wireless bridge - what is suggested ?

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
hello everybody,
Im looking to provide the love of internet to few of my devices kept in another room which only has LAN & no wi-fi connection. ( not possible to wire them via switch)
below is the the rough diagram, in reality the number of device can vary.
wf25Tz3.gif

I am looking for a wireless bridge which can:-
  1. connect wireless to my main router & provide internet to any device connected via LAN to it.
  2. Copy files via computer(s) to the USB storage attached to it.

Points to note:
  • media player has to be connected to the storage via USB, don't want stream movies/media wireless.
  • USB storage will connect to bridge via USB and not CAT5 ( wrong color in image)

I have a Asus RT-N13U biting dust, can i use that as wireless bridge?
as if i use that as repeater mode it will reduce my overall wireless bandwidth to 50% which i don't want.
ezswitch.jpg

please let me know you inputs,
i don't want to invest anything but if i have to get some hardware i would go for the cheapest possible/ used.

Thanks.

wf25Tz3.gif

I am looking for a wireless bridge which can:-
  1. connect wireless to my main router & provide internet to any device connected via LAN to it.
  2. Copy files via computer(s) to the USB storage attached to it.
What main router do you have ? model

Points to note:
  • media player has to be connected to the storage via USB, don't want stream movies/media wireless.
  • USB storage will connect to bridge via USB and not CAT5 ( wrong color in image)
I guess all you're looking for is just a way to browse the net from your tv ?

Not possible to connect USB storage via USB to bridge. Why do you want to do that. Only ethernet.

I have a Asus RT-N13U biting dust, can i use that as wireless bridge?
You can try but i've yet to see anyone confirm that client bridge mode works with dd-wrt on N13..

my impression is that the N13 cannot work in client bridge mode.

i don't want to invest anything but if i have to get some hardware i would go for the cheapest possible/ used.
What are your requirements of this bridge.
How far will the bridge be from the main router.
How many walls in between & how thick (6,9 or 11 inches).

@sitanshu @blr_p Using Linksys WAG 200G with airtel as the primary router.
TV already connected to wifi,
my main goal is to transfer files to the usb storage so that my media player can play from it. & media player need to connected to internet for pulling media info about the files played from internet.

N13 i tried long back with ddwrt but the LED were acting weird so reverted to stock firmware.

searched DLink DAP 1522 = which has 4 port lan & USB but pricy :(

distance is just 1 wall away about 25 feet ( straight line) , my TV receives minimum 93% signal strength over wifi,

one more thing: i currently restricted my wireless signals to G-only for compatibility with my legacy devices,

Last edited:
my main goal is to transfer files to the usb storage so that my media player can play from it. & media player need to conned to internet for pulling media info about the files played from internet.
You will get g speeds so little slower than N150. How much data will you transfer per day say. Speeds with a bridge are going to 10-15Mbs or 2MB/s (!)

Just to copy 500MB will take like 4-5 mins.

You cannot attach USB to the bridge. Does your media player have an ethernet port. Which media player is it.

What sort of encryption are you using for wifi ? WEP or WPA

distance is just 1 wall away about 25 feet ( straight line) , my TV receives minimum 93% signal strength over wifi,

one more thing: i currently restricted my wireless signals to G-only for compatibility with my legacy devices,
Why do you say restricted, wag200g is a g router isn't it.

You will get g speeds so little slower than N150. How much data will you transfer per day say. Speeds with a bridge are going to 10-15Mbs or 2MB/s (!)
Just to copy 500MB will take like 4-5 mins..
copying @2mb/s doesn't hurt much as i will 1-way-sync the media files overnight weekly once from my desktop, hardly matter if it took whole night .

You cannot attach USB to the bridge. Does your media player have an ethernet port. Which media player is it.
What sort of encryption are you using for wifi ? WEP or WPA
Why do you say restricted, wag200g is a g router isn't it.
media player ( Sony BDP) has single Ethernet that im planning to feed internet/network for SEN, firmware updates, stream music form my PC, etc
encryption = WPA2, yes its b/g , disabled B completely so that it doesn't downgrade to B

What are the other option i have to get this done ? as the usb drive is not portable & powered.

copying @2mb/s doesn't hurt much as i will 1-way-sync the media files overnight weekly once from my desktop, hardly matter if it took whole night .

What are the other option i have to get this done ? as the usb drive is not portable & powered.
Too much hassle, why not just take the USB drive to your desktop plug it in and copy that way.

media player ( Sony BDP) has single Ethernet that im planning to feed internet/network for SEN, firmware updates, stream music form my PC, etc
encryption = WPA2, yes its b/g , disabled B completely so that it doesn't downgrade to B
So this is something that a bridge could help with.

ok, so you have a g network. Cheapest bridge you can find is a N150 by tp-link. Should work across one wall.

