ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread

dafreaking said:
Guys I am sick of CM7 Green (V5). Phone has become slower, mebbe because of Go Contacts. Which is a good ROM to switch too. GSF??

Also anyone know of a good T9 based dialer (that searches numbers and names as you type). Go Dialer/Contacts seems to be the pits. Very Buggy.

I'm on CM7 Nightly 168 and very happy with this ROM. I get exceptional standby backup time with this ROM and lose only 3-4% overnight with data on. Haven't tried GSF yet since its creator himself says that the latest nightlies of CM7 are better than GSF.

As for the dialer, I use the one which comes with Contapps. It used to be slow, but after an update the whole interface has improved considerably. You can also try Dialer One if you only need a standalone dialer.

pageisgod85 said:
Haven't tried GSF yet since its creator himself says that the latest nightlies of CM7 are better than GSF.

Whaaaat ??!! wbaw actually said that? Linky please, i have to see this for myself! :D

Julian said:
Whaaaat ??!! wbaw actually said that? Linky please, i have to see this for myself! :D

Here's one of his rants

CM7 is pretty stable now, they can't easily fix the wifi bug without this new kernel (which they should get next month), battery life is fine if you charge every night, it'll easily get through a day & that will improve too, once they get the new kernel. Apart from wifi, battery life, very rare gps reboots & the occasional nightly build bugs CM7 is more stable than this rom. This rom just has different bugs & most of them are worse. It's not usually the added features that cause any of the bugs in CM7, they might add a little bit to the battery drain but that's all. More often it's to do with CM7 supporting a lot of different devices, sometimes a patch for one will break things on other devices.

The notification led only flashes twice or something, then dies during sleep on this rom, exact same behaviour as CM7 currently has, but the CM7 team are likely to fix it again (so the led stays on during sleep), whereas I can't fix that. The notification led can't flash during sleep on the blade, it's either on or off. If your notification led is flashing, then your phone isn't asleep.

Most of the extra features in CM7 are pretty useful, different people have asked me to include every extra CM7 feature in this rom, several times. I added what I could add easily.

Once the new kernel source is out & used in CM7 it should be pretty rock solid. I'll probably submit a few patches to CM7 too, similar to the tweaks I made to this rom to improve battery life & performance (a little).

This rom is only better than CM7 if you need the wifi to stay connected, or if you need the extra battery life. Soon CM7 will have that too & then this rom will be totally pointless.

Check the entire conversation here:

[ROM][Gen2][ZTE-Gingerbread] Ginger Stir Fry - Android @ MoDaCo - Page 164

Awesome!! I wanna install one last stable ROM by the end of the month before buying an SGSII by Nov.

PS. Using Dialer One now. Seems better than Go Contacts so far.

not too bad sound quality....it's decent..... i am using one from 4 months..........now planning to buy one more for my bro since recent price drop :)

Damn! Price of the XCD35/Blade has dropped by 2k? :O 7.7k with RCOMLB1 at Letsbuy. It annihilates other phones in the competition. Why would anybody go for the Micromax A70 or the Optimus One now?

It seems whatever new phones may come, the Blade / Dell XCD 35 still remains the king in the sub 10K segment. Glad i got the Blade, my primary phone...oops now my primary GPS unit :)

^^Highly dependent on the usage. Just ensure that don't keep data ON entire day if not needed. Also if you (or your friend) is social networking buff and needs constant twitter / FB connectivity then it is suggested that the sync is set to an hour or so. Try to not install apps like Yahoo mail since they dont read those sync settings and are constantly trying to get mails from server (at least i did not find any way for it to stop).
Also depends on the ROM used (incase he decides to get his hands dirty).
Also i suggest uninstall / freeze (using titanium backup ahem) the google latitude as it tends to drain battery.

There are apps like juice defender etc but their concept is same that it autoshutoffs things but if you are personally careful then no need of any such apps.

In addition to whatever Raksrules said, I've found that ROMs are the biggest factor. My battery life has gone from horrible (stock ROM) to decent (CM7 stable) to pretty good (CM7 nightly 168). I lose merely 1-2% charge overnight these days. Even with data on, I lose around 3-4% in 8 hours. I have at least 5-6 widgets and apps which are scheduled for hourly updates. So all in all, I'm currently very happy with the battery life of my phone and the biggest reason behind this is the custom ROM I'm using.

Yeah, the community is divided amongst GSF and CM7. I prefer the latter, but from what I've heard, GSF has its own advantages as well. Warranty will be void once you root your phone, but there are ways to get back to stock ROM in case you have to return the phone to the service center.

Ok, I've bought an Amzer scratchgaurd for the Omnia i900 as I heard it's a pretty close fit. What about cases? I remember reading somwhere earlier in the thread that the nokia E71 case fits. Anyone tried it? Are there other options?

Back