a dry docking at Chengxi Shipyard in Jiangyin City, China.

Attachments

• DSC05729 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    DSC05729 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 99
  • P1000587 (NXPowerLite).jpg
    P1000587 (NXPowerLite).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC01326 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    DSC01326 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 113

^Finally we have a marine engineer onboard! I respect you guys totally. :)

Dude, share some good stuff. What vessel were you on your last voyage? Those snaps looks like a bulk carrier to me. Why was she dry-docked? What cargo was carried?

Now I can figure out why you had thread wherein you wanted to store your PS3 for a long time. :p

very interesting.. wanted to ask.. is she also equipped with bow thrusters?

Gannu said:
^Finally we have a marine engineer onboard! I respect you guys totally. :)

Dude, share some good stuff. What vessel were you on your last voyage? Those snaps looks like a bulk carrier to me. Why was she dry-docked? What cargo was carried?

Now I can figure out why you had thread wherein you wanted to store your PS3 for a long time. :p

Those pics are of my last vessel only.
She was called Federal Rideau and yes a bulk carrier, 36k GT, 200m long.
We carried all sorts of dry cargo in bulk but primarily coal, wheat, fertilizers, and sometimes steel in various forms.

I sailed on it for around 7 months and it was dry docked during my tenure at Chengxi Shipyard in Jiangyin, China as I mentioned.
Those Chinese work very fast but the quality of work is not as good.

There was no fixed route for it but mostly we were sailing in The Great Lakes in US and Canada with an odd trip or two to South America or Europe.
During winters those lakes usually get frozen so then the route changed to countries like Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, and some other European ports.

Yes, I've to keep my PS3 and Xbox360 packed for months at a stretch while I'm away :(
I was looking for a portable gaming solution, may be I'll get a good gaming laptop :)

^^

What does that HUGE "H" signify..?

Also in this image:

dsc02387.jpg

Why is there such a huge gap at the end...meaning where there is a pillar type thing running horizontally down and next to is the propeller. Looks weird to me.

asingh said:
^^

What does that HUGE "H" signify..?

Also in this image:

attachment.php

Why is there such a huge gap at the end...meaning where there is a pillar type thing running horizontally down and next to is the propeller. Looks weird to me.

Stalker is correct.

The helipad is sometimes used to drop off/on pilots (shore based persons who help to steer the ship in narrow channels, etc).

The pillar is the rudder :)

Gannu said:
Dude, why was the ship dry docked? What repairs had to be carried out?

Actually every 5 years 2 dry docks are mandatory for all ships as per IMO regulations.
So it was just a routine dry dock.

The work included shell cleaning and painting, checks on rudder, propeller, bow thruster and other routine machinery maintenance.
Two new installations were done in the Engine Room including a purifier and a huge fuel filter.
Everything took around 20 days.

Update! :p

Our ship was finally delivered yesterday. All the formalities were completed and she will set sail to Singapore, where she shall be dry docked for 2 weeks to clean the underwater hull and a fresh coat of paint shall be applied. Some minor works shall also be attended to. After that she will sail to China where the cranes shall be outfitted at the Guangzhou Shipyard.

Her sea-trials went super smooth and there were some pending works which were completed within 2 weeks. I was fortunate to be a part of the sea trial crew and was onboard the ship in the Arabian Sea. The trials lasted 3 days and several tests were carried out. After the third day, she was anchored. After a point, we were getting frustrated (no land around, no communication, no internet, no chicks = HELL!) so the crew were shuttling between the yard and the ship on small tugs.

I have managed to click a few snaps and a video. Some of you may have already seen them on my FB uploads. :p Feel free to ask anything.

At anchorage:
p1060449.jpg

Yours truly on the tug:
img065rvr.jpg

From a distance:
wp2013ofo.jpg

wp2013hdh.jpg

Sunset from top of the bridge:
wp2013ooo.jpg

Inside the ship's engine room (the sea-green colored equipment on the left is one of the main DGs):
wp20130117.jpg

Another shot which shows the second DG as well:
wp2013lol.jpg

The HFO (heavy fuel oil), LO (lube oil) and MDO (marine diesel oil) separators to remove the dirt and impurities:
wp2013qwq.jpg

The main engine which is the single most expensive component inside the ship and the most heaviest as well weighing at 125000 kg. Spans over three floors:
wp20130211.jpg

The piston of the engine (measures 460 mm outer diameter; that's roughly half a meter!):
5488091015.jpg

The engine control room (ECR in short); things are still a bit messy before we left. That is the main switchboard (MSB) to the right:
wp20130103.jpg

The rear side of the MSB (messy like I said before):
wp2013vyv.jpg

Her mess room; the crew have their daily meals here (I have designed the layouts inside these cabins. Essentially anything and everything that goes into the living quarters including choosing the colors of the furniture, upholstery, curtains, carpets etc. :p):
wp2013fsf.jpg

The Chief Engineer's day room (that door towards the right leads to his bedroom which has a double-bed, a cupboards and the modular washroom -toilet):
5487721015.jpg

The washroom and toilet: small but serves its purpose:
wp20130118.jpg

The Captain's day room:
wp2013sws.jpg

The cold chamber (this is the veg. room which is maintained at 3'C; there's a similar meat room which has an operating temperature of -21'C):
wp2013ucu.jpg

[video=vimeo;61330972]https://vimeo.com/61330972[/video]

Well, that's about it I guess. This is the third ship we've built and delivered. Plenty more to go. Good times ahead.

OT: I want to go on a cruise ship once. Hope i get a chance.

On topic: How much does this kind of ship cost ? I mean you people would have probably built and sold it right ?

Back