Windows 7 Beta Observations and Screenshots

Another nifty little bit of UI which was also mentioned in some earlier reviews online: the icons in the taskbar (superbar?) for running apps glow with the "majority colour" when mouseover, meaning IE icon glows with blue tint, Firefox glows with orange, Explorer is yellow etc :)

Attachments

• IE.jpg
    IE.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Firefox.jpg
    Firefox.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Explorer.jpg
    Explorer.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 104
Installed 64 bit from my pendrive. Till now everything works fine except for srs audio sandbox which has compatibility problem. Oh, by the way, i can see there is no equaliser in windows media player 12, in fact, the whole enhancement panel is not there.

Edit:

Softwares Installed Till Now:

1. Nod32 Antivirus 64 bit

2. IDM 5.14

3. Firefox 3.0.5

4. uTorrent 1.8.1

5. CCCPack

6. CoreAVC 1.8.5

7. Open Office 3

8. Yahoo Messenger

9.CCleaner

Audio worked with default windows 7 driver, got NVidia Driver from windows update.

What about Gaming guys? Is it better or atleast the same as in Vista? Any additional crashes during gaming sessions, if experienced by anyone.

Currently downloading 64bit from Microsoft. Also got the key. Will install tonite. :) Welcome suggestions for gaming performance...

My personal favourite

1. Start app which uses sound card (youtube, media player).

2. Play stuff.

3. Plugin USB headphone - sound transfers to headphone!

4. Unplug USB headphone - sound transfers back to soundcard.

It didn't do this in Vista.

Guy's any idea how to disable autocomplete in windows explorer ?? I tried a few things, but the places I've visited keep on showing up on the drop down address bar :(

So far I've tried the following ...

1) Setting history in IE8 to 0 days
2) Setting delete history on exit in IE8
3) Tried deleting the history from commandline
4) Tried deleting history from internet option is IE(the usual way)
5) Tried setting the autocomplete to off from content tab in IE.
6) Disabled Internet Explorer History from Indexing Option in Control panel and also rebuilt the index

Using the above methods the history in IE is wiped off but a few local addresses that I've typed still show up in the drop down list of windows explorer, would be awesome if anyone could help :)

[strike]Tools->Internet Options->Content tab. There is an AutoComplete button...[/strike]

oh you already tried it..., tried rebooting?

clown_abhi said:
What about Gaming guys? Is it better or atleast the same as in Vista? Any additional crashes during gaming sessions, if experienced by anyone.

Currently downloading 64bit from Microsoft. Also got the key. Will install tonite. :) Welcome suggestions for gaming performance...

Got Tomb raider, COD4 and NFSMW running on win 7. haven't really measured the performance diff yet. (as the ATI drivers are 8.11 beta version for win 7, i don't think it'll be better than vista at the moment)

on the install: All my h/w was detected & was up 'n running at the first go! even the picky realtek on-board sound.

have managed to install: tuneup 2009, GOM player, Kaspersky <beta>, Songbird, firefox... basically managed to run all apps that run on vista x64.

the taskbar on the side of the screen is a lot more practical than at the bottom. + gives a new OS feeling :)

OK another issue I'm having is while installing java runtime environment I'm getting an error that windows installer has stopped working , I've tried the following fixes, but none have worked so far ....

1) Tried downloading and installing an older version of jre (1.5.x)
2) Tried running the installer as an Admin and in compatability mode (Vista and XP SP2)
3) Tried the online installer
4) Tried in safe mode

I need jre to be installed, so that I could get Limewire and Vuze to work, any help would be awesome :)

btw still havnt found a solution to my last problem :( (Where are you asliladka ??)

but rest all is workin great and I'm using it as my main OS right now, even my TV tuner which was released during XP time, still works on this with Win 2K drivers :eek:hyeah:

plsoft said:
I installed JRE 6 update 11 x64 without any problem.....
Edit:
@thexfactor: Don't know bout settings in windows but using ccleaner does it for me.

