Worklog : The Wooden Home Server

Anish

Skilled
Okay, I've finally decided to go the custom way. Will be building a custom wooden case of dimensions 45x35x10 cm (WxLxH). I'll be putting up drawings in a little while.

Here are my components.

Mobo + CPU - Intel D201GLY2

RAM - 512 x 1 DDR2 667 (Lying around)

PSU - Generic 350W (Lying around)

HDD - 250GB x 2 Seagate 7200.11 Slim (RAID 0)

Will mostly fire this up with Windows Home Server, I'll consider shifting to a LAMP setup once my Macbook arrives and exams finish, so I'll have more time to experiment.

Here's a schematic that my carpenter is gonna be working with.

Fans :

Panaflo 80x25 Ultra Quiet FBA08A12L1BX by NMB-MAT

Fan Guards :

80mm Chrome Metal Fan Guard

I'll be damping the box with foam from the inside before installing anything. This will help absorbing vibrations and noise. HDD's and Mobo will be resting on anti-static sheets, no fancy screws or anything.

zhopudey said:
2x250gb does not a server make. :p
LOL, yea, I really don't mind putting a 1TB x 2 RAID you know, as long as your funding it :D

zhopudey said:
Maybe another fan on the other side of the hdds will help?
Actually noise is another concern so maybe I'll move the HDD's closer to the first fan. 3 fans will be a overkill anyways.

Party Monger said:
Wat are the prices of the components..wats ur targeted expenditure??
Fans and Grills from Sidewinder, D201GLY2 will be around 3.2-3.4k, HDD's will be around 2.5k each.

As for the woodwork, I'll have to ask my carpenter, plywood and finishing should be within 1.5k (Hopefully).

everything should fit into 10k, but I'm looking at 8k so may cut down on the HDD cost a bit.

WHS is absolutely bollocks, stay away from it. Its got a lot of data corruption issues which have still not been resolved.

WHS has another design flaw, that’s shared with 2000/XP/Vista OS systems. Whenever you map a network resource, and have it reconnect at login, on a wireless connection, you suffer every time the same old message that the network resource wasn’t able to reconnect.

It’s just a timing issue, as obviously the wireless client needs time to establish that connection to a network resource which the operating system has not been design to allow for the action.

More info here : Power Pack 1 and Data Corruption Issue Update MS Windows Home Server

what about WIFI ? u gonna connect it to a wifi router or something ? this degisn looks nice. i think i can steal it TOO . :D already in the thoughts of it .

@ Gannu - The Intel D201GLY2 comes with a 1.2Ghz Celly soldered onto the mobo with a fully passive cooling solution.

rushabht said:
WHS is absolutely bollocks, stay away from it. Its got a lot of data corruption issues which have still not been resolved.
Yup, I just saw that some time back, plus no Vista x64 support. Thinking of Ubuntu Home Server or Superczar's LAMP setup, but may start off with WinXP and RAdmin.

200mph said:
what about WIFI ? u gonna connect it to a wifi router or something ? this degisn looks nice. i think i can steal it TOO . :D already in the thoughts of it .
Will plug into my Linksys Wireless Gateway, so it'll be on LAN and WLAN.

Seed said:
Too big for my application. Actually this is gonn sit in my Audio rack just below my Amp and DVD player, so I'm building it around the same form factor.

^ Nope, its fully planned, parts selected, some ordered but no concrete work will start till my semesters are done with :(

Updates from June 9th onwards.

Here's the second teaser. This is what final placements will be. Carpentry work is on as we speak. Should be done by late afternoon.

Pics once its done :)

Here's the config btw:

AMD Athlon X2 4200+

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H

512 x 2 DDR2 667

Seagate 7200.10 500GB (x 1 for now)

300W Generic PSU

And for those wondering about the shift in configuration, well this is going to be doing duty as a HTPC as well, so the integrated HDMI and SPDIF on the Gigabyte works great for me.

Cheers and stay tuned!

stop posting paper and start posting pics of the actual thing already :bleh:

looks pretty ok. how about making the base metal or something to help aid heat transfer.. plain wood alone will make it too hot right ?

Back