Which one - WDTV (Rs 5475) Or WDTV Live (Rs 6582) ?

Praks said:
@dheerajjotwani

Does all of them be able to download torrent & be connected to external DVD ROM ?

yes technically all have basic torrenting features built in and i know for sure that egreat, playon nd popcorn hour support usb external dvd/bd drives for playback.

while the torrent client built in are most basic, its not the end of the world. since these players have f/w based on linux, a lot more if possible. for instance i am running transmission bittorrent daemon as a service on playon even though it has btpd torrent client built in. i am hosting a ftp, running torrents (which can be accessed and controlled from anywhere on the internet) and a NAS on the pohd right now apart from it playing almost all media imaginable...

@dheerajjotwani

Bhai, U seem to be king of media players :)

From my requirement, I am sure all media players will Play video in mp4, mkv, m2ts & audio on Dolby DTS encoding, BD Rips.

As you said, I have made a note for media players which supports external DVD ROM (very useful if people backup movies on DVD/CD) - egreat, Popcorn Hour NMT, Playon!HD

I dont need wireless so thats out of scope. I m sure HDMI out is common these day,

Last requirement is Download torrent.

Can you please tell out of all players you gave which would be best to download torrents (4-6 at a time) with good speed.

Which to choose Playon!HD or Playon!HD mini ?

Praks said:
@dheerajjotwani

Bhai, U seem to be king of media players :)

From my requirement, I am sure all media players will Play video in mp4, mkv, m2ts & audio on Dolby DTS encoding, BD Rips.

As you said, I have made a note for media players which supports external DVD ROM (very useful if people backup movies on DVD/CD) - egreat, Popcorn Hour NMT, Playon!HD

I dont need wireless so thats out of scope. I m sure HDMI out is common these day,

Last requirement is Download torrent.

Can you please tell out of all players you gave which would be best to download torrents (4-6 at a time) with good speed.

Which to choose Playon!HD or Playon!HD mini ?

this info is backed with close to a month and half worth R&D i did before i finally settled for a Acryan POHD. and having used it, i can undoubtedly say i got what i wanted.

now if torrents is what u want to make ur decision on, then i would suggest you just divide the two parts. get something like an asus n16 router and f/w flash it to run torrents using an attached usb hdd. buy a pohd mini or wait for a popbox to view these hi-res movies and shows u dl using lan capabilities.

my reason to split the two processes is that while doing torrents, the player stays on all along. its primary business is to act as a player so even though i have never experienced any issues while doing 3-4 torrents at full b/w speed, i still think it could be better if a lower power router that stays on always anyways did this.

i am glad to be of assistance !

How about all night download torrent & day time use only for watching movies.

I mean movie may go on till 2-3 hours so for that time one will not use torrent. I cant invest on both as of now so I am looking for media player which even supports torrent

3-4 torrents download at 120 Kbps should be amazing. Is anyone one of these egreat, Popcorn Hour NMT, Playon!HD runs torrent at this capacity ?

Praks said:
How about all night download torrent & day time use only for watching movies.

I mean movie may go on till 2-3 hours so for that time one will not use torrent. I cant invest on both as of now so I am looking for media player which even supports torrent

3-4 torrents download at 120 Kbps should be amazing. Is anyone one of these egreat, Popcorn Hour NMT, Playon!HD runs torrent at this capacity ?

well on the POHD, i have torrents downloading 24x7. irrespective of whether a movie is being watched or i am away from home.

all of these players have capacity to run torrents at even higher speeds. it is a general practice to limit the max download speed to 85% of your total b/w for best performance.

the players, all of them support torrents. but thanks to another thread here i found out about plug computing. i think i am gonna shift my torrenting to that just to feel better... :bleh:

Eh are you talking about Guruplug ?

Is there any major diff b/w Playon!HD & Playon!HD Mini ? One just said you can download torrents on external HDD. I guess both should do it.

Which Playon!HD do you have & mind telling the best price u paid ?

Praks said:
Eh are you talking about Guruplug ?

