Windows 8 - Feedback thread

updated to win 8.1 today . Cant type anything at the start screen :( so quick search is gone . did they removed that feature ?
also cant find those animated backgrounds that 8.1 was getting (dragon,robot and fish one).

CS was messed up for me too before installing razer software and changing sensitivity . try installing software and drivers for your mouse .
Also had to increase mouse sensitivity in CS 1.6.

CS was messed up for me too before installing razer software and changing sensitivity . try installing software and drivers for your mouse .
Also had to increase mouse sensitivity in CS 1.6.
Actually the cause of all the windows 8.1 problem is the steelseries driver.

Installing the new steelseries engine is breaking the OS.

That is what happened to me.

Also i had to uninstall the old steelseries engine in order to upgrade, had 2 failed tries, then read on Microsoft forums that steelseries driver causing windows problems..

Steelseries sent out an announcement yesterday.

"Windows 8.1 users do not install Steelseries engine 2.It has some critical errors which will break you OS ".

Steelseries support on their Facebook page says We are working with Microsoft to sort out the problems.. But they have no clue what actually is wrong.

Last edited:
Upgrade was pretty seamless for me, downloaded, prepared everything, and notified only when it was going to complete installation and reboot.

^^^^Quick search does exist in the metro screen...

I know quick search is there in windows 8.1 but it's not working for me. I just can't type anything in the start menu. Requested for technical support using email, lets see what reply I get.

On screen keyboard works with the search.

Moved to startisback till I get this fixed.

quick search ( using win key + s at the moment) has improved compared to win 8 but a bit of lag is still there.

I searched online for my quick search problem and according to Microsoft support, my keyboard drivers need to be updated ? that's something new i heard :p
link to- MS forum thread

I know keyboard needs driver but all my keyboards use generic HID keyboard driver included in the OS. why else call keyboard a plug and play device !
Any suggestions from where i can get keyboard drivers for my laptop keyboard ? i don't even know the keyboard manufacturer :(

I went to the Store , clicked download update , but no thankfully did not have to download again...it shows "downloading" for 2 seconds , then setting up , preparing,blah blah...when setup is ready it asks for a restart , and says it will restart in 15 minutes anyways...

Well, shall have to pony up for Tithy's SIB then - I cant stand that lag. Anyways, will need to install Ubuntu alongside, so should wean myself off Windoze :p

Does anyone know how to go back the the Windows XP/Vista/7/8 style layout for My computer? Some google-fu didn't throw up any answers.

i have win 7 in my old toshiba amd turion laptop. Today i tried to install win 8.1 clean install thru bootable flash drive(got key from dreamspark)After install win 8 button i got window asking to select the driver to install as it windows didn't found any. exact msg is no device drivers were found. make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers and then click on ok.

well the laptop is installed with vista and then i had clean installed win 7. what should i do now.. if drivers and bios i'm not sure whether they are being released by toshiba as it is 2008 purchased one model.
anybody faced this prob and pl suggest.

i have win 7 in my old toshiba amd turion laptop. Today i tried to install win 8.1 clean install thru bootable flash drive(got key from dreamspark)After install win 8 button i got window asking to select the driver to install as it windows didn't found any. exact msg is no device drivers were found. make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers and then click on ok.

well the laptop is installed with vista and then i had clean installed win 7. what should i do now.. if drivers and bios i'm not sure whether they are being released by toshiba as it is 2008 purchased one model.
anybody faced this prob and pl suggest.
I have 2007 old dell with Win 8.1 , didnt face any issues . Were able to install Win or its just one device in device manager without proper drivers ?

See if you have 64bit drivers for the Turion - even Windows 7 drivers should do. Post the details/screenshots. Enable Windows Update - I am guessing the Ethernet drivers may be missing.

Back