TP-LINK TL-WA701ND 150Mbps Wireless N Access Point

However, if you decide to use your N13 as the main router and just turn off the wifi on the linkysys then you will have a N300 router instead of a g, which means double throughput. In that case its better to go with a N300 bridge. More future proof too.

TP-LINK TL-WA801ND Wireless N Access Point

if you don't feel like moving your usb drive back at least this will give you twice the speed. 2MB/s --> 4MB/s

These devices have just one ethernet port, if you need to attach more devices then just get a 4 port hub. Use a private static IP for the bridge and reserve this bridge IP address on your main router so there is no collision.

I don't know why you went back to g after the N13 :confused:

N13 don't have ADSL, which needed for airtel internet.
I'm still not clear how you are going to transfer files to your usb via wifi ?

ok so its connected to the bd player. so what. The bd player can read the usb HDD. But how will you write files.

I'm still not clear how you are going to transfer files to your usb via wifi ?

ok so its connected to the bd player. so what. The bd player can read the usb HDD. But how will you write files.

if i think in POV of asus rt-n13u, i can plug in the storage to the USB of the router, define aidrive & can ftp the files from any PC in the network.
The player can pull any files form the network. if im thinking in right direction i will get decent transfer speed as player will be wired to the router/bridge connected to the storage media.

what are your thought on this ? or what are the possible approach to get this done ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-2TB-Cloud-Personal-Storage/dp/B00FOKN7FG <== will this help me in achieving my goals ?

if i think in POV of asus rt-n13u, i can plug in the storage to the USB of the router, define aidrive & can ftp the files from any PC in the network.
This means replacing the linksys with the N13 as the main router.

The player can pull any files form the network. if im thinking in right direction i will get decent transfer speed as player will be wired to the router/bridge connected to the storage media.

what are your thought on this ? or what are the possible approach to get this done ?
How will the player pull the files, does it have an ftp client ?

Where will it be located on the network. Connected to your bd player or some pc.

This means replacing the linksys with the N13 as the main router.
How will the player pull the files, does it have an ftp client ?
Where will it be located on the network. Connected to your bd player or some pc.

BD player can pull files form network (DLNA - stuffs) .
@blr_p you are confusing me :( see this simple connection.
gvKq1vb.gif

Storage connected to ASUS - via usb, and BD connected to ASUS via LAN cable. ASUS connected to linksys wirelessly.
do you think it will work ?

not going to replace linksys, as that a ADLS2+ which is needed for internet. and if replaced it can only provide 10mbps via CAT5.
No point connecting the WD cloud to Linksys that will be seen by the player same as file stored in my PC hard-disk. A minimum of 15mbps+ file bandwidth is required to play movies.

i will try & test the method and see if this work next weekend, if you have any other suggestion let me know.

Correct me if i am wrong, but if you are using a wifi bridge, you cannot use that same device as an AP at the same time.

To get client bridge functionality on the n13 requires dd-wrt. N13 will not work as abridge with stock firmware.

It's not been confirmed as yet that even with dd-wrt that the n13 can act as a bridge.

Client bridge is there in dd-wrt, but not confirmed as working on N13.

To get client bridge functionality on the n13 requires dd-wrt. N13 will not work as abridge with stock firmware.
It's not been confirmed as yet that even with dd-wrt that the n13 can act as a bridge.
Client bridge is there in dd-wrt, but not confirmed as working on N13.
yes n13 is not 100% compatible with ddwrt, as i mentioned earlier. all LED will act weird when flashed with it. need some other hardware for sure. How about Broadband over power lines ? are the successful ?

N13 is compatible with dd-wrt. The added fucntionality that dd-wrt provides depends on whether the device can support it or not. Dunno about this wierd behaviour you're talking about.

Broadband over powerlines will be more expensive for N150 performance. I don't think its necessary in your case since there is only 1 wall to deal with.

But my original question still remains, how will you write to the USB hDD attached to the BD player. What functions can the BD player do. It can read from the ethernet and USB. But it can download and save to USB HDD ?

If so the way i would do this is as follows

[linksys wag 200 (adsl only)]-->N13 -- )))))wifi ))))))-----bridge--->bd player(download via HTTP or FTP)<---USB storage

Last edited:
You cannot attach a USB HDD to the bridge. You can attach only via ethernet. The link you've shown is for a bridge with multiple ethernet ports. The tp-link i linked you to only has ONE ethernet port. Now if the HDD comes with ethernet (WD cloud), you can attach it to the bridge.

But you also want to download to your bd player firmware and stream music etc, so you need a hub to connect the bd player and wd cloud.

Now, you still need to download files to the HDD. For that you need a program ftp client or other. Does WD cloud provide ftp client or a ftp server.

Last edited:
Back