Worklog : The Wooden Home Server

So far so good; :)

Anish, those foams wont result in heat buildup within the enclosure right???

And WTH bearing is in that Enermax fan??:S

And isnt that foam, sponge in actual???

A bearing is designed to reduce friction between moving parts. Ball bearings do this by letting the parts roll on balls between the two parts, like wheels on a car letting the car roll forward without dragging on the ground. Sleeve bearings achieve the same thing by using a liquid between the two parts instead of solid balls — usually some kind of oil. This is like putting soap and water on a plastic sheet in the summer so you and your kids can slide down a hill.

Neither of these two examples apply to the Enlobal bearing, which uses a magnetic field in place of balls or oil. The Enlobal bearing is like a maglev train, in which the train is suspended on a magnetic cushion above the track, with only air between the two. Thus, friction between the moving parts is greatly reduced, since most of the time they are only in contact with the air, not each other. (That said, it is worth pointing out that at least one SPCR user has found that oiling the Enlobal bearing improved both vibration and noise dramatically).

SPCR's Fan Roundup #4: 120mm Fans II | silentpcreview.com

basically maglev.. just like the sunons.

gannu said:
So far so good; :)

Anish, those foams wont result in heat buildup within the enclosure right???

And WTH bearing is in that Enermax fan??:S

And isnt that foam, sponge in actual???
Yeah that's sponge/foam whatever you call it. Got it from the upholstery guy. Its what is filled into you sofas. Serves me 2 purposes, make everything soft and cushions my components, plus serves as a damping and noise reduction kit.

As stalker said, the Enermax has maglev bearings. Picked this fan cause its basically ridiculously quite and moves a decent amount of air.

More pics! :)

The inside after everything has been mounted.

Rear:

This one's for Greasemonk. You'll now figure why I'm going for the brushed chrome finish ;)

1080p to the Hitachi :D

Sorry for the grainy pictures, will shoot some better ones with my other cam once its fully done.

wow looks awesome ..just waiting to see the chrome finish ..its gonna look totally kewl !!

how have u kept the hard disks in place ?? err whats that black clip sort of thing uve used ?

by the way that hitachi screen looks magnificent ..which model is it ?

and yeah congrats ! enjoy ! :).

Good stuff man! Looks a little bigger than i thought it would along with the rest of the stuff though. Ordered the brushed alu film for the box yet?

FaH33m said:
how have u kept the hard disks in place ?? err whats that black clip sort of thing uve used ?
Oh sorry! Was supposed to post this. Their rubber clips with screw, got them from NE thru KMD.

Check it out :

Anish said:
Oh sorry! Was supposed to post this. Their rubber clips with screw, got them from NE thru KMD.

Check it out :

Can u please post the link from Ne & the damage ...like those ....

The chrome look is a good choice considering the overall look...please post links for the purchase ....i guess u are purchasing it locally...Also Purchase the Crome Screwless Screws for the external additions & the Power & Reset Switch.... BTW the Foam will increase heat buildup....Are u ready for it...I tried it once & noticed a 3 % increase in overall temp in my AMD 4500+
A nice one ...waiting for U to finish Delivering Ur Baby...:clap:

ArZuNeOs said:
The chrome look is a good choice considering the overall look...please post links for the purchase ....i guess u are purchasing it locally...Also Purchase the Crome Screwless Screws for the external additions & the Power & Reset Switch.... BTW the Foam will increase heat buildup....Are u ready for it...I tried it once & noticed a 3 % increase in overall temp in my AMD 4500+
A nice one ...waiting for U to finish Delivering Ur Baby...:clap:
Here's the link :
Newegg.com - KINGWIN HDS-201 2.5" & 3.5" Hard Drive Stand - HDD Accessories

I don't really need a power/reset switch, the good old short-circuit with the screwdriver is good enuf for me!

As for the foam, it might increase temps slightly but the rig is as SILENT as a windless night :)

@ x86 - Thanks mate!

Damn it Anish;

I've already considered a download rig and drew a rough one on paper;

Will be implemented shortly; :)

Anish said:
Here's the link :

Newegg.com - KINGWIN HDS-201 2.5" & 3.5" Hard Drive Stand - HDD Accessories

I don't really need a power/reset switch, the good old short-circuit with the screwdriver is good enuf for me!

As for the foam, it might increase temps slightly but the rig is as SILENT as a windless night :)

@ x86 - Thanks mate!

Ok so u dont need Switches...But just imagine the switches with the Chrome Finish...also maybe others in ur house maynot know the trick....& the switches they can handle...Switches i mean these..in Chrome Finish....

vandalresistantswitchstyl2.jpg

The Amazing Vandal Resistant Switch

This is just freaking amazing !! Never thought this was possible and never thought that someone may be insane enough to do this !!!

Kudos to the innovator !!!

good effort Anish

I started with similar plans, mounted the components (Mobo, PSU, HDD)on a plyboard and then never got around to building the enclosure.

To cut a long story short, I just stuck the base vertically between a bunch of books so that if the damn thing does not look good, at least it is not an eyesore as you can't see it anymore :p

Since it needs just two cables running to it (power and ethernet), stashing it in a shelf without making a mess of all the wires wasn't all that difficult.

And since the thing is completely open, no need for fans either :devil2:

Back