ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

Hi Guys,

Was thinking of Dell XCD 35 for a friend.

Would really appreciate, if you guys could help me out.

1. Has the battery heating while charging issue solved with the official Indian 2.2 ROM? [ I suppose it has come?].

2. How is the battery life after flashing official froyo [ friend won't be rooting his phone, so unfortunately no CM7 or MoDaCo or other custom ROM's].

3. Is the screen TFT and RAM 256 MB even now? [ available in India].

4. How is the browsing capabilities of the phone [sans flash]? My friend places a lot of importance on this.

5. What would be the cheapest price of this phone [or online] ? Any online coupon codes that you might know of ?

6. Any other major issues with the stock Indian ROM's that I should be aware of [ other than poor speaker quality ]

Would you still recommend this phone over LG Optimus One P500? [esp. for browsing, as it has a lower HVGA screen.Spice phone costs significantly more, and has even less brand acceptance]

Also, from what I understand no gingerbread updates to come officially to India, right? Sorry, if it sounds a bit noobish, but did go through the last few pages, but couldn't get any solid info regarding the points.

Hrithan2020 said:
Hi Guys,

Was thinking of Dell XCD 35 for a friend.

Would really appreciate, if you guys could help me out.

1. Has the battery heating while charging issue solved with the official Indian 2.2 ROM? [ I suppose it has come?].

2. How is the battery life after flashing official froyo [ friend won't be rooting his phone, so unfortunately no CM7 or MoDaCo or other custom ROM's].

3. Is the screen TFT and RAM 256 MB even now? [ available in India].

4. How is the browsing capabilities of the phone [sans flash]? My friend places a lot of importance on this.

5. What would be the cheapest price of this phone [or online] ? Any online coupon codes that you might know of ?

6. Any other major issues with the stock Indian ROM's that I should be aware of [ other than poor speaker quality ]

Would you still recommend this phone over LG Optimus One P500? [esp. for browsing, as it has a lower HVGA screen.Spice phone costs significantly more, and has even less brand acceptance]

Also, from what I understand no gingerbread updates to come officially to India, right? Sorry, if it sounds a bit noobish, but did go through the last few pages, but couldn't get any solid info regarding the points.

1. I bought my XCD35 in June this year and it came with 2.2 Froyo. The battery did get pretty heated while charging. I'm on CM7 Nightly 165 right now and don't face this problem anymore.

2. Battery life was pretty with the stock ROM, but again I used the stock ROM for only 2-3 days before switching to CM7 Stable version. Battery life didn't improve with this ROM either. My current nightly 165 gives me exceptional battery life when compared to the stock Dell 2.2 ROM.

3. TFT screen, 512 MB RAM. Around 420MB user available RAM.

4. Browsing was pretty okay on the stock ROM. Didn't load a lot of heavy sites on it, though.

5. letsbuy.com , RCOMLB1. I got mine for 9.5k after discount, it should be around 200 bucks cheaper now.

6. Was a little laggy w.r.t. performance and I did face the overheating problem whilst charging as well has playing CPU intensive games.

If your friend won't root/install a custom ROM on it, it's a 50-50 thing. The O1 is slightly better in terms of performance since they use the same processor and the O1 does not have to process the same amount of pixels. And yes, AFAIK it's not getting an official GB update in India.

I am buying an android this week. I decided on Dell XCD35 over the O1 because of the bigger screen. My main use would be browsing and reading. Would like to play a few games like angry birds, fruit ninja etc and watch Youtube videos. Just before I buy the phone I wanted your final word (Letsbuy would not deliver to my place; the retail price at a dell reseller is Rs.10,600). Should I go ahead? I am just wondering if putting in about 2 grand more and getting the Mi 410 would make sense.

Your take please?

Thanks

Btw any news on the Zte Skate's availability? Any other phone you would suggest that has a bigger screen?

Hi,

My xcd35(gen2) purchased in june 2011 developed some probs with charging this month and i had to get it replaced.

Before replacing, I was using CM7.0.3 N122 ..

the replacement unit is a stock gen1 with android 2.1. Now to get back to where I was earlier, how do i go about it.

possible soln: follow the method described at Gen1 to Gen2 TPT upgrade - Android @ MoDaCo.

or any other better/alt soln?

thanks.

setonfire said:
I am buying an android this week. I decided on Dell XCD35 over the O1 because of the bigger screen. My main use would be browsing and reading. Would like to play a few games like angry birds, fruit ninja etc and watch Youtube videos. Just before I buy the phone I wanted your final word (Letsbuy would not deliver to my place; the retail price at a dell reseller is Rs.10,600). Should I go ahead? I am just wondering if putting in about 2 grand more and getting the Mi 410 would make sense.

