Wifi Router Under 2k

stavan_d

Disciple
Sep 8, 2009
hey,

I finally got rid of my bsnl net connection and got quest cable broadband. so now i need a new cable router.

my uses are as follows:

1. 'always on' wifi
2. wifi should connect 3-4 cellphones( most of the times), tablet and laptop(occasionally) and be useful for wireless printing(printer to be bought yet)
3. possibility to connect a hard drive to it, like WD My Cloud with ethernet connectivity or a USB drive with external power or a normal USB drive without power (either to be bought by next month), so that data in the drive can be shared to a cellphone, tablet, PC or TV on the network.
4. i dont know what DD-WRT or Dual band are used for... so do i need them?
5. long range, 5db antennae should suffice?

i found the following routers, which of these will fulfill all my requirements?

Belkin
Cisco
Dlink 1
Dlink 2
Asus
Netgear 1
Netgear 2
Netgear 3
Netgear 4

hopefully these will sort out all my neads (am i asking for too much in this price range?)

please let me know which one will be the best for me... also other suggestions are welcome.

thanks in advance

sd

prateekS

Skilled
Sep 19, 2012
Mumbai
Considering your requirement, i would suggest you blindly buy http://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-TL-WR841N-300Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399551718&sr=8-1&keywords=tp link 841n

I am using this and trust me this is the best router i found in 2k range. Really happy with the range.
Regarding the possibility of connecting a hard drive i have no clue. @prateekS might help.

Btw the v9 is now out and it has double the RAM , RAM increased from 32 to 64.So its RMA time , if there is some minor problem ! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: dixoncx and imkaush

stavan_d

Disciple
Sep 8, 2009
@swatkats the router seems good... but there's no mention of antenna range on this link.... is it 5db??

i wanna see if there is a router available with the possibility to attach storage(whatever kind), the Belkin router does that... i think.

only once i'm sure that no storage can be added to this... i'll go for a normal router...

one more thing i forgot to add...

my TV is connected by LAN and i wanna stream videos directly from my PC/laptop via LAN or Wifi... would this be a problem?

Spacescreamer

ex-Mod
Jan 23, 2006
You just have to select the name of the router, google it, and land on the fk page to check the specs.
You ll find the dbi mentioned there.

stavan_d

Disciple
Sep 8, 2009
@Spacescreamer it was 1:15 at night... i barely wrote the comment... and yes it does hv 2*5dbi antenna...

@imkaush anywhere i can go to know how to setup a home NAS system with a LAN based HDD or even a USB based HDD??

( i would google it... but have been extremely busy with work... hence i'm here asking people who might have already done it)

thanks

stavan_d

Disciple
Sep 8, 2009
@blr_p most rooms just one normal 4-6 inch wall or a normal wooden door... only 1 room will have 2 walls (4-6 inches, each)...
it would be nice if the router can transfer through at least 2 walls... my old bsnl router could do it through 2 walls, with a "fair" signal..

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
Then range should not be an issue with the models you chose, just pick one that suits your needs & budget. Avoid the Belkins as they like to reboot themselves once a week. The firmware has instructions to do this (!)

bear in mind your mobiles cannot do faster than N150. So expect anywhere from 10-20Mbs transfer speeds with DLNA or ftp. It will be slower if you use windows sharing. This means you won't be able to stream anything beyond HD.

I've found it better to use the laptop to hook up HDD's as i can remove it once done with DLNA. With the routers every time you connect the HDD, it reindexes and DLNA isn't operational until that indexing is over. I don't like to leave USB HDD's connected permanently to the router as their interfaces are flaky, give trouble after 1-2 years. The drive is fine though.

stavan_d

Disciple
Sep 8, 2009
@blr_p i dont always wanna keep my PC or laptop on when i just wanna access data on my Ext HDD having a router which gives me access to it will be much better...

i'm want to buy a USB HDD with/without ext power cause that drive will be cheaper compared to same size LAN drive.

i also found this link...
http://techchannel.radioshack.com/connect-usb-external-hard-drive-wireless-router-1602.html

anyone tried this?

please suggest which of the above routers to buy or others which will suit my need...

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
@blr_p i dont always wanna keep my PC or laptop on when i just wanna access data on my Ext HDD having a router which gives me access to it will be much better...

i'm want to buy a USB HDD with/without ext power cause that drive will be cheaper compared to same size LAN drive.
Fine but realise then your USB HDD will be on as long as your router. If you get a casing it will be better. usb interface packs up replace casing, its cheap. This will limit your HDD side to 0.5TB as that size does not require external power.

stavan_d

Disciple
Sep 8, 2009
Fine but realise then your USB HDD will be on as long as your router. If you get a casing it will be better. usb interface packs up replace casing, its cheap. This will limit your HDD side to 0.5TB as that size does not require external power.

@blr_p getting a laptop drive and a case separate??

what if there's a 3.5" hdd attached with ext power? would then i be able to get more than 500gb?

also... how would the sharing work between the router and say, for eg, my cellphone or tv or tab? will i get direct access to the data from these devices?

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
1 & 2. Yes

3. Sharing is either via DLNA or windows sharing. To have dlna on the router requires custom firmware or a dlna server to run somewhere else ie laptop or a NAS with direct access to the HDD. Windows sharing will work with cellphone or tab. I'm not sure about tv & windows sharing over network though.

tv usually works with dlna or local storage.

stavan_d

Disciple
Sep 8, 2009
@blr_p ohay... thanks for all the help... i think i should probably go with a router with USB port... that way i cover both bases...

i have an ext 500gb usb hdd so i'll try sharing that with my new router.

speaking of a router...

since T-link is out... which router, with a usb port, to buy?[DOUBLEPOST=1399724800][/DOUBLEPOST]how is this one?

Buffalo 450Mbps

seems to come with all the bells and whistles that i want plus a 3 year warranty.

Last edited:

stavan_d

Disciple
Sep 8, 2009
looks good. Lemme know when you buy it. It comes with dd-wrt preinstalled.

@swapnil0545 havnt finalized one yet... Buffalo router is not available on flipkart and at other places its costing more than 8k...

i m thinking about Belkin Share Router as its the only one with usb near my budget...

any one here used Belkin Share router?? besides the auto restarting... are there any other problems?