Windows 7 Beta Observations and Screenshots

H@cKer said:
Where can I get drivers for my abit ip35-e (smbus and lan) for windows 7 64-bit

You must have received the Drivers CD with the motherboard? Simply pop it in and direct your Device Manager to look in the CD for the drivers. The Vista drivers work smoothly.

Some fundae on the Windows Experience Index (WEI) in Windows 7 ..

* Windows 7 raises the top WEI score from 5.9 to 7.9. This takes into account faster hardware that’s been released since Vista went RTM.
* Five areas tested stays the same:
- Processor
- Memory (RAM)
- Graphics (general desktop work)
- Gaming Graphics (typically 3D)
- Primary Hard Disk
* The scoring rules have been changed, which means that scores on identical hardware relative to Vista might not be the same.
* WEI scores of 6 and 7 represent high end systems.
* to score a 6 or 7 in terms of gaming graphics, a system will have to support DirectX 10 and WDDM 1.1 driver. DirectX 9 support only, along with WDDM 1.0 drivers, will cap score at 5.9.
* Hard drive scores for drives exhibiting what Microsoft calls “problematic†have been capped under Beta 1 of Windows 7.
* As guidance, Microsoft claim that most quad-core CPUs will be able to hit high 6 to low 7 range, with 8-core rigs able to approach 7.9.

Just remembered Beta is "feature complete" so has anyone been able to try out the speech/handwriting recognition?

edit: nevermind, im playing with it now :D some stability issues, will post some info later

edit2: ya, seems to be unstable, as in, speech recognition program "stops working" after the first command. went through the lengthy speech training reciting the sentences on screen and getting from baffled looks from folks at home :D

Installed Win7 today morning.

Was a breeze.. System was up in around 15-20mins.

All hardware recognised :)

Seems far more slick and resposive.. Will post more later

Thanks to this thread for making me jump into it !

shashank_re said:
Are you guys using this beta Windows 7 as your primary OS?

I am. Installed it on a newly assembled system. Haven't had any major issues.
There are a couple of minor things, like having to run a few installers in compatibility mode, and wireless network not working after coming out of sleep. But I plan to run this till the end of the beta.

PS: Just for info, moved from XP to 7.

whatsinaname said:
I am. Installed it on a newly assembled system. Haven't had any major issues.
There are a couple of minor things, like having to run a few installers in compatibility mode, and wireless network not working after coming out of sleep. But I plan to run this till the end of the beta.

PS: Just for info, moved from XP to 7.

Enable auto connect for the wireless networks..
Unlike xp, all other pc components are switched off during sleep in win7..

Party Monger said:
Enable auto connect for the wireless networks..
Unlike xp, all other pc components are switched off during sleep in win7..

No, I don't think it's just a disconnect. My card cannot find any networks till I restart.

But maybe you are talking about something else? What specifically do I do?

Does MS ever bother to make its OSes stable ? Seriously, that's all I ever need in a MS OS. I used to use Vista earlier, but gave up on it, ever since it started acting shittily with network services. Its seriously F**ed up.

Honestly, I dont see a reason to shift from XP to this OS.

Apart from a few graphical tweaks ( which not a lot of people would really care about) there aren't any major reasons to shift to a new OS.

alsiladka said:
You must have received the Drivers CD with the motherboard? Simply pop it in and direct your Device Manager to look in the CD for the drivers. The Vista drivers work smoothly.

nope I tried that it is not detecting any drivers:(

Amol said:
Does MS ever bother to make its OSes stable ? Seriously, that's all I ever need in a MS OS. I used to use Vista earlier, but gave up on it, ever since it started acting shittily with network services. Its seriously F**ed up.
Honestly, I dont see a reason to shift from XP to this OS.
Apart from a few graphical tweaks ( which not a lot of people would really care about) there aren't any major reasons to shift to a new OS.

So for you this OS is just a few graphical tweaks?

You seriously need to give this beta a try. It is anything but just a compilation of graphical tweaks. Far from just that.

If not us, then i believe there would be some source or site you would be trusting? Check their reviews on Windows 7 beta.

H@cKer said:
nope I tried that it is not detecting any drivers:(

Are extract the setups,
Run them, then go to the temp folder where they extract the files, and then copy that folder and use that folder as the source..that shud work..
I got all my dell drivers same way..:eek:hyeah:

Till now, 7 is taking much less RAM than Vista ever did (even after a fresh install). On my lappy, vista averages to 1.4GB/3GB and 7 to 1GB/3GB.

Frack. :cry:

I could've listened to appo when he'd asked me to copy the Win 7 Beta from his comp yesterday. :chair:

Back