Is there any major diff b/w Playon!HD & Playon!HD Mini ? One just said you can download torrents on external HDD. I guess both should do it.

Which Playon!HD do you have & mind telling the best price u paid ?

yeah i was talking abt guru plug server plus... its the top most on my list now !

playonhd and mini are very different. follow this link and see the difference. the playonhd has the ability to gobble a 3.5" hdd of upto 2tb internally. from then on u can use this drive as a NAS, for torrents etc. the mini is just a player with network capacity. its based on a smaller chipset and presently cant do torrents as such.

the video rendering capacity of both is just the same. now depending upon what u want to do. you can go with the big daddy playonhd with its bowerful processor and ram and inhouse hdd that u install and then flash to work with third party software for running torrents.

or like i was suggesting, buy the cheaper mini, run torrents seperately and then watch them using mini. nothing like if u can get ur hands on the plug. for someone in china, it should cost half the price. do torrents on it and use the mini for everything else.

Interesting Thread. For a computer semi literate, this thread is by and large greek and latin, but, I am kinda sold on Praks requirements.

I am buying a Philips 5609 32" LCD and I would primarily use it to run HD movies, preferably using the USB slot (Simple for a semi-literate).

Now, this WDTV live looks an interesting concept to me ( THanks PRaks).

Dheeraj bhai... U need to help me set things up here. And trust me, I read every reply of yours, most of it are bouncers for me.

I will have a Full HD TV in 2 days. I am game to spend another 10k approx. for a requirement similar to Praks.

I am currently running my poor PC overnight, d/ling movies and watching them currently on the PC itself. I had this grand plan of watching it on Flash drives connected to LCD.

PLease help in setting this... I am in COchin and I have a wired broadband connection. I can buy a wireless modem and go wifi at home.

WHAT NEXT..........awaiting...... AND PLEASE DONT GIVE UP ON ME...:D

Interesting Thread. For a computer semi literate, this thread is by and large greek and latin, but, I am kinda sold on Praks requirements.

I am buying a Philips 5609 32" LCD and I would primarily use it to run HD movies, preferably using the USB slot (Simple for a semi-literate).

its best not to pin your hopes too high on the usb on the TV. it has been rather short in actual use because the codecs required for playing various media d/l from the inet, are missing at large.

Now, this WDTV live looks an interesting concept to me ( THanks PRaks).

Dheeraj bhai... U need to help me set things up here. And trust me, I read every reply of yours, most of it are bouncers for me.

i can assist you if you go with a ACRYAN Playon!HD media player. i have it and use it play media of all kinds. it houses a 1TB HDD and acts as a network storage device. further, it works as a download rig running torrents in the background. i dont own the WDTV though i am sure the power of forums and google can help you.

I will have a Full HD TV in 2 days. I am game to spend another 10k approx. for a requirement similar to Praks.

I am currently running my poor PC overnight, d/ling movies and watching them currently on the PC itself. I had this grand plan of watching it on Flash drives connected to LCD.

congratulations ! and keeps ur expectations low for the usb on tv.

PLease help in setting this... I am in COchin and I have a wired broadband connection. I can buy a wireless modem and go wifi at home.

WHAT NEXT..........awaiting...... AND PLEASE DONT GIVE UP ON ME...:D
dont worry... we all here to help !

dheerajjotwani said:
its best not to pin your hopes too high on the usb on the TV. it has been rather short in actual use because the codecs required for playing various media d/l from the inet, are missing at large.
i can assist you if you go with a ACRYAN Playon!HD media player. i have it and use it play media of all kinds. it houses a 1TB HDD and acts as a network storage device. further, it works as a download rig running torrents in the background. i dont own the WDTV though i am sure the power of forums and google can help you.

congratulations ! and keeps ur expectations low for the usb on tv.
dont worry... we all here to help !

Great boss...

Now to begin with, does the Acryan take wifi?... Coz the connection in my house is in the bedroom and it would be messy dragging cords.

Also, can u list the hardware i need to buy and their approximate cost?

ripper said:
Great boss...

