Storage Solutions Why are mechanical HDD prices increasing instead of decreasing?

It depends mainly on the usage. To get 2TB writes (not reads) over 9 months, you have to write 7GB daily, everyday.

In my regular usage, I don't think I do that. My usage revolve around usual office softwares, web browsers, etc.
You can easily achieve 6-7gb write daily even as a typical user assuming you have 8gb ram laptop & around 6gb ram is typically always in use(easy to achieve with half a dozen or bit more open tabs in chrome) & you use hibernation instead of usual shutdown(hibernation first write all the data in ram to hdd/ssd then shut down the pc).
OT but in a laptop for the OS drive which would you recommend a samsung 970 evo plus or wd sn570? Thought of going for the 970 evo plus but worried about the temperatures.
Late reply but you can go with SN570 eyes closed for OS drive as a typical user especially when using laptop as 970 evo plus runs hotter than usual. In fact you should go with SN770 as it is available at a very nice price for the first time since its launch years ago in India.

Can recommend SN570 for laptops - have a SN550 and SN570 1TB each in my laptop and both have been tip top drives, excelling on all fronts from 4k editing to gaming and hobbyist AI.

I also need to pickup a 4tb nas drive, ironwolf preferably, but it’s at 11k now, was at 9-9.5k a few months back
Whatever internal drive you decide to buy, do not buy it from amazon/fk because the packaging will be such that it will be a miracle if it lasts beyond few months/2-3 years.

edit: Internal drive here means only internal HDD & not External usb drives/ssd/NVMe.

Last edited:
Whatever internal drive you decide to buy, do not buy it from amazon/fk because the packaging will be such that it will be a miracle if it lasts beyond few months/2-3 years.
Don't know if something has changed recently, but many of my harddisk and ssd purchases were from amazon (once from flipkart too), both external and internal. No issue at all for me. Harddisk working well since 2017. nvme bought in 2020 etc. Bought ssd from primeabgb too and no problem. Just buy wherever its cheaper. Amazon has hassle free returns so i strongly prefer them, usually we get competitive prices during sales. Just bought a case too few months back, no problem.

Generally they pack everything well, the exception is HDDs. SSDs are also shipped in envelopes but they don't have any moving parts, they don't get damaged easily in shipping.
Don't know if something has changed recently, but many of my harddisk and ssd purchases were from amazon (once from flipkart too), both external and internal. No issue at all for me. Harddisk working well since 2017. nvme bought in 2020 etc. Bought ssd from primeabgb too and no problem. Just buy wherever its cheaper. Amazon has hassle free returns so i strongly prefer them, usually we get competitive prices during sales. Just bought a case too few months back, no problem.

Yup, my current 4TB ironwolf was replaced twice on Amazon before they packed it well. It’s so stupid how they pack fragile goods sometimes.

Back