Graphic Cards VGA cooler for 8600GT

zapout

Disciple
hi guys im planning to buy a vga cooler for my gpu my budget is 800Rs.:ashamed:

xfx nvidia 8600gt xxx edition(PV-T84J-UDD7)

Idle-74-78

Load-95-102:frusty:

my gpu idle temp is very high:(

im thinking of cooler master CoolVivaG1

please suggest any cooler in this price range which is better then this one

thanks in advance:cool2:

my pc spec.

intel p4 3.2Ghz

2x1gb kingston 667mhz

500GB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

corsair vx450

motherbaord:d102ggc2

rear 80mm cooler master exhaust fan

and a side panel 80mm intake fan

first of all i dont know why ur 8600GT is this hot.

my suggestion once remove n clean it thoroughly i had the same card, also am assuming the side panel is not one behind mobo but is on the left hand side facing ur cpu n mobo.

If this side fan is over CPU then ok. if this side fan is over the GPU then make it exhaust rather than intake. In case your fan is on CPU then actually get your side panel drilled finely and make another slot for a 80 mm or 120mm fan. in front of ur GC. make this exhaust n it should solve heat issues.

to invest for a GC cooler for 8600 is not advisable by me. better air flow might help your problem

i cleaned the gc but it did not help, the side panel fan is over the cpu

my cabinet is a cheap one and does not support 120mm fans

what if i buy a new cabinet with front 120mm intake and rear 120mm exhaust??

see if its a cheaper cabinet then all u need to do is a drill another grill. if its cheap then u need not worry how it would look like.

like this image

http://www.cowcotland.com/images/news/2007/09/CM690.jpg

now like ur present cabinet u have one slot which is for cpu ... Now you need to create the second slot to put an 80mm high CFM fan as exhaust for ur GPU. the lower grill helps exhausting hot GPU air.

you can try in normal hardware shop. make a stencil grill with pencil on ur panel n take it to the shop. plus a fan only needs a 3/4 pin molex so cheaper n may be better solution.

if its well positioned as in if its just below ur GPU fan this looks interesting too...

only thing the fan is only 22CFM rest it should help you a bit...

Coolviva G1 is an excellent cooler for the 8600GT. I still remember there was a model of 8600GT with this same cooler.

But as others said, 8600GT should not get so hot. Either its the fans which are not working due to dust clogging or something or the thermal paste is dried up.

Try replacing the stock paste with Arctic MX2. And clean the fan and heatsink.
Dis should significantly reduce the temps. U can add a 80mm intake fan right below the graphics card as well.

If all doesn't work, the get the Coolviva G1. :)

You can replace the card saying its overheating. They ll surelly replace it if its of batch UDF5/UDH3/UDL3 etc, which all have addressed heating issues.

i think its the earlier model heatsink on this card. Get it under RMA from rashi, and if the service guy is ignorant bout the problem, say him, XFX guarentee replacements of these batches, just sent it for RMA.

clown_abhi said:
Coolviva G1 is an excellent cooler for the 8600GT. I still remember there was a model of 8600GT with this same cooler.

But as others said, 8600GT should not get so hot. Either its the fans which are not working due to dust clogging or something or the thermal paste is dried up.

Try replacing the stock paste with Arctic MX2. And clean the fan and heatsink.
Dis should significantly reduce the temps. U can add a 80mm intake fan right below the graphics card as well.

If all doesn't work, the get the Coolviva G1. :)

Yes, I would suggest the same. Try with a fresh layer of thermal compound after cleaning the heatsink. Should help.

There is nothing better than MX2 or Tuniq TX2. Get any of these.

Dnt make mods to the default heatsink fan. Either change it or dnt to avoid RMA issues. :cool2:

modding takes of ur RMA :) so i was suggesting other ways :)

u know one more way out is u take few wires and hook on with wires a 120 mm on top of ur GPU.

u know just tieing it up on the GPU fans with some wire or grips. and see the difference. This kinda modding wont harm :) as u not touching ur original heatsink

should i take it to the shop i bought it??

the gpu box have a sticker saying "3 years rashi warranty"

whats this rashi thing???

Yep, you can take it to whoever you purchased it from & they should handle the warranty claim. It might take a while [not too sure as I have don't have much experience with warranty].

Rashi peripherals is the currently the distributor of XFX graphics cards in India. Hence the sticker. Also, you can even approach them directly for the warranty claim settlement.

Before giving the card for an RMA, just remember about what I'd said as regards physical damage to the card. [So for e.g., if there's any broken fan blade, get it glued with araldite or something]. In other words, if there's physical damage, try & ensure it's not obvious. If there's none, don't touch anything!

Another thing is, you could ask for a new replacement card altogether & not just repair of the fan. However, I'm not too sure whether they genuinely give a new card or just another repaired one, posing as a new one. So it's best to ask for the heatsink + fan to be replaced, if you're otherwise happy with the card, IMHO.

Yet another thing is, if Rashi doesn't have an 8600gt replacement, they might offer you either another card [which generally compares poorly to the original] or a credit note of a value equivalent to what they believe is the current value of your card. If something like this happens, be sure to do your research 1st before taking up any such offer.

Don't worry, my reply's just trying to cover the worst case scenario. It' generally not too much of a hassle. Good luck.

threre is no physical damage, the card is good as new

if i return this to the retailer, is there any chance that i'll have this "credit note" or "replace with other equivalent card" option????

can i get a 9800gt or 4830 by giving some extra cash to rashi??

Back