What stuff to keep in a 'home medical-kit' ?

Argus

Adept
Hi,
I wish to prepare a list of medicines that can be a part of any home medical kit.

At present I can think of the following :
  • Levcet-5 for common cold
  • Anti-OZ for loose motions
  • Royal-Spas for stomach ache
  • Brustan for pain/fever
  • Vomistop for stopping vomitting
  • Moov spray for muscular pain
  • Zandu Balm for : body ache, cold, headache
  • Soframycin for minor cuts on skin
  • Burnol for burns
  • Cotton, gauze, scissors
  • Dettol liquid for general dis-infecting
  • Band-aid strips for minor nicks n cuts
  • Crocin for fever

Please suggest more. Basically, the kit should have medicine for common health problems like : fever, pain, cuts n burns, stomach ache, vomitting, loose motions, allergy, headache etc.

Warning : Please DO NOT use any medicine mentioned in any post here without FIRST consulting your physician.

Cetzine for allergies and cold

I prefer Savlon to Dettol. Dettol is just too strong. And if used directly on skin without diluting, can cause skin burns. (Heard from someone.)

Its always good to have betadine in your kit. Ointment as well as the antibiotic solution. I prefer betadine to dettol/savlon wrt cleaning wounds.

You forgot to incl. the most common ailments humans face these days--Acidity

Eno
Digene
Gelosil (though it seriously sucks for me but works good on other people)
Kayam churna (works like charm on many stomach ailments)

Make sure you are not allergic to the molecule of the drug.
I have known people who are allergic to paracetamol, took a crocin and landed up in the hospital.

Yeah I too prefer Savlon over dettol. Another is Boroline / Devdali for antiseptic cream. And I guess Norflox TZ works better in case of loose motions :p

For allergy Allegra is best and Zimig is best cream for the people sufferring from temporary fungal infections in private parts due to long hours of usage of undergarments. (These medicines are suggested by reputed Dermatologist only)[DOUBLEPOST=1408803299][/DOUBLEPOST]One more thing, Lemons works great for instant relief from allergy in mouth due to Brinjal / Prawn / Crab / Other Sea Fish.

Last edited:
You can add thermometer to your kit.

I keep the following in my kit for extracting thorns, splinters, glass shards, in-grown hair etc:
- pair of tweezers, forceps
- stainless steel pick
- handheld lens

BTW, I'd like to add "tincture of iodine" to the debate on Dettol Vs Savlon Vs Betadine :D I guess Dettol has much wider applications.

Yeah I too prefer Savlon over dettol. Another is Boroline / Devdali for antiseptic cream. And I guess Norflox TZ works better in case of loose motions :p

For allergy Allegra is best and Zimig is best cream for the people sufferring from temporary fungal infections in private parts due to long hours of usage of undergarments. (These medicines are suggested by reputed Dermatologist only)[DOUBLEPOST=1408803299][/DOUBLEPOST]One more thing, Lemons works great for instant relief from allergy in mouth due to Brinjal / Prawn / Crab / Other Sea Fish.
Which lemon are you referring to? Normal green lemon or orange or mausambi?
How to apply it to allergic area?
Squeeze out juice and apply directly to affected area? Or prepare lemonade for drinking?

Which lemon are you referring to? Normal green lemon or orange or mausambi?
How to apply it to allergic area?
Squeeze out juice and apply directly to affected area? Or prepare lemonade for drinking?

Green Lemon. I have found it useful many times when I catch allergy from Bringal and Prawn / Crabs. Just put it the lemon in mouth and try to keep it sometime.

Well, it only works in case of allergy inside mouth. Don't know whether it'll help in case of others too. Never tried. You see the acid kills those all.

Back