Now to begin with, does the Acryan take wifi?... Coz the connection in my house is in the bedroom and it would be messy dragging cords.

Also, can u list the hardware i need to buy and their approximate cost?

yeah the playonHd can work on wifi with an additional wifi dongle. but in my previous testing, i found torrenting unstable with wifi on it. i am running it wired.

the playonhd with wifi dongle should cost u around 14-15k with a one year warranty. the cost of the hdd you install within it will be additional.

so, in this setup, does the LCD work as the monitor also?.... I hope it snot a silly question :D

I hope we can use the new reliance netconnect usb modem with te unit for internet... They have good speeds too!

What about the keyboard and mouse... how do u pick ur movies for d/l from the net?

And can we put this on a UPS backup???

ripper said:
so, in this setup, does the LCD work as the monitor also?.... I hope it snot a silly question :D

And can we put this on a UPS backup???

it aint a computer running ur desired OS... its simply a media player which is doing torrents on the side. when u have internet connected thru wif or lan cable, why would you need a reliance net connect :bangin:

and yes for it to stay on uninterrupted power, you may use a ups like i do !

dheerajjotwani said:
it aint a computer running ur desired OS... its simply a media player which is doing torrents on the side. when u have internet connected thru wif or lan cable, why would you need a reliance net connect :bangin:

and yes for it to stay on uninterrupted power, you may use a ups like i do !

I checked on the reliance option since u were not so sure of wifi doing torrent uninterruptedly!

And YES, I shall buy the UPS for both player and TV together!!!:cool2:

But , and I Know, Patience is a Virtue...:eek:hyeah:... and I hope u have loads of it....

Suppose I have a wireless modem fixed for my PC in the bedroom and this player is fixed to the LCD in the living room, and I need to download the Bluray version of AVATAR from piratebay.org, on the media player and switch of my PC, can u take me step by step...

Please dont miss steps which u may think as obvious or basic.... u r talking to an illiterate here... :huh:

- I Have switched on the wifi and the PC, logged into my account and activated the broadband...

- I have switched on the Media player....

- Now ........

ripper said:
I checked on the reliance option since u were not so sure of wifi doing torrent uninterruptedly!

And YES, I shall buy the UPS for both player and TV together!!!:cool2:

But , and I Know, Patience is a Virtue...:eek:hyeah:... and I hope u have loads of it....

Suppose I have a wireless modem fixed for my PC in the bedroom and this player is fixed to the LCD in the living room, and I need to download the Bluray version of AVATAR from piratebay.org, on the media player and switch of my PC, can u take me step by step...
Please dont miss steps which u may think as obvious or basic.... u r talking to an illiterate here... :huh:
- I Have switched on the wifi and the PC, logged into my account and activated the broadband...
- I have switched on the Media player....
- Now ........

now thats not how it works.

how you make it work is to provide it internet thru wifi or wired lan cable, both of which may either come through a modem or router. now u insist on not having cables running through your house and i understand that, in that case u can buy a second router/repeater which connects to your original wifi router and then connects using a wire to this playon!hd...

i wonder if i made sense with that... btw i am sure wifi torrenting should work on the POHD now, just that i have not tried it after my first experience. i was anyways wanting to have a wire running to it to have a faster NAS experience!

dheerajjotwani said:
now thats not how it works.

how you make it work is to provide it internet thru wifi or wired lan cable, both of which may either come through a modem or router. now u insist on not having cables running through your house and i understand that, in that case u can buy a second router/repeater which connects to your original wifi router and then connects using a wire to this playon!hd...

i wonder if i made sense with that... btw i am sure wifi torrenting should work on the POHD now, just that i have not tried it after my first experience. i was anyways wanting to have a wire running to it to have a faster NAS experience!

I guess I understood. Keep one wifi transmitter near my modem and a wifi reciever near the playon and connect the reciever to playon ethernet.. right?

But boss.. u havent answered my q on how to d/l from the website....waiting..

ripper said:
But boss.. u havent answered my q on how to d/l from the website....waiting..

there are two ways of downloading.

