Wifi Router Under 2k

i hv finally narrowed it down to these options...

Netgear N300 WNR3500L (supports dd-wrt, usb drive support too but not available on FK, Amazon, ebay, waiting on a local vendor for a quote... )

Bekin Share N300 (not sure if it supports dd-wrt, usb drive support is there but not available on FK, Amazon, ebay and waiting on a local vendor for a quote on this too )

Asus RT-N13U/ B1 (possible to install dd-wrt, built-in download manager, usb drive support, available on FK and with a local vendor... but i m not sure what the difference is between Asus RT-N13U and Asus RT-N13U B1)

which one would be best?

n13u is older version and even n13ub1 is not available in the market in navi mumbai atleast.He said its no more manufactured and was telling me to buy 14u

I've got the Belkin ShareMax with 2 USB ports.

I used it with the factory firmware when I had to use an ADSL modem to connect to the net, and it worked without any problems in that scenario.

But when I had to connect it directly to the internet and let it dial the PPoE connection, it kept dropping the connection or internal Wi-Fi. But it would reconnect immediately. I put dd-wrt on it and the problem got fixed.

I installed the dd-wrt big build on it, and after fiddling around with the settings a bit, it's been really stable.

The range isn't great, and the speeds are just about ok. 1-2mbps transfer speeds (but it's sitting behind a concrete beam, which has a metal electrical junction box with my houses MCB's in it - didn't have a choice that was the only place I could put it.)

I got it for about Rs.2000, which made it the only router at that price range with 2 USB ports. If your house isn't too big then it should work well. It's good enough to cover a 1500-1800 sq ft home.

Some observations:

It's fast enough to stream HD videos to 1 client.

The factory firmware needs you to install a program on your computer to access the routers USB storage, but if you install dd-wrt, then there's no need to do that.

Installing dd-wrt lets you auto-mount external HDD's that you can access easily over the network. However the version of dd-wrt I have seems to have a problem with Samba. I can't copy large files to the USB drive on the router, though I can copy many small files that add up to the same size without a hitch. I haven't bothered to try and troubleshoot this issue, but I'm sure it's fixable with a little tweaking.

There's no activity indicator for the USB slots, so you don't know what's going on.

It doesn't support the 5ghz frequency.

I didn't have any auto-restarting problems. I didn't have any problems until I removed the ADSL modem, and plugged the external ethernet cable into the WAN port. Then I had an issue with it dropping the connection, which has been resolved completely after installing dd-wrt on it.

It's really stable once it's configured properly.

If you do decide to buy it, and install dd-wrt, then get the big build instead of mega, as mega doesn't support NTFS.

I don't think it's the best router available, but it was the cheapest n300 one with 2 USB ports that supported dd-wrt when I bought it.
If it's still the cheapest, and you can live with it's limitations, then go for it.

its really funny and irritating... i cant find any of the routers i selected at any local vendors... Belkin Shrae is costing more than 3k on flipkart...

so might have to settle for this router.... will it support a usb hdd?? cant seem to find anything online related to this router...

TP-Link

Yes I had the same results as you when I went to market. We have no other option than that.
Open wrt suuports this router and in follownig months dd-wrt will support it too.

Yes it will support usb hdd I suppose.

hey,

I finally got rid of my bsnl net connection and got quest cable broadband. so now i need a new cable router.

my uses are as follows:

1. 'always on' wifi
2. wifi should connect 3-4 cellphones( most of the times), tablet and laptop(occasionally) and be useful for wireless printing(printer to be bought yet)
3. possibility to connect a hard drive to it, like WD My Cloud with ethernet connectivity or a USB drive with external power or a normal USB drive without power (either to be bought by next month), so that data in the drive can be shared to a cellphone, tablet, PC or TV on the network.
4. i dont know what DD-WRT or Dual band are used for... so do i need them?
5. long range, 5db antennae should suffice?

i found the following routers, which of these will fulfill all my requirements?

Belkin
Cisco
Dlink 1
Dlink 2
Asus
Netgear 1
Netgear 2
Netgear 3
Netgear 4

hopefully these will sort out all my neads (am i asking for too much in this price range?)

please let me know which one will be the best for me... also other suggestions are welcome.

thanks in advance

sd

I have been with quite a few IPS's, but wasn't satisfied with them.. When I decided to switch to some other ISP, I came across Tikona. Saw many reviews on various forums that were negative, then too I decided to go to Tikona as they provided a free demo.. Now I feel that It was a right decision I have made in a long while regarding Internet services. I am getting constant pretty decent speed and no down times.

Back