A mighty event at work - UPDATED!

Re: A mighty event at work!

Very sorry doc! :( I thought of calling you and Abhi, but knew you were busy with consultation and the other lame ass would be sleeping/tinkering with his cam.

Hazira being slightly far from the city, you guys may not be in a position to drive down during afternoon.

The mail came in the morn around 9 AM. Last time it was sent 2 days prior to the launching but no personal invitees were being asked to call.

The Video is awesome , next time something like this happens do post Ganesh will love to see something like that in person :)

Gannu said:
We take her out to Bombay and slightly out of the inland waters and do every possible test, such as unmanned engine room test
Don't take her to Juhu beach.. :p

Gannu said:
@logistopath:You guys are more than welcome to the yard. In fact, the invitation mail had specifically mentioned to call relatives and friends for the event!

Gannu - I'd be really keen if this is possible. Maybe medpal and some other members from Surat can accompany too and we can have a mini-TE meet on the premises.

Renegade said:
Don't take her to Juhu beach.. :p

Damn! :lol:
Kneo said:
Gannu - I'd be really keen if this is possible. Maybe medpal and some other members from Surat can accompany too and we can have a mini-TE meet on the premises.

Will keep you guys posted when we have it next time.

Are you at Surat? IIRC you used to visit here sometime? :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

6pack said:
whats the tonnage?

18860 DWT; at the time of launch she weighed 8000T.

Gannu said:
Are you at Surat? IIRC you used to visit her sometime? :)

Surat's my native place, the place where I went for my vacations during schooling and where my whole family tree is put up :) My folks are staying there and I visit Surat at least 5-6 times a year (maybe more).

Gannu said:
^Next year we will have the other ship which is very similar, ready to be launched. I'll keep you guys posted. And ask HR beforehand, if a massive crowd from my end can be entertained. I don't think there should be any problems either.

A hard hat is just the requirement when you step into the yard as a visitor. :)

I love to wear any hat to visit HER.

This thread is awesome!!
We need more threads like this in GT. What about the other engineers? Dont you guys have anything similar in your field to show?
Dont tell me everyone is in IT :(

We Assemble Hydraulic Hoses... & Pneumatic Automation Cylinder and Valves not much interesting if you dont know know the purchase its supposed to play.

My last company was involved in the "visuals development" of a certain well known much sought after device(several show offs in this forum itself). We were working through another company who is also a certain king pin of "visual creating device"

couldn't believe when i put my eyes on it. :D.

Cant post pics there also. :(,

Kneo said:
Surat's my native place, the place where I went for my vacations during schooling and where my whole family tree is put up :) My folks are staying there and I visit Surat at least 5-6 times a year (maybe more).

I had given you my mobile no. iirc, whenever you land in surat next time buzz us we will sure meet up.

thirumalkumaran said:
We make flight engines (Rolls-Royce)...

But i would be sacked effect immediate if I post anything....

aw. too bad.
m-jeri said:
My last company was involved in the "visuals development" of a certain well known much sought after device(several show offs in this forum itself). We were working through another company who is also a certain king pin of "visual creating device"

couldn't believe when i put my eyes on it. :D.

Cant post pics there also. :(,

visuals development = advertisement?

what the heck is a visuals creating device? a camera?

hmasalia said:
We Assemble Hydraulic Hoses... & Pneumatic Automation Cylinder and Valves not much interesting if you dont know know the purchase its supposed to play.

whats a Pneumatic Automation Cylinder? what is it used for?

:ashamed: tried googling but couldn't find anything on this.

The type of work I do..the output is lame and 100% non-tangible.

:(

Even I do not like to look at it. he he.

I envy you man!You have such a great job!!
I think I have the worst job in this whole forum,the things I get to see everyday are..hundreds of malnourished children living in inhuman condition,in places you see in nightmares.
But at the end of the day..I think I love my job!!

Wow!! That looks spectacular. But, whats with the Hot Dog Stand theme :p ? Oh, just saw that you work for L&T, so I guess the Red/Yellow combo is like the theme colors for L&T?

BTW, I work for L&T too, L&T Infotech :). Obviously, my job is way more boring and way less glamorous than yours. :(

Also, you mentioned that the crew for this ship will consist of ONLY 18 people!! I dont know anything about ships but that number seems surprisingly low. I guess, everything on the ship is automated with very little human intervention required?

pretttt said:
But, whats with the Hot Dog Stand theme :p ? Oh, just saw that you work for L&T, so I guess the Red/Yellow combo is like the theme colors for L&T?

That is the standard set of colors for their fleet of vessels actually. It has nothing to do with L&T. :p

You can check the rest of their fleet here - BigLift Shipping B.V.

pretttt said:
Also, you mentioned that the crew for this ship will consist of ONLY 18 people!! I dont know anything about ships but that number seems surprisingly low. I guess, everything on the ship is automated with very little human intervention required?

That's right 18 crew members that includes the Captain, Chief engineer, Chief officer, Junior engineers x 5, Chef and the remaining crew.

And you thought that was low! Get this - the largest container ship Emma Maersk spanning 397m in length has just 13 crew. :p

Ships are beautiful structures and shipping industry is an interesting field - we get to learn and understand a lot of good stuff. No rocket science either. :D

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Spend more time at work and less at gaming beech!!! :bleh:

You may tell that to my boss. :bleh:

PS: just got a day's off approved for November 1st week for Uncharted 3 wOOt! :eek:hyeah:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

red dragon said:
I think I love my job!!

I think almost all of us do. More than just work where half of my day is spent, I love being at Surat - good friends and folks around, a very supportive and dedicated boss, Mumbai/Pune is close-by with our TE regulars put up there. All the more a good reason to settle down here. :)

The only thing that scares me is the floods during monsoon season. :fear:

Back