I'm getting this error while installing jre-6u11-windows-i586-p-s as well as jre-1_5_0-windows-i586 (The older version)

Maybe it has something to do with the windows installer too ... Seems to be a not so common problem :(

K will try out CCleaner

Edit: OK so I tried and it didnt work :( ... anyway I just renamed the folder which I didnt want anyone to know about :p so that about solves it for me, for now :)

Let me summarise my experience with Windows7 x64, "It was meant for me".

I cant even thank MS enough for making this OS and releasing the beta at the right time, as far as I am concerned. I just had to install the display driver probably coz its a quadro. And to top that its stable!

Ever since I bought my Latitude E6400 in November I have been in pain. The pain of hard resetting the damn laptop almost everytime I closed the lid, coz the display just wont come up after the lid was lifted.

I tried XP pro, Vista x86 and Vista x64. XP was the worst of the lot, completely unstable, would crash and hang randomly. Vista x64 was much better but the issue of display lid persisted. I called tech support but the morons said its not a hardware issue. Of course its not, coz its most likely a driver issue. Nevertheless several fresh installs and permutation and combination didnt solve my prob. After reading rave reviews about the new OS I had to give it a try. And boy am I happy. Its more than I expected it to be.

I like the way it improves the usability for me. Several features have made life easier for me like:-

1. I can keep my documents in several different folders and drives, yet I can have one click access to all of them using the explorer library.

2. I can right click the taskbar icon to see recent documents of that type.

3. The network connection system icon gives me one click access to my bluetooth dialer and wireless networks available.

4. Most importantly now I dont have to resize all my windows manually to occupy half the screen. I like to work on two documents simultaneously, so all I have to do is drag the window to the left or right edge and presto! It automatically resizes it to occupy half the screen.

I am sure I will discover more things I like about this OS. It may not mean much to competitor fanbois but these little features just improve my day. Cant imagine going back to even Vista now, let alone XP :p

Renegade said:
Ever since I bought my Latitude E6400 in November I have been in pain. The pain of hard resetting the damn laptop almost everytime I closed the lid, coz the display just wont come up after the lid was lifted.
I tried XP pro, Vista x86 and Vista x64. XP was the worst of the lot, completely unstable, would crash and hang randomly. Vista x64 was much better but the issue of display lid persisted. I called tech support but the morons said its not a hardware issue. Of course its not, coz its most likely a driver issue. Nevertheless several fresh installs and permutation and combination didnt solve my prob. After reading rave reviews about the new OS I had to give it a try. And boy am I happy. Its more than I expected it to be.

Damn, did none of the Nvidia or Dell drivers work? That must have been really pissing off issue!!

Quadro on a lappiee.. cool man :hap2:

1. I can keep my documents in several different folders and drives, yet I can have one click access to all of them using the explorer library.

It is the perfect solution when you have your music and videos scattered around in different drives, including External drives! No more keeping 3 4 folders opened so that your friends can take a look at your collection :eek:hyeah: Just fire up the externals and open the Video library!
2. I can right click the taskbar icon to see recent documents of that type.

Thats what i do. No more "Open File" dialogue for re-opening the same file again and again.

Theres another convinient way to do it though, designed with touch interfaces in mind.

Simply click the left button and drag it upwards on the icon, the jumplist pops up! Very handy when you are feeling lazy and gets the job done in a jiffy making use of just one finger ;)

4. Most importantly now I dont have to resize all my windows manually to occupy half the screen. I like to work on two documents simultaneously, so all I have to do is drag the window to the left or right edge and presto! It automatically resizes it to occupy half the screen.

Cant put in words how usefull it is on the widescreens! Previously, had to do it manually! Now, either just drag to the sides or use the Win Key + Arrow key for the same effect ;)

Another scenario where i found it to be really usefull is when comparing two folders and consolidating them while making sure you don't have duplicate copies lying around.
I am sure I will discover more things I like about this OS. It may not mean much to competitor fanbois but these little features just improve my day. Cant imagine going back to even Vista now, let alone XP :p

Thats the bulls eye. Its these little features which make all the different in real-world benchmarking. Getting the same routines tasks done quickly. It is here where Vista and Windows 7 scored over XP, but sadly, people rely on the RAW benchmarks which no one has use of in real time computing!

Ok, so everything's almost perfect now, if only we could have a way of installing Daemon tools or Alcohol, it would be perfect :)

Back