Storage Solutions Why are mechanical HDD prices increasing instead of decreasing?

Used hdds can be refurbished easily ssd can't also if ssd are not used for long they loose out the data but hdd doesn't that's why data centers still use them for storage and ssd for cache.

Used hdd are much better then used ssd
Anything used is not safe IMO.

SMART data on SSDs can easily be rewritten via JTAG if one has the required tools.

Used hdds can be refurbished easily ssd can't also if ssd are not used for long they loose out the data but hdd doesn't that's why data centers still use them for storage and ssd for cache.
SSD losing data to bit rot isn't that common as it is often understood, the data will last atleast for a few years.

I've been looking for a mechanical drive since long since both my black 1tbs are over 90% full. I was told most stable mechanical drives are the black, red pro and gold. But where do i get one from? If anyone has an old one please ping me. 4 TB preferred, but 8 TB won't be bad if you offer good price.
Thanks in advance.

Yeah, it's really frustrating. I bought Seagate 5TB External in 2021 for 7500 which is 1.5K/TB from flipkart. Now, I barely see any deals that are below 1.7K/TB.

Anything used is not safe IMO.

SMART data on SSDs can easily be rewritten via JTAG if one has the required tools.
Yeah, it depends. only few select wud have it and not even those and no one likes to meddle with these.
SSD losing data to bit rot isn't that common as it is often understood, the data will last atleast for a few years.
Also used ssd are more prone to failure than hdd otherwise they wud have taken over hdd in datacenters by now.

Yeah, it depends. only few select wud have it and not even those and no one likes to meddle with these.
The users like you and me are not the source of those drives.

Look closely at the hundreds of cheap WD SSDs sold on Olx, they all have solder marks on their JTAG pads. I noticed 1 (or 2) WD SSD sold here with solder marks on their JTAG pads.

Why would anyone undertake the painstaking task of micro soldering connectors onto the SSD?

Samsung SSDs dont even require soldering for it, pogo pin like connectors can be used for connection.

All these SSDs have almost immaculate SMART data are being sold dirt cheap.
These SSDs very likely cab be chia mined and very well can be at the end of their usable life span. Many unsuspecting buyers are being sold these drives.

The users like you and me are not the source of those drives.

Look closely at the hundreds of cheap WD SSDs sold on Olx, they all have solder marks on their JTAG pads. I noticed 1 (or 2) WD SSD sold here with solder marks on their JTAG pads.

Why would anyone undertake the painstaking task of micro soldering connectors onto the SSD?

Samsung SSDs dont even require soldering for it, pogo pin like connectors can be used for connection.

All these SSDs have almost immaculate SMART data are being sold dirt cheap.
These SSDs very likely cab be chia mined and very well can be at the end of their usable life span. Many unsuspecting buyers are being sold these drives.
I always wondered how did people have their ssds at 98 to 100 percent health even after 2 to3 years of usage.

I always wondered how did people have their ssds at 98 to 100 percent health even after 2 to3 years of usage.
That does not mean that the SSD has its smart data overwritten. SSD TBWs are very high compared to what an average user drive needs.

I got a used WD Black SSD in Nov last year with ~10TB writes. I put it as my OS drive in my NUC (which is my primary non-gaming PC). In close to 9 months, the total writes I have added is 2 TB. That would be around 3 TB a year. The rating on this is 600 TBW. So purely on this, after 2 years, my drive would have been at 99% health.

However, just to note, I have a separate NAS, so downloads happen on NAS HDDs.

That does not mean that the SSD has its smart data overwritten. SSD TBWs are very high compared to what an average user drive needs.

I got a used WD Black SSD in Nov last year with ~10TB writes. I put it as my OS drive in my NUC (which is my primary non-gaming PC). In close to 9 months, the total writes I have added is 2 TB. That would be around 3 TB a year. The rating on this is 600 TBW. So purely on this, after 2 years, my drive would have been at 99% health.

However, just to note, I have a separate NAS, so downloads happen on NAS HDDs.
2tb writes is very low usage.
i dont think you will be seeing small number like this on a pc or laptop used as a daily driver

i dont think you will be seeing small number like this on a pc or laptop used as a daily driver
You're right to the extent that this is my home PC and my primary machine is my office laptop. But I also download lots of applications and stuff on my NUC because I keep trying stuff out.

For most users, unless they're working with photo/video, the TBW would be somewhere around this, maybe double or triple of this. But 98% in 1-2 years is not at all outrageous.

It depends mainly on the usage. To get 2TB writes (not reads) over 9 months, you have to write 7GB daily, everyday.

In my regular usage, I don't think I do that. My usage revolve around usual office softwares, web browsers, etc.

On the other hand, for someone who is video editor, tens of GBs of data written daily might be very common.

You're right to the extent that this is my home PC and my primary machine is my office laptop. But I also download lots of applications and stuff on my NUC because I keep trying stuff out.

For most users, unless they're working with photo/video, the TBW would be somewhere around this, maybe double or triple of this. But 98% in 1-2 years is not at all outrageous.
my wd green went to 73 percent in 2.5 years , maybe thats why its a bit shocking to me when i see 2-3 yr old drives at 98 percent or so.

my wd green went to 73 percent in 2.5 years , maybe thats why its a bit shocking to me when i see 2-3 yr old drives at 98 percent or so.
WD Green has a terrible endurance rating. From WD website:

WD Blue and Black have significantly higher endurance. Check here https://support-in.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/30797/~/wd-ssd-endurance-and-warranty-period

When it comes to SSDs, stay away from
  1. Low capacity drives, especially 256GB ones.
  2. QLC drives. Absolutely terrible in performance.
  3. Low cost models like WD Green, Crucial P1 etc.

Luckily bought a 1tb sn570 this time
WD Blue (SN570), is a very good balance between price, performance, and durability. It is one of the cheapest SSD from reputed brands, yet has very good performance and 600 TB endurance rating. That's why it's probably the most recommended SSD here and on Reddit, unless people are specifically looking for SSD with DRAM.

OT but in a laptop for the OS drive which would you recommend a samsung 970 evo plus or wd sn570? Thought of going for the 970 evo plus but worried about the temperatures.

Back