Your take please?

Thanks

Btw any news on the Zte Skate's availability? Any other phone you would suggest that has a bigger screen?

The Mi 410 definitely makes more sense now. 2k price difference and much better features. It also has a few custom ROMs and official GB support now.

I have GSF Beta 14 on my Blade and it has been long time i have been using it without any issues as such. Now since last one month this phone is not used almost at all and only serves as a dedicated offline GPS unit (drains the battery :( ). I need to know if there is absolutely any reason to shift to latest version of GSF (21 beta i presume) or any other ?

@ raks- I have installed GSF20 on my brothers XCD35; its running pretty stable apart from the Bluetooth not working. I don't think so the battery life changed drastically from GSF14. The new source code is released from ZTE - zte-skate-source-code . So I guess its better off that you will wait a little till its incorporated in CyanogenMod 7 :)

I want to use my ZTE Blade as a dedicated GPS unit. Can anyone point me to some place where i can get a good car holder (or whatever it is called). They should ship to USA.

Cheaper the better.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

How is this one ??

ZTE Blade V880 San Francisco Car Mount Holder + Charger | eBay

Note sure if it can do landscape too, it should ideally, has a charger too.

Any deal on dealextreme / focal price ?

I would prefer a dashboard mount rather than a windshield mount.

I am guessing that below mentioned two links will service my purpose right ?

I need a dashboard mount phone holder and also require a car cigarette lighter charger for the phone (you know how much the GPS will suck the battery)

Holder -> Car Windshield Mini Holder Swivel Mount for Cell Phone (5.0~7.5cm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Charger -> Car Cigarette Lighter Powered Charger for HTC Incredible S/Desire Z/S710E - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I am guessing the charger will work fine with ZTE Blade and for that matter a Nokia C5 too.

Finally bought the below two....

Car Holder -> eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Car Charger (no car yet :( ) -> eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

All under 5$ :)

Julian said:
LOL! What car you planning anyway to suit the blade ?

Any thing which fits my very very miniscule budget :)

Btw have any one tried that app which was in news, something which would allow us to have multiple ROMs on a single phone switch between them easily. I don't remember the name of app, so if anyone has tried on blade or any other android device, please let me know.

raksrules said:
Btw have any one tried that app which was in news, something which would allow us to have multiple ROMs on a single phone switch between them easily. I don't remember the name of app, so if anyone has tried on blade or any other android device, please let me know.

There is such an app? I thought it would be to use cwm to backup the first rom with all apps etc. then install then next rom and apps, then use cwm to restore whichever rom is needed.

Last day i did a repartitioning of the phone memory . In the process I lost the dell splash and possibly the dell bootloader .Is there anyway I can restore them ? I have the ROM Manager backup of the Stock Froyo ROM that came along with it . restoring that backup gives me the stable 2.2 ROM but not the bootloader splash nor the booloader . Just want to know this as if an event of claiming warranty comes a dell logo at booting will be helpful :) .

Is the Dell XCD35 the best buy for a budget of 10k?

My only other option is the Optimus P500 as I couldn't find the Acer Liquid Mini @ 10k anywhere.

RD274 said:
Is the Dell XCD35 the best buy for a budget of 10k?

My only other option is the Optimus P500 as I couldn't find the Acer Liquid Mini @ 10k anywhere.

I am exactly in a same boat & i am more inclined toward Dell XCD35 but O1 can be upgraded to 2.3 android without loosing its warranty & also Optimus Net is coming soon with better processor so if you can wait then wait till next month, it might get launched till diwali & about Acer Liquid mini, i heard almost all user comments in negative for this cell that's why i kept it away from my option list, almost everyone is regretting buying that cell..lol :p

Guys I am sick of CM7 Green (V5). Phone has become slower, mebbe because of Go Contacts. Which is a good ROM to switch too. GSF??

Also anyone know of a good T9 based dialer (that searches numbers and names as you type). Go Dialer/Contacts seems to be the pits. Very Buggy.

Back