1. using native client on the POHd. this is a hassle free method. using your pc, you download a .torrent file and place it in the POHD torrent folder over your network. On your POHD connected TV, the torrent can then be monitored and controlled.

2. Installing OPTWARE on POHd and then installing a third party client like Transmission. transmission is light weight and yet powerful in options. however to set it up and keep it working usually requires some elementary knowledge of linux commands. its not impossible, but yes a little involving. The procedure for d/l torrent remains the same as above, the only difference being that transmission cannot be monitored in the torrents section of the POHd on your TV, you can do it on your computer though or an android phone for that matter !

dheerajjotwani said:
there are two ways of downloading.

1. using native client on the POHd. this is a hassle free method. using your pc, you download a .torrent file and place it in the POHD torrent folder over your network. On your POHD connected TV, the torrent can then be monitored and controlled.

2. Installing OPTWARE on POHd and then installing a third party client like Transmission. transmission is light weight and yet powerful in options. however to set it up and keep it working usually requires some elementary knowledge of linux commands. its not impossible, but yes a little involving. The procedure for d/l torrent remains the same as above, the only difference being that transmission cannot be monitored in the torrents section of the POHd on your TV, you can do it on your computer though or an android phone for that matter !

The first option looks vaguely understandable to me. Second option is ruled out... I cant make head or tail of that!

Now, to set things up, I am ready to go...

Checked the Playon website... Planning to buy
- PlayonHD ACR-PV73100 - They say it can support upto 2TB... Now, do I need to buy 2 TB and fix it in???... Need to check that one from the forum of the site... Dheeraj.. can u help me here?
- I have a modem for my broadband from reliance... How many routers/ wifi modem etc need I buy?... Can u suggest some models here?
- The HDMI cable comes free with the unit. Do i need more cables?
- Planning to buy the SONY Bravia 32" EX500 today.

Place to buy.... PLayon website suggests...
AqTronics Technologies
#1616, 8th Main Road
3rd Block Jayanagar,
Bangalore 560011 Tel: +91 80-41210347

Can u recommend a site that can give me dealers in Cochin???

Dheeraj bhai... I hope u will help me all the way to set this thing at my place...

The first option looks vaguely understandable to me. Second option is ruled out... I cant make head or tail of that!
fair choice !
Now, to set things up, I am ready to go...

Checked the Playon website... Planning to buy
- PlayonHD ACR-PV73100 - They say it can support upto 2TB... Now, do I need to buy 2 TB and fix it in???... Need to check that one from the forum of the site... Dheeraj.. can u help me here?
yeah you will have to buy a 3.5" SATA hdd. even if it is 5400rpm in place of 7200rpm, no issues. plaing it inside the playonhd is simple. two screws unscrewed at the bottom of the player, and u attach the cables and screw the lid back on.
- I have a modem for my broadband from reliance... How many routers/ wifi modem etc need I buy?... Can u suggest some models here?
reliance BB needs you to sign in for connection everytime? what i am willing to do for you is to try d/ling a torrent thru the inbuilt torrent client using pohd wifi dongle. if it works well then u might be able to avoid the two router thing can just go with one. but that can only happen later tonight.
- The HDMI cable comes free with the unit. Do i need more cables?
- Planning to buy the SONY Bravia 32" EX500 today.
you get one hdmi with this. but incase u have a HT/receiver you might need one more hdmi cable. nice choice for the TV though :p

Place to buy.... PLayon website suggests...
AqTronics Technologies
#1616, 8th Main Road
3rd Block Jayanagar,
Bangalore 560011 Tel: +91 80-41210347

Can u recommend a site that can give me dealers in Cochin???
yup they are pretty much the only sellers in India. ask for Mr. Ranga (cell# 09880848036). you can give him my reference. i doubt though that would have any bearing on the price ;). they would ship it to you pronto and free of cost.

Dheeraj bhai... I hope u will help me all the way to set this thing at my place...
no sweat !

Back