wireless bridge - what is suggested ?

You cannot attach a USB HDD to the bridge.
yes i had some confusion earlier now cleared, in-fact the USB storage can't be "mount" on any media device + network simultaneously. as i cant write the protocol in the firmware of the media players.

WD My Cloud has built in DLNA, any certified DLNA device ( my all devices already are) connected to the network will read files from it.

now the, simplified question. which cheapest bridge/ router i can buy to dd-wrt it & make a wireless bridge to that i can LAN the devices (min 4 LAN port required).

also, i will remove the linksys from the network & replace with ASUS so that i will have 300mbps network instead of 54mbps which will sync the files from my desktop to wdcloud 3x speed.

[DOUBLEPOST=1385575713][/DOUBLEPOST]
AFAIK - DD WRT has an option to make a device into a client bridge. Shall update with more details later.
exactly, need to search a cheapest draft-N router for this now .. suggestion please...

Last edited:
AFAIK - DD WRT has an option to make a device into a client bridge. Shall update with more details later.
It does, but it only works if the device itself supports it. I don't understand why this is the case as to me is seems like a question of software, whether the functionality is there or not. But there is something more involved with bridges.

Whether the N13 can work as a client bridge in dd-wrt is yet to be confirmed.

netant is the ideal person to verify this.

yes i had some confusion earlier now cleared, in-fact the USB storage can't be "mount" on any media device + network simultaneously. as i cant write the protocol in the firmware of the media players.
ok

WD My Cloud has built in DLNA, any certified DLNA device ( my all devices already are) connected to the network will read files from it.
Correct, it allows other devices (clients) to read from it as WD My cloud has a built in DLNA server.

You do not write files using DLNA, you can only read/stream with DLNA. Writing has to be done with some other program.

now the, simplified question. which cheapest bridge/ router i can buy to dd-wrt it & make a wireless bridge to that i can LAN the devices (min 4 LAN port required).
The problem is how you will write files to wd cloud. In your current network layout, this WD cloud, media player, tv will be connected to a 4 port hub which connects to the bridge. These devices can read from the wd cloud as well as your lan over wifi and internet.

But you need to transfer your files over to the WD cloud before. To do this you need some sort of program to push files from your desktop to write to the WD cloud. How to do that ?

Does WD cloud have an ftp server ? confirm this before you buy it.

If so then when its connected to the bridge it will be like a NAS. When connected to the bridge which is like a big wifi dongle, the ftp server on the wd cloud will be accesible from your desktop via wifi. from your desktop you will ftp any files to the wd cloud. Make sure your desktop is connected by ethenet to the wifi router otherwise you will halve your transfer speed. There must be only one wifi hop, that is router to bridge. Not desktop to router to bridge which is two hops.

also, i will remove the linksys from the network & replace with ASUS so that i will have 300mbps network instead of 54mbps which will sync the files from my desktop to wdcloud 3x speed.
You are anyway going to get the wd cloud. Suggest you try to get the n13 working as a client bridge with dd-wrt as proof of concept. There are bridges that come with 4 ethernet ports built in but they are double the price. They also offer dual band which strictly speaking isn't required in your case.

Last edited:
netant is the ideal person to verify this.
as i mentioned earlier my experience with dd-wrt in n13 is not fruitfully, all led will act like power led ( continuously glow all the time) + usb wil stop working, etc

You do not write files using DLNA, you can only read/stream with DLNA. Writing has to be done with some other program.
The problem is how you will write files to wd cloud. In your current network layout, this WD cloud, media player, tv will be connected to a 4 port hub which connects to the bridge. These devices can read from the wd cloud as well as your lan over wifi and internet.
But you need to transfer your files over to the WD cloud before. To do this you need some sort of program to push files from your desktop to write to the WD cloud. How to do that ?

netant: when connected to network, the drive can be seen as regular network drive in form PC/ MAC. i seen this on various YouTube video reviews

Does WD cloud have an ftp server ? confirm this before you buy it.
netant: launching on 1st December for India, will try to confirm before buy.

If so then when its connected to the bridge it will be like a NAS. When connected to the bridge which is like a big wifi dongle, the ftp server on the wd cloud will be accesible from your desktop via wifi. from your desktop you will ftp any files to the wd cloud. Make sure your desktop is connected by ethenet to the wifi router otherwise you will halve your transfer speed. There must be only one wifi hop, that is router to bridge. Not desktop to router to bridge which is two hops.
netant: yes my Desktop is wired. if its been read like normal network drive as shown in all review videos, i can use batch file with RoboCopy to one-way sync files to it.

You are anyway going to get the wd cloud. Suggest you try to get the n13 working as a client bridge with dd-wrt as proof of concept. There are bridges that come with 4 ethernet ports built in but they are double the price. They also offer dual band which strictly speaking isn't required in your case.
netant: Sure, will try to test this out also.

if all fails, i can wait for few month & get a powerline + a 5-port network switch. -- in this case i don't even need My Cloud, will just install twanky on computers.

netant: when connected to network, the drive can be seen as regular network drive in form PC/ MAC. i seen this on various YouTube video reviews
That's with SMB, which is slower than ftp. For you transfer speed is important.[DOUBLEPOST=1385652855][/DOUBLEPOST]
as i mentioned earlier my experience with dd-wrt in n13 is not fruitfully, all led will act like power led ( continuously glow all the time) + usb wil stop working, etc
There are plenty of people here with N13 & dd-wrt, doesn't anybody have any helpful advice to offer ?

Did you ever create a specific thread and ask about it.

That's with SMB, which is slower than ftp. For you transfer speed is important.[DOUBLEPOST=1385652855][/DOUBLEPOST]
There are plenty of people here with N13 & dd-wrt, doesn't anybody have any helpful advice to offer ?

Did you ever create a specific thread and ask about it.
now planing to make asus = primary router.
how is netis http://www.ebay.in/itm/Netis-WF2419...8?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item1c372c35f8 , can it be trusted, i can use that as wireless bridge.. possible ?

umm, if you use n13 as your main router then you do not need dd-wrt. You just need the N300 bridge i suggested earlier.

I suggested to use dd-wrt with n13 to see if you could turn n13 into a bridge to use with your linksys as a proof of concept.

umm, if you use n13 as your main router then you do not need dd-wrt. You just need the N300 bridge i suggested earlier.

I suggested to use dd-wrt with n13 to see if you could turn n13 into a bridge to use with your linksys.
yes, wont flash the N13.
but might get this & flash with dd-wrt, http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-wr841n-300mbps-wireless-n-router/p/itmd7hn9cw5y3h3k?pid=RTRD7HN3JJYF6WN2&otracker=from-search&srno=t_1&query=tplink 841n&ref=4cc9b5a0-e670-41c9-bf75-998422077c43

what you think ?

Update:
n13 bridge mode is not working in dd-wrt, http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=695199&sid=100004d87534403aff09b961f90ec605
i have already flashed it & reverted back. don't want to flash again.

Last edited:
Verify before you buy whether dd-wrt works in client bridge mode for that model.

Otherwise the 801ND will work as a bridge in stock.

Update:
n13 bridge mode is not working in dd-wrt, http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=695199&sid=100004d87534403aff09b961f90ec605
i have already flashed it & reverted back. don't want to flash again.
right, these are the kind of threads i've seen in the past. Nobody seems to get it working ie no confirmation N13 works as a client bridge.

yeah but does the 841n support client bridge mode or not. It does not do it in stock.

You need to verify whether dd-wrt can do it. i suspect it will be the same story like n13.

This post appears to confirm it. Create a thread on dd-wrt and ask the same question. Mention you need to access a server from behind the client bridge. How this will work is something that needs to be verified. Your basic setup is as follows

[wired client]----[main router]-))))))))))))))))[client bridge]---wired---ftp server

direction of traffic is primiarily wired client off the main router ---> ftp server

i think that static ips on clients connected to the bridge and the bridge itself will be more stable. The problem is the main router needs to know about those IPs otherwise clients behind the bridge will not be accessible.

DHCP will work but is harder to troubleshoot in case of a problem. fixed ips are easier.

Thanks @blr_p
i was doing some test from n13 router to my laptop ( wi-fi mode - n ) earlier this morning. I got a sustainable transfer speed ~7+megs .... which is a bad news.
Even if i forget streaming 1080p movies, majority of my music collection are hi fidelity FLAC from hd-track, those are encoded 2-channel in 24bit with a sample rate of 192000.
Theoretically these files needs 9.219Mbps speed.

seems like wireless connection is not going to give me fruitful results :( & have to find some alternate way link this :- http://goo.gl/jhvqyA

Thanks @blr_p
i was doing some test from n13 router to my laptop ( wi-fi mode - n ) earlier this morning. I got a sustainable transfer speed ~7+megs .... which is a bad news.
Is that 7MB/s or 56Mb/s ? that's actually quite good.

n13 is N300, your laptop will have a N300 adapter, you should get anywhere from 20-40Mb/s or 4-5MB/s or about half an hour to transfer a 10GB file.

Even if i forget streaming 1080p movies, majority of my music collection are hi fidelity FLAC from hd-track, those are encoded 2-channel in 24bit with a sample rate of 192000.
Theoretically these files needs 9.219Mbps speed.

seems like wireless connection is not going to give me fruitful results :( & have to find some alternate way link this :- http://goo.gl/jhvqyA
Actually no, your idea does away with streaming full HD precisely because full HD needs more bandwidth. All you're doing is transferring files to the ftp server via wifi that is locally attached to your tv. Takes time to transfer over, once done you can watch without problem. If you get it working i can see your idea picking up with many people.

Audio will be ok 19200 is what 0.2Mb/s, this will work without issue. full hd will not be reliable but you don't care :)

Your powerline linkysys costs ~rs.5k, speeds are little below N300. To go faster you need 2nd gen homeplug, that will be 10k.

Last edited:
Audio will be ok 19200 is what 0.2Mb/s, this will work without issue.

No, - correct me if i'm wrong.

bandwidth required = (bit depth) x (sample rate) x (number of channel)
so (24) x (192000) x (2) = 9,216,000 , or 9.216 Mbps for those files,
else for normal flac files (16) x (44100) x (2) = 1.4112Mbps
and for surround DTS audio/ SACD (16) x (44100) x (6) = 4.234 Mbps <-- these can't be streamed via DLNA, i will play them directly in my CD player.

Your powerline linkysys costs ~rs.5k, speeds are little below N300. To go faster you need 2nd gen homeplug, that will be 10k.
No, the N13 four back ports are 10/100 LAN switch , 200mbps itself is not possible to attain.

for movies, i think will get a 500gb WD external drive / 32 gig pen drive, as wont be playing movies all the time, might be 2-3 in a week. hence spending a bomb or the effort will be wasted.
reprioritizing my plan,
#1. keep my music 24 x7 online to be accessed from/to any DNLA device in home.
cheapest option at this point of time seems to be :-
#1.a Get the TP link stuffs, dd-wrt it, use as bridge.
#1.b Get WD my book live (has restricted DLNA option due to old version of twonky ) or wait for WD My cloud (which has twonky v7, and interchangeable WD lite-dlna) to released in India. -- will be hooked at main router not in bridge.

#2. Keep looking for a solution, something like running a gigabit network across house. this will be a costly affair need to think and plan properly for all logistics required and budget.

@blr_p your thoughts